or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

Car engine restarts when passenger door opens from inside - impatient wife!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
retiredone   
Sun Jul 17 2016, 04:08pm
Member No: #44730
Hi, I have a 2015 Grand Picasso BluHDi auto EAT6 Exclusive+, when I stop the car by pushing the start/off button with my foot still on the break pedal, the engine stops as expected, I haven't yet moved the auto lever to park position and all doors are still locked but my impatient wife opens the passenger door from the inside to get out and to my suprise the car engine restarts - any ideas please or is this normal ?
FrankBullitt   
Mon Jul 18 2016, 04:28am

Member No: #19238
Normal - the ignition is still 'live', the bonnet open is inside the passengers door; it is designed so that if somebody then puts their head under the bonnet and wraps their tie around the alternator the engine isn't accidentally started with the obvious effect.

It does the same thing if the stop-start function has stopped the engine and the passengers door is opened, the engine will re-start - it's a safety feature.
1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 retiredone (18 Jul 2016 : 04:31)
retiredone   
Mon Jul 18 2016, 04:30am
FrankBullitt wrote ...

Normal - the ignition is still 'live', the bonnet open is inside the passengers door; it is designed so that if somebody then puts their head under the bonnet and wraps their tie around the alternator the engine isn't accidentally started with the obvious effect.

It does the same thing if the stop-start function has stopped the engine and the passengers door is opened, the engine will re-start - it's a safety feature.

retiredone   
Mon Jul 18 2016, 04:47am
FrankBullitt wrote ...

Thanks for feedback but whether the stop-start function has stopped the engine or I have activated the start/stop button if I open the drivers door it doesn't start the engine but only sets off alarms. I am still concerned as not sure this is a safety feature as the passenger opening their door starts the engine, why not just set off alarms the same as opening the drivers door which activates alarms and doesn't start the engine? Went to a Citroen main dealer today and they told me "its normal" and they are aware of the problem but there is nothing they can do about it.
Retireone (Barry)
retiredone   
Mon Jul 18 2016, 05:02am
Thanks for feedback but whether the stop-start function has stopped the engine or I have activated the start/stop button if I open the drivers door it doesn't start the engine but only sets off alarms. I am still concerned as not sure this is a safety feature as the passenger opening their door starts the engine, why not just set off alarms the same as opening the drivers door which activates alarms and doesn't start the engine? Went to a Citroen main dealer today and they told me "its normal" and they are aware of the problem but there is nothing they can do about it.
Retireone (Barry)
rusky   
Mon Jul 18 2016, 01:18pm
Member No: #27768
Because if you drive on the wrong side (a LHD car) you need to open the drivers door (passenger in our case) to open the bonnet.

If the engine starts, it's going to be more obvious than an alarm in the cabin especially if the person opening the bonnet from the front isn't the one inside the car that popped the bonnet.
Vannin   
Sat Dec 03 2016, 11:29am
Member No: #46270
Mine is a LHD in Spain, with the bonnet opening latch on my left foot area. No restarts on this model - its a UK 'thing'?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member