or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Dreaded heater problem

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
oscarlab   
Wed Dec 09 2015, 03:33pm
Member No: #42920
Hi, I've suffered the dreaded complete heater failure. Cleared water drains, checked all fuses.
Now trying to test power to fan.
I get a reading on small black connector to resistor.
Can anyone tell me if the large grey connector (see pic) should have any voltage when engine turned on?
Fan tested, runs OK when connected to external power.
Thanks
Oscar
rafiki   
Thu Dec 10 2015, 02:47am
Member No: #17435
Yes, large grey connector should always have ~14V voltage when engine is running and ventilation is not turned off.
Grey connector supply power to the blower, while small black one supply control signal.

BR
1 User said Thank You to rafiki for this Post :
 oscarlab (10 Dec 2015 : 03:48)
oscarlab   
Thu Dec 10 2015, 08:26am
rafiki wrote ...

Yes, large grey connector should always have ~14V voltage when engine is running and ventilation is not turned off.
Grey connector supply power to the blower, while small black one supply control signal.

BR

Thanks rafkiki. Mine definitely show no signs of power. Anyone have suggestions what to check for (e.g. relays)?
Thanks
Oscar
KenC   
Sat Dec 12 2015, 03:36pm
Member No: #18024
Hi, I had the same problem, did all the bits you've done before taking out the fan/motor. The grey connector had been overheating on one connection!
I took the resistor pack off the motor and cleaned the heat sink with WD40 and stiff brush, also unclipped resistor pack cover (no springs so lucky days) so I could clean the connector pins with a file. Did my best to clean connector contacts with WD40 and a pin to get some bare metal. Put resistor back together and back on the motor. Plugged connectors back but just held fan/motor and turned the engine on. Fan nearly blew me out of the car. Been working now for two weeks 😊
oscarlab   
Sat Dec 12 2015, 04:18pm
Thanks kenC
I will give it a try.
gitch   
Mon Dec 14 2015, 08:46am
Member No: #30908
My heater works fine in the front of the cab, but into the back it is cool air that is blowing out of the outlets under the seats. Anyone have any ideas please? Cheers.
KenC   
Mon Dec 14 2015, 10:28am
Just to clarify, the grey connector on my fan motor is on the wiring from the motor to the resistor pack the connector in the picture above is black on my car!

oscarlab   
Thu Dec 17 2015, 02:52pm
update on fault.
tried everything KenC suggested but no joy.
I ran temporary live wire from cig lighter and everything worked perfect. (fan speed. temp control).
thinking of bypassing original plug with new live wire. so looking for any advice on how I could obtain live connection when ignition on.
thanks
KenC   
Thu Dec 17 2015, 04:06pm
Sorry it didn't work for you, mine still working after about 3 weeks!
With the engine running and radio off if you change control settings ie fan speed to off and back on, air con on and off and vet positions can you hear things moving?
oscarlab   
Thu Dec 17 2015, 04:48pm
KenC wrote ...

Sorry it didn't work for you, mine still working after about 3 weeks!
With the engine running and radio off if you change control settings ie fan speed to off and back on, air con on and off and vet positions can you hear things moving?

Thanks KenC.
Yes can hear everything moving & working properly but only whilst I have temp power supply fitted. when I plug in big connector nothing happens. (back blowers work ok but only cold air when connector plugged in)
KenC   
Thu Dec 17 2015, 05:12pm
The back blowers only blow cold air.
Everything was motoring just fan not blowing, when I took plugs off fan it was obvious where my problem lay.
Good luck, hope you sort it.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member