or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Gearbox stuck and hot smell

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
northspoon   
Mon Jun 20 2016, 03:28am
Member No: #4689
This issue may be a "one off", but hope someone could let me know if this is something I need to get the dealer to look at?

I have a 2015 C4 GP S&S 120 BluHDi auto EAT6 Exclusive+. I was returning from a short (8 mile) journey when, after accelerating from a speed ramp, the engine seemed to get stuck in 2nd gear. I had to use the paddle on the steering wheel to change up. My journey home was another half mile, but there was a hot smell, like a burning clutch or hot plastic, when I stopped the car.

Does this auto version have a clutch? What might have caused this to happen?
bluehdi   
Mon Jun 20 2016, 11:55am
Member No: #2617
No clutch on the EAT6 gearbox.

You could well find your car was carrying out a DPF regeneration, which when activating, does cause the car to do odd things to ensure high temperature is reached. Your short journey probably won't have been long enough to finish. The smell you had afterwards is something that is familiar again, after a DPF regen.

if you can avoid switching off the car part way through a regen, so it has opportunity to fully complete that's always good. However knowing its doing it is another matter, but you'll know when the car performs slightly differently than normal.

I'd keep an eye on it.
Eeeps   
Mon Jun 20 2016, 01:25pm
Member No: #44054
bluehdi wrote ...

No clutch on the EAT6 gearbox.

You could well find your car was carrying out a DPF regeneration, which when activating, does cause the car to do odd things to ensure high temperature is reached. Your short journey probably won't have been long enough to finish. The smell you had afterwards is something that is familiar again, after a DPF regen.

if you can avoid switching off the car part way through a regen, so it has opportunity to fully complete that's always good. However knowing its doing it is another matter, but you'll know when the car performs slightly differently than normal.

I'd keep an eye on it.

I agree with you BlueHDi on this. The regeneration smell is quite disturbing. Another indicator that a regen is taking place is the 'failure' of the stop / start function.
If the gearbox would change up when forced it doesn't sound like any mechanical issue.

OP - what revs did the engine get to?
northspoon   
Tue Jun 21 2016, 03:33am
Thanks for the advice. I have booked the car in to my dealer to be looked at tomorrow.

The smell was coming from the front of the car and noticed in the car. I didn't take a note of the rpm when the gear didn't change up, but it must of been around 2500-3000 rpm, since I could hear the engine noise more. The car was accelerating on the level at the time.
northspoon   
Wed Jun 22 2016, 09:06am
Just to update, in case it helps anyone else with this issue:

I took my car into my dealer this morning who spent a long time with the car. The diagnostics showed up an error code which they didn't recognise and have sent this on to Citroen technical to investigate.

At this stage they don't think it is the DPF regenerating causing the issue. They say the smell and the gearbox issue is probably linked.
1 User said Thank You to northspoon for this Post :
 Eeeps (22 Jun 2016 : 10:39)
s60r   
Sat Jun 25 2016, 02:51am
Member No: #43715
Possibly the torque converter... Hopefully it will be sorted out under warranty for you.
northspoon   
Wed Jul 06 2016, 09:08am
Well my car has been back with the dealer now for 2 days and the full diagnostics have been sent to Citroen Technical. The dealer has now been asked to do more tests, as apparantly this is a known issue?

They have asked the dealer to replace the NOx sensor (on back order!), clean the earth pin on the gearbox CPU and check other connections.

Seems I might be without the car for a while
ggsumo   
Sun Aug 14 2016, 03:45pm
Member No: #44269
Did you get sorted?

We had a very similar problem but ours lit up like a Christmas tree every time I put the aircon on turned out the main cooling fans had failed but it didn't cause a fault code. We definitely had the hot plasticky smell which is why I mentioned it.
northspoon   
Mon Aug 15 2016, 03:25am
The dealer replaced the NOX sensor and checked other data connections as well as an update to the software.

The gearbox has not had any problems since, but I did get that "hot plastic" or "burning clutch" smell once in the past 2 weeks.

No explanation for that, except it could be the DPS which can reach 600 C, I am told. At least the garage has this on record should it develop into something major in the future.
Picco   
Fri Sep 16 2016, 12:00pm
Member No: #46218
I purchased a new March 2016 Grand Picasso 1.6HDi120 with the new EAT6 gearbox with the understanding that this torque converter gearbox was bullet proof.
I have the same problem as you except no smells to date. No problem during the first few miles or when driven quite sedately. After a few miles the gearbox will not change up from 2nd gear and sometimes other gears when I accelerate harder when this is required. I have to change up manually to rectify.
Two one week visits to the dealer who agrees with this happening verbally but finds no fault codes therefore has no answer to my problem.
Could you advise which dealer sorted your problem please?
northspoon   
Sat Sep 17 2016, 11:22am
It was Bollingmores in Sunbury. I have not had the problem since they did the things listed above in my previous posts.
1 User said Thank You to northspoon for this Post :
 Picco (17 Sep 2016 : 14:54)
Picco   
Sat Sep 17 2016, 02:56pm
Member No: #46218
Thank you for your help, will contact contact Bollingmores and see if they can assist me.
Cheers Picco

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member