or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Lane departure and laser guided sensors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
arkiboys   
Sat Feb 13 2016, 04:15am
Member No: #38528
Hello,
I purchased a new Grand C4 Exclusive plus, in August 2015.
I was told in has the full options...
Now I see that there is no lane departure or laser guided sensors.
Question:
Can I add this to the car at this stage?

Thanks.
BigJohnD   
Sat Feb 13 2016, 05:00am

Member No: #82
It's probably just not worth it.

You'd have to source all the parts, get them fitted and then there's a chance it won't work because altering the car's firmware configuration is never guaranteed. We've seen it with retro-fitting seemingly simple things like door puddle lights.

And then there's the cost. It could well be cheaper to sell the car and buy one with LDWS fitted.

But I'm prepared to be proved wrong.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 arkiboys (14 Jul 2016 : 10:45)
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Feb 13 2016, 05:16am

Member No: #1

Lane departure is a pain (literally) and best left switched off.

It only works at 50 mph + and every time you change lane on a motorway/dual carriageway it rumbles under the seat.
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 arkiboys (14 Jul 2016 : 10:45)
routemaster1   
Sat Feb 13 2016, 07:27am
Member No: #574
On the C4 Picasso Exclusive+ it is part of the Serenity pack or on the Exclusive in the Exclusive Convenience pack. Also in these packs is the active cruise control that everyone seems to want. Dave is correct that it only operates at 50mph+, but it doesn't operate via the seat base, but it gives vibrating tugs on the seat belt, using the system that pulls the belt tight when the car moves off (and when it first happens it is something of a shock). Also, it does not vibrate when you use the indicators when you change lanes.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 arkiboys (14 Jul 2016 : 10:46)
BigJohnD   
Sat Feb 13 2016, 10:56am

routemaster1 wrote ...

Dave is correct that it only operates at 50mph+, but it doesn't operate via the seat base, but it gives vibrating tugs on the seat belt, using the system that pulls the belt tight when the car moves off (and when it first happens it is something of a shock). Also, it does not vibrate when you use the indicators when you change lanes.

That looks very complex to retro fit and activate, even if the necessary wiring is already in place. And it's likely to cost more than the complete Serenity pack which is only £250 + VAT when ordered for a new C4Pic Exclusive+.

(Serenity Pack: Lane Departure Warning System, intelligent beam headlights, active radar-guided cruise control (with collision alert), active seatbelt safety system, electro-chrome rear view mirror.)
 arkiboys (14 Jul 2016 : 10:46)
routemaster1   
Sat Feb 13 2016, 11:27am
BigJohnD wrote ...

routemaster1 wrote ...

Dave is correct that it only operates at 50mph+, but it doesn't operate via the seat base, but it gives vibrating tugs on the seat belt, using the system that pulls the belt tight when the car moves off (and when it first happens it is something of a shock). Also, it does not vibrate when you use the indicators when you change lanes.

That looks very complex to retro fit and activate, even if the necessary wiring is already in place. And it's likely to cost more than the complete Serenity pack which is only £250 + VAT when ordered for a new C4Pic Exclusive+.

(Serenity Pack: Lane Departure Warning System, intelligent beam headlights, active radar-guided cruise control (with collision alert), active seatbelt safety system, electro-chrome rear view mirror.)

I don't think it works in the same way as the original system either. The original used sensors near the front bumper, but the lane departure, the active cruise and the auto dipping all seem to work from a camera and/or sensor in the rear view mirror. The seat belt tensioner, I think, is a standard fitment, but as John says it would be virtually impossible to get the new mirror to talk to the belts. And that doesn't take software issues into account.

The lane departure system is OK; the active cruise is a good feature which I find useful but not a deal-breaker, and the auto dip works really well although nowadays I am seldom out at night to use the feature. All told the £300 it costs is well worth it, and I would suggest anyone thinking of ordering an Exclusive+ should consider the option. Not sure I would pay the £849 for the Exclusive Convenience Pack though!
 arkiboys (14 Jul 2016 : 10:47)
BigJohnD   
Sat Feb 13 2016, 01:39pm

routemaster1 wrote ...

I don't think it works in the same way as the original system either. The original used sensors near the front bumper, but the lane departure, the active cruise and the auto dipping all seem to work from a camera and/or sensor in the rear view mirror. The seat belt tensioner, I think, is a standard fitment, but as John says it would be virtually impossible to get the new mirror to talk to the belts. And that doesn't take software issues into account.

The lane departure system is OK; the active cruise is a good feature which I find useful but not a deal-breaker, and the auto dip works really well although nowadays I am seldom out at night to use the feature. All told the £300 it costs is well worth it, and I would suggest anyone thinking of ordering an Exclusive+ should consider the option. Not sure I would pay the £849 for the Exclusive Convenience Pack though!

I never realised they would be inter-linked to that extent.

Clearly it's all easier to fit while the car is being assembled, and as you say, £300 is a bargain.
routemaster1   
Mon Feb 15 2016, 08:27am
I've been thinking about my post above and decided to do some experiments to find out if what I wrote was true. So I put some tape over the front camera and the sensor on the mirror. As this was this afternoon obviously I couldn't test the auto dipping. Basically all that happened was that the rear view mirror darkend. The LDS seemed to work as normal and the cruise worked as well. So I was obviously wrong with my assumptions. If anyone else can hazard an opinion as to where the LDS and radar sensors are I certainly would be interested!
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 15 2016, 08:41am

The tech drawing isn't very helpful…

bluehdi   
Mon Feb 15 2016, 09:18am
Member No: #2617
On my last C4GP which had the lane departure sensors which monitored underneath the car, it was part of the service for the Citroen garage to clean them periodically. This doesn't seem to be on the list of items for the new B78 C4P/GP.

I'll also see if I can look through the launch press packs I have to see if it says how this works, as I also thought it was all linked to the camera on up on the windscreen. The photo from the Citroen service system seems to give the impression that this is the lateral trajectory system but the mystery continues if you've covered it up and it still works!
bluehdi   
Tue Feb 16 2016, 11:26am
Checking the 2013 Press launch pack, there is a graphic of the LDWS (AFIL in French) pointing to the upper windscreen camera, plus this in the actual press text:

The active driver and passenger front seatbelts are equipped with motors that pull the belt tight automatically in the event of danger for maximum protection. At the same time, in relation with the video LDWS, the belt vibrates to warn the driver if the car crosses a line.

An image processing function for the miniature camera built into the interior door mirror, to manage automatic high beam operation, i.e. automatically activating and deactivating high beam lights depending on lighting and traffic conditions. This function is also used by the new-generation more predictive lane departure warning system (video LDWS).

The reference to 'interior door mirror' I would take as being the interior rear view mirror.

I also have the articles from the paid for technical Citroen service system, showing the function and installation of the B78 Lane Departure Warning system, and it only refers to the multi-function video camera, rather than any undercar sensors. This bulletin information is designed for the service technicians.

Interesting how it still continues to work, when you've tapped over the camera, unless its designed to see through tape/dirt!
bluehdi   
Tue Feb 16 2016, 11:36am
The comparison with the previous C4 Picasso (see image below) shows the system uses a lot less parts now:

bluehdi   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 03:45am
According to this, its an invisible miniature camera:

- Click Here -

routemaster1   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 06:48am
According to the link, it would appear that the LDWS is operated by infra red cameras down by the foglight, so a similar location to previous models, by may be a different type of sensor.
iscom   
Sat Feb 03 2018, 05:14am
Member No: #20936
I have been reading this post with great interest as I have lane departure but as yet I have not got it to work. When the car is stationary and you press the icon the green bar appears but when staring to drive the same icon appears with a "!"
Any ideas???
1 User said Thank You to iscom for this Post :
 BostyKosty (07 Sep 2019 : 13:43)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member