or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Hatch 2005 1.4 Petrol would not start!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
AdrianC   
Tue Jun 21 2016, 01:06pm
Member No: #45293
Hi,

I bought a Citroen C4 Hatch 2005 1.4 Petrol 49k Miles last week. The car started fine and I drove it without a problem for 2 days. On the third day, the car would not start.

I thought it could be the battery so I put it on charge and the car started! but it displays Economy mode active and an antipollution fault. I read on the forum that you could still drive and sometimes this problem just goes off, but after 5 minutes driving, it lost its power, it didn't accelerate and the car completely stopped.

I called the breakdown company and the guy said that according to his computer, it was to do with the ignition coil. I ordered a new one which only arrived today and after testing it, it didn't work. I jump started the car and after a couple of goes it started but after a few seconds it cut off again.

I tried another battery on the car and it didn't work. The central screen that displays the speed most time just goes off and the rev screen on the steering wheel also cuts off. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you very much for taking your time to read this, I highly appreciate it.
Many thanks,
Adrian.
NikolaH   
Wed Jun 22 2016, 08:29am
Member No: #44435
checked the fuses? I had something similar but turned out to be loose batery therminals next time it acts up on you try moving the terminals under the hood and if it makes a change you know what it is Hope this helps you
1 User said Thank You to NikolaH for this Post :
 Honest (22 Jun 2016 : 13:15)
AdrianC   
Fri Jul 15 2016, 05:53pm
Member No: #45293
Hi,

A mechanic came around 3 weeks ago, he plugged in his computer and the problem still shows as the ignition coil. He then checked all the fuses and they were all good. He also changed the spark plugs as they were old and the car started for a few seconds until it just cut off.

Then an auto electrician came around and his computer also showed that the problem still was to do with the ignition coil. He then checked the ignition coil and he said the ignition coil did work, but he thought the compresion of the engine was low, so he then recommened to call the mechanic again as he thought it was a mechanical problem.

The mechanic came back and he said the mechanical parts of the vehicle are all good. The compression of the car was also good (The auto electrician obviously didn't do it properly). He got ride of the errors of the car with his computer and the car actually started for a few seconds until it cut off. He then said to contact the auto electrician again as according to him it is definitely an electrical fault. Something just cuts the engine off after a few seconds, like a safe mode.

Can anyone help me? I am desperate to try to get it fix! and the auto electrician it's taken ages to come back to have a look at it.

Many thanks for your help,
Adrian.
NikolaH   
Sat Jul 16 2016, 01:35am
Member No: #44435
Many c4's especialy the first series (meaning first years of production) have a problem with the ecu programing and there is an update that any official dealer that has the factory citroen computer menagment program can install it on the car and the problem is fixed. Ask around for this and maybe this would be your solution since i have a friend that had 1.4 2005 and had to do this reinstall at 60kkm but had no problem since. Hope this helps

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member