or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

C4 Picasso Exclusive 1.6 BlueHDi EAT6 Gearbox Problem

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Digger4510   
Fri Mar 25 2016, 02:41pm
Member No: #42685
Hi all
This may have been asked but I have search and not found anything in relation to this problem.
Problem: The latest version of the PSA box is now basically a full auto with a torque converter I am led to believe, so you would expect a SMOOTH gear change in all gears. Not mine. I have discovered that when the car is started from cold, you get the typical autobox drone while it changes gears, not a problem gear changes are ok, but as the car gets warm you appear to loose the windup drone and the gears are fast changing, problem, from 1st to 2nd you sometime get that dreaded LUNGE you got from the ETG boxes, but only does it now and then sometimes gear changes are smooth, but not always and it amplifies more in creeping traffic, you get to the point where you have to leave big Gaps in traffic so you are not headbutting the screen,, it also lunges from 2nd to 3rd but not as bad as lower gears, in the upper gears nothing is detected,,
anyone on here experiencing the same problem as its getting to the point I am going to have to get the dealer involved and possibly get the normal reply AHH THAT CAR DOES THAT!

Thanks for reading

Ian
s60r   
Sat Mar 26 2016, 02:58am
Member No: #43715
I have the eat6 on 2.0 hdi.... And yes it has the odd "where did that come from" lumpy jerky change..... I think the car just does that

Seriously though, I'm not sure it's physical problem... It must be sortable via software. Check with Citroen dealer and see if there is a software patch to rectify it, even my old 2006 Jeep has a patch available to aid with 1st to 2nd changes. If Citroen can't help then perhaps a remap of the gearbox is possible, I haven't looked into it as my wife drives ours daily and she hasn't complained or noticed it surprisingly!
Eeeps   
Sat Mar 26 2016, 06:21am
Member No: #44054
Also have the EAT6 with the 2.0 Blue engine.

Generally, it's smooth changing up; might even say it keeps the gears a little too long when cold. Take-off from standstill is a little slow with normal accelerator depression but the gear changes are fine, just noticeable.

I do get the occasional lurch (slight) when the box changes down - third to second.

Given you seem to have a difference when the engine is warm it does sound like an issue.

Cheers,

Ian
FrankBullitt   
Sat Mar 26 2016, 09:31am

Member No: #19238
Eeeps wrote ...
Generally, it's smooth changing up; might even say it keeps the gears a little too long when cold.

It does this in order to reduce emissions, the engine gets warmer sooner by holding it on to low gears.
Eeeps   
Mon Mar 28 2016, 10:52am
Realised that I did not know much about how torque converters work so had a look at the wiki.

Seems that these hydraulic systems also have a bypass mechanism that mechanically couples the input to output drive to improve efficiency.
This is a clutch mechanism that should only engage at times when the torque converter is operating at minimal slip.

It could be that the converter on your box has a faulty by-pass clutch in that it is engaging when it shouldn't or possibly sticking.

Cheers,

Ian
gmerry   
Tue Mar 29 2016, 02:02am
Member No: #11625
Hi Eeeps, yes the EAT6 gearbox is a conventional autobox with torque convertor coupling and epicyclic geartrain elements. Its manufactured by Aisin. The "bypass" clutch you refer to is a usually referred to as a "lockup" clutch: as the name suggests, it locks the input and output shafts of the torque convertor together when slippage is not required (determined by the ECU to be not required).

If you have harshness or jerkiness problems, these could be caused by the lockup clutch or more LIKELY the gear changing brakes/clutches as controlled by the hydraulics. This is not normal. Suggest you approach the dealer to see if there is an ECU software upgrade available to improve the shift quality. If the software update does not correct the problem, there could be a mechanical problem with the pressure control solenoids which should be fixed under warranty.

Regards
G
s60r   
Tue Mar 29 2016, 03:07am
I think there are quite a few instances of this. I personally think it will be sortable with software. I will ask in the dealer next week when I am in. There were 2 recalls due on my car, so I will ask if there is a service bulletin for smoothing rough changes in the eat6.
gmerry   
Tue Mar 29 2016, 06:21am
Member No: #11625
Hi S60r, yes any roughness on a full autobox as new as the EAT6 will only get much worse over time if not corrected. The manufacturer /dealers have to work at coming up with a solution.

As part of the EAT6 development, some of the rotating elements (the clutch packs) were drastically slimmed down to reduce parasitic (viscometric drag) losses. If this has resulted in clutch snatch then Aisin/Citroen will need to keep working at the software calibration until the gearboxes work in a seamless manner. A lot of it will be down to calibrating the Engine ECU to Gearbox ECU coordination, seems a shame this was not fully sorted out in the model development.

A long shot... one other thing might be to switch off the stop/start system if fitted and see if this makes any difference whatsoever (hydraulic control pressure is generated by engine/gearbox idle or internal electric pump).

Regards
G
bluehdi   
Fri Apr 01 2016, 05:27am
Member No: #2617
I've noticed, normally when I haven't used my car for a while, that on a cold start it has a couple of odd moments where gear change is a bit different. I've put that down to the first TSB below.

Checking, there a couple of TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) that may apply to your car:

The first one has already been mentioned but forms an actual TSB:

The Gear changes take place at a high engine speed when engine cold

Solution: The gear changes take place at a high engine speed in order to rapidly increase the temperature of the catalytic converter and so reduce pollution. The operation confirms to the specification.

The other one is:

Engine Hesitation on changing from Gear 1 to Gear 2

This requires reading of fault codes and downloading of an update to the automatic gearbox ECU if no fault codes are found
rennug   
Sun Apr 03 2016, 12:10pm
Member No: #43435
I'm having a one-month old Grand C4 with the 1.6 BlueHDI 120bhp engine and have similar issues even when the car has warmed up.

Sometimes, it just seems to take longer than it should before it upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear and from 2nd to 3rd gear and when it does, the jerk is quite obvious. Problem is accentuated on an incline.

Suspect this has to do with the Aisin EAT6 not being built for torquey diesel engines. I use the paddle shifters to manually upshift to overcome this. Will be great if anyone can confirm that a software upgrade from the dealer can resolve this.
1 User said Thank You to rennug for this Post :
 Digger4510 (14 May 2016 : 12:51)
Digger4510   
Sat May 14 2016, 01:00pm
Member No: #42685
Hi all

Went to the Main dealer with this problem, and YES guess what, the reply was,, I cannot find anything really wrong with the car ??? and nothing is on the System in regards an update to the gearbox issues,, as the Gearbox is new Citroen will be waiting for feedback and issue an appropriate update in due cause,,
So KEEP CLEAR OF THE LATEST EAT6 fully automatic gearbox, no better than the one its replaced, but saying that its fast at pickup and changing gear, but that about all... glad mine was a EX demo and I didn't pay full price..

we need to keep hounding the main dealers to force Citroen to update the software for this issue,,

thanks

IAn
s60r   
Sun May 15 2016, 02:16am
As I suspected I'm afraid. They have changed a good deal on it to get the tax and economy figure to be where they are. I can't complain about paying 30 quid in tax on a 2 litre auto...... The trade off is that we as customers are ironing out the lumps for Citroen in real time. Be patient, I'm sure they will sort it, it is in no way bad enough to ruin what is an excellent car otherwise.
Eeeps   
Sun May 15 2016, 01:55pm
This is my first auto box and I can say I find it a good drive. This is very subjective and I don't have anything to compare against.

With a normal accelerator take-off is quite sedate and gear changes smooth but detectable. Second gear sometimes is held just over 2k revs but the change up is ok then.

Does seem like some variability in mechanical build, software or configuration.

In short, I'm very happy with the EAT6 but I may just be easily pleased!

Cheers,

Ian
greenfarmer   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 05:34pm
Member No: #45383
Just reading this thread, any update as to how people are getting on with the EAT6 gearbox? Looking at buying a 2018 GP in the 1.6 and wondering if Citroen ironed out any problems with the gearbox ? or how are people finding them after a few years of ownership, thanks !!! I Currently have the previous generation manual gp. Thanks !!!
johntech   
Thu Mar 07 2019, 04:07pm
Member No: #37957
Hello Folks
I have just bought a used GP 1.6 EAT 6 45000 miles 16 plate.
Smooth as glass no problems whatsoever !!
If you are having problems something is definitely wrong !
The gearbox does appear to be clever and sometimes will hold a low gear when descending hills.
But by no stretch of the imagination is it faulty.
Can you coax the dealer to lend you another eat6 automatic to prove its not you ?
Hope you can get it sorted.
Remember the gearbox is Japanese and fitted to dozens of other vehicles world wide.

1 User said Thank You to johntech for this Post :
 greenfarmer (09 Mar 2019 : 01:40)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member