or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Peeling clear coat off the bonnet

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dimuha1989   
Wed Feb 24 2016, 06:46am
Member No: #40631
Good Morning everyone.

I have C4 2005 1.6 petrol Wicked Red

I have noticed that clear coat started to peel off on the lower part bonnet. Naturally, I believe it is normal for 10 year old car. However, every week I see new patches appearing. Because I keep the car outside and use it for daily commute, there is more moisture getting under the clear coat patches, which makes it look worse all the time.

I am thinking on either respraying or finding used bonnet in Wicked Red colour. But again, how much will it cost to me? is it worth investing in this matter?

I have couple of patched peeling off. For that I will use Halfords repair kit. So that is not an issue. However, bonnet peeling is getting really frustrating.

Any ideas on the issue? Suggestions?
BigJohnD   
Wed Feb 24 2016, 07:56am

Member No: #82
The bonnet is aluminium. I suspect you need something more sophisticated than what's on the shelf at Halfords.
gmerry   
Wed Feb 24 2016, 08:02am
Member No: #11625
Red is the worst colour for pigment stability. Chance of finding another red bonnet in good condition is low, considering age of the car. You will have plenty of good condition black or silver or white bonnets. Get one of them and respray that.

Regards
G
Dimuha1989   
Wed Feb 24 2016, 11:19am
gmerry wrote ...

Red is the worst colour for pigment stability. Chance of finding another red bonnet in good condition is low, considering age of the car. You will have plenty of good condition black or silver or white bonnets. Get one of them and respray that.

Regards
G

So how much would it cost? Approximately?

Thanks
Chibs   
Sun Jul 17 2016, 04:03am
I've heard that pre owned or not the paint is actually guaranteed through Citroen. Chips from stones not covered but normal flaking is.
I'm not a 100% sure but I actually think I read it on this site.
Dimuha1989   
Mon Jul 18 2016, 03:26am
Hmm... Interesting. Thank you for an insight. I will have a look at Citroen UK website.
BigJohnD   
Mon Jul 18 2016, 05:05am

Member No: #82
You have an 11 year car. I suspect the Citroen body work warranty doesn't stretch beyond 6 years.
Dimuha1989   
Tue Jul 19 2016, 06:01am
Most likely not. Still worth a try. However, Citroen UK are pretty useless. They have refused to inspect my boot wiring loom despite of faulty part installed.

But again, as you said, it is 11 year car. Cannot expect too much from bodywork.
Chibs   
Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:59am
Well theoretically we all should expect a lot no matter how old a car is. We pay way over the odds for motor vehicles and as a result should expect a flawless product
Jimux   
Fri Jul 22 2016, 11:16am

Member No: #8137
Is it the lacquer top coat or is it something like a polymer coating? treatments like AutoGleam 'Shine for Life' come with an open ended guarantee if technician applied.
Dimuha1989   
Mon Jul 25 2016, 06:40am
Jimux wrote ...

Is it the lacquer top coat or is it something like a polymer coating? treatments like AutoGleam 'Shine for Life' come with an open ended guarantee if technician applied.

i would imagine clear coat. But again, I am not sure how polymer would look like. The top layer slightly peels of like varnish - in flakes.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member