or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Creaking noise from rear at low speeds

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
grahambeale   
Thu Jun 30 2016, 03:42pm
Member No: #45296
Hi all,

We've recently purchased a 2014 Grand Picasso from a Citoen dealer. We took it away on our holiday for the first two weeks and noticed a rather disconcerting creaking noise from the rear of the vehicle. It only seems to happen at low speeds especially when turning.

I've uploaded a short video to demonstrate the issue (link below). I'd be keen to hear if any one else has suffered the same issue and what the likely resolution might be.

Many thanks!

- Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to grahambeale for this Post :
 Duck999 (14 Nov 2017 : 16:18)
connectum   
Sat Jul 02 2016, 03:56am
Member No: #36329
Sound like it needs a new axle see here.
- Click Here -

get it back in under warranty urgently, not certain its a known issue but I would say it needs fixing or rejecting.
dmpzsn   
Sat Jul 02 2016, 03:27pm
Member No: #25128
I had a metallic rattle like a loose heat shield, that turned out to be the axle, being replaced in a couple of weeks, 2015 gp.
Dave
Trotsky   
Sun Aug 21 2016, 07:39pm
Member No: #35538
I too seem to have this issue. Can anyone confirm that replacement of the rear axle fixed the problem. Thanks
grahambeale   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 06:15am
Trotsky wrote ...

I too seem to have this issue. Can anyone confirm that replacement of the rear axle fixed the problem. Thanks

Hi there,
I can confirm that my local Citroen dealer replaced the rear axle under warrantee without any quibble. However... I did mentioned that I had seen many other reports about the same issue online. I think owners who reported this problem early had a more protracted experience from Citroen - they went through a process of replacing associated parts before they ordered in a new axle.

It took 2/3 weeks for the axle to arrive at my dealer and it was installed and returned within one day.

I hope this helps you,

Graham
Trotsky   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 07:34am
Member No: #35538
Thanks Graham. It occurs very intermittently at low speeds on my c4gp. It was very obvious when driving down from a multi-storey parking lot over the weekend though. I'll find a way to consistently replicate the creaking noise before visiting the dealer.
grahambeale   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 08:20am
Trotsky wrote ...

Thanks Graham. It occurs very intermittently at low speeds on my c4gp. It was very obvious when driving down from a multi-storey parking lot over the weekend though. I'll find a way to consistently replicate the creaking noise before visiting the dealer.

I think its worse when one side of the axle is raised (on a hill or raised area). I suspect the floor ramps in the car park provided this scenario.
1 User said Thank You to grahambeale for this Post :
 Trotsky (22 Aug 2016 : 08:32)
bluehdi   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 12:43pm
Member No: #2617
As has been mentioned, there is a formal TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this issue (B3DW010CQ0), entitled: Grinding Noise from the rear of the vehicle

On uneven road surfaces, or when driving off pavements or when the vehicle moves off sharply

Repair: Replace the rear suspension crossmember.

I know there were issues with a modified part being available to supply dealers, but from the end of Feb 2016, these became generally available.

Its quite a big job, booked at 4.50 hours.

As has been said before, you are sometimes better not to specifically mention your knowledge of the TSB details, rather that 'you've heard from someone else who had the same trouble that there is a bulletin about it'!
1 User said Thank You to bluehdi for this Post :
 Trotsky (23 Aug 2016 : 07:35)
vimto2000   
Tue Sep 20 2016, 07:12am
Member No: #37385
Great...it sounds like my car has this issue!

Not really in the mood to take in it at the moment...will just keep the windows wound up and music loud!
Duck999   
Tue Nov 14 2017, 04:20pm
Member No: #48434
grahambeale wrote ...

Hi all,

We've recently purchased a 2014 Grand Picasso from a Citoen dealer. We took it away on our holiday for the first two weeks and noticed a rather disconcerting creaking noise from the rear of the vehicle. It only seems to happen at low speeds especially when turning.

I've uploaded a short video to demonstrate the issue (link below). I'd be keen to hear if any one else has suffered the same issue and what the likely resolution might be.

Many thanks!

- Click Here -

Thanks. For the post. The creaking has been driving me crazy for 2 months on my C4GP. I had paid over £100 to have brakes replaced, checked etc. So it's a known rear axle issue.
Duck999   
Wed Nov 15 2017, 08:56am
dmpzsn wrote ...

I had a metallic rattle like a loose heat shield, that turned out to be the axle, being replaced in a couple of weeks, 2015 gp.
Dave

Any updates dmpzsn? This is exactly the sound I am hearing. It misled me and my local mechanic to believing it was something to do with the heat shields next the to rear brakes. The mechanic even bent it a bit so that it is well away from the brakes. 2014 GP.
danlat1415   
Wed Nov 15 2017, 09:27am
Member No: #48933
Does anyone know if these Bullitin issues can be done outside warranty periods, or do you need to pay?
I've got a 63 plate C4P (Nov 2013) with a slight noise from the rear. I don't know if it's this issue or not, but I'm just wondering if it's too late to get it sorted by Citroen for free, or if I now have to pay?
(I bought the car second hand, and was outside 3 years when I bought it).
dmpzsn   
Wed Nov 15 2017, 12:39pm
Member No: #25128
Duck999 wrote ...

dmpzsn wrote ...

Dave

Any updates dmpzsn? This is exactly the sound I am hearing. It misled me and my local mechanic to believing it was something to do with the heat shields next the to rear brakes. The mechanic even bent it a bit so that it is well away from the brakes. 2014 GP.

I had the axle replaced with no noise since then. From what I've read on here, it seems that the garages are now filling the axle with some form of sealant, hope it doesn't leak.
Dave
1 User said Thank You to dmpzsn for this Post :
 Duck999 (16 Nov 2017 : 06:06)
Duck999   
Thu Nov 16 2017, 06:06am
danlat1415 wrote ...

Does anyone know if these Bullitin issues can be done outside warranty periods, or do you need to pay?
I've got a 63 plate C4P (Nov 2013) with a slight noise from the rear. I don't know if it's this issue or not, but I'm just wondering if it's too late to get it sorted by Citroen for free, or if I now have to pay?

I have extended warranty and my car to due for an oil change/interim service. I will ask the friendly Robin & Day service manager to see whether it is (part) chargeable covered by warranty. Will update.
Duck999   
Tue Dec 19 2017, 04:01pm
Duck999 wrote ...

danlat1415 wrote ...

I have extended warranty and my car to due for an oil change/interim service. I will ask the friendly Robin & Day service manager to see whether it is (part) chargeable covered by warranty. Will update.

Update. Went for servicing few days ago and mentioned the "creaking rear axle" and that "I knew someone also had this issue and it was fixed". The servicing manager spent a few minutes searching through his computer and then told me there is indeed such an issue in the logs. It will be rectified by drilling "two holes into the rear axle" and "sealant form would be pumped into it". As the form will take time to settle and harden the car would need to spend a whole day's time in their garage. So will have to be done early next year. Date already booked for early next year! The best part is, it is covered and will be fixed for free Will update in Jan.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member