or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Citroen C4 1.6 HDi engine dead

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
vladd.alex   
Thu Apr 14 2016, 11:57pm
Member No: #37430
Hello everyone. I have a big problem with my Citroen C4 1.6 HDi, 90 HP, and I am writing here thinking that someone can help me.

Yesterday morning, I went to work and after 1 km, my engine has stopped, without any sign, everything on the instrument cluster was unchanged, including the rotation per minute (still there). I saw that the engine has died when I wanted to push the brake.

I have tried several times to start the engine but after 5 seconds is dead and a lot of errors are appearing. If I get out the key, the instrument cluster and also the FAN are still working for 5 seconds.

I succeeded to enter with Lexia but for the first time in three years, on the "Injection" a question mark "?" is appearing instead of a YES or NO at Fault. After several tries, I've succeeded and the errors are the following:

In INJECTION: Can Communications No Communication: Can Absent or Automaric Gearbox Absent
In BSI: No communication with the engine management ECU - Not characterised - F015
In ABS: Remote Fault Permanent Fault General CAN

So I don't know what to do and how to start. Now the car is immobilized.

Thank you very much!
GPGeorge   
Fri Apr 15 2016, 11:54am
Member No: #44097
I would either be looking towards the engine bay fuse box or possibly the bsi unit, engine bay fuse box would be my first choice.
1 User said Thank You to GPGeorge for this Post :
 vladd.alex (18 Apr 2016 : 00:55)
Eeeps   
Fri Apr 15 2016, 04:25pm
Member No: #44054
Your faults clearly indicate that the diagnostic tool can't see any of the vehicle computers. I don't know the Citroen diagnostics tool but does it have CAN bus diagnosis?

If the tool can't see any of he vehicle computers then there are a number of possible reasons - but first a quick introduction to the CAN bus.

The CAN bus is a way that the numerous vehicle computers communicate with each other (including the diag tool).

Physically it's actually a two wire network; the same two wires going around the car from computer to computer.

The benefit of that is that very few wires are needed to connect all the vehicle systems (ECU, ABS, Cabin computer etc).

The down side I suspect is what you have encountered. If one of the two wires breaks, or they get shorted together, or to GND or +12v then everything stops.

So, from your diagnostic information I would suggest your two wire BUS is broken.

You really need a competent auto technician who has experience of diagnosing and correcting CAN bus faults.

Usually the first check is physical wiring and then resistance checks on the CAN bus wiring. Disconnecting all of the individual computers may also help determine where the problem is.

Remember; the car worked fine once so can always work again.

Cheers,

Ian
1 User said Thank You to Eeeps for this Post :
 vladd.alex (18 Apr 2016 : 00:55)
vladd.alex   
Mon Apr 18 2016, 12:55am
Member No: #37430
Thank you guys for the advice. I have removed the BSI connectors and plug them in again and I was able to connect with diagnostic tool and now the car is working. So it is a problem with the two wires from CAN High and CAN low. But, next step is to find exactly which wires are and from what connector, between BSI and Engine ECU. Can anyone help me with an electrical scheme? Thanks in advance!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member