or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Battery change

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
malced   
Sat Dec 05 2015, 03:55am
Member No: #14637
I have just ordered a new battery for my C4GP 2.0hdi Exclusive.
Can anyone tell me if I need to maintain an electrical supply to the vehicle during the battery changeover to prevent losing the vehicle settings please?
BigJohnD   
Sat Dec 05 2015, 04:35am

Member No: #82
You shouldn't lose any settings.

At worse, the system will default to French and kilometres.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 malced (06 Dec 2015 : 14:52)
wilcovh   
Sat Dec 05 2015, 04:39am
Member No: #28268

See here how to from an older post

1. Unclip the cover from all the electronics on the top and front of the battery. Bit of a fiddle but none too hard.

2. Unclip the positive battery terminal. This is a lever terminal on our GP.

3. Remove the air cleaner cover and detach it from the intake hose. I don't think this job is do-able with that in the way.

4. Fiddle with the electronics module trying to detach it from the battery cover. In the end, I unbolted 2 cables held on the 13mm nuts and detached a harness connector. Then with the help of a screwdriver I was able to lever the lower edge over the retaining lug on the battery cover and the whole thing slid up and out of the way to the left.

5. Remove the battery cover. This looks harder than it is. It's located at the back by some bayonet fittings, all you need to do is to give it a good wrench at the front and it will come free.

6. Undo the retaining clamp on the left hand side lower edge of the battery. 10mm bolt. Would have been nice to have my socket set, there isn't much room for a ring spanner in there!

7. Remove the negative terminal. This is a bit of a pain. Ours has a 45 degree clamp with a 10mm bolt facing towards me. Even with the clamp loose, it wasn't easy to remove. Better to do it with the battery in place as moving the battery forward for access puts strain on the terminal and it won't come free. Got there in the end!

8. Lift the front edge of the battery and lift it out. Phew!

With the battery out, replacement is relatively straight forward, just reverse the order of events and be careful not to forget something or drop any screws or nuts!

Once it was all back together, the GP fired up and we were good to go. Of course the dash had forgotten it's settings and time etc...

Hope this helps someone!

Bandsaw.
1 User said Thank You to wilcovh for this Post :
 malced (06 Dec 2015 : 14:52)
malced   
Sun Dec 06 2015, 02:54pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

At worse, the system will default to French and kilometres.

No problem for me then. Those are its normal settings!
peskywinnets   
Tue Dec 08 2015, 06:11pm
Member No: #42812
Incidentally, do the new shape C4GP have radio codes (or any other code) that needs entering when the battery has been disconnected/reconnected?
BigJohnD   
Tue Dec 08 2015, 06:50pm

No. The radio is coded to your VIN.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 peskywinnets (10 Dec 2015 : 08:14)
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Dec 09 2015, 02:13am

Member No: #1
peskywinnets wrote ...

Incidentally, do the new shape C4GP have radio codes (or any other code) that needs entering when the battery has been disconnected/reconnected?

On the NEW DS5 if you disconnect the battery then ALL the cars ECU's have to be re programmed by a dealer taking over 1 hour to do.

You have to connect an external power supply before disconnecting the car's battery to ensure the systems are maintained.

A lot of modern cars are going down this route, not sure on the NEW C4 range though, but I would be very careful or you could end up stranded with a large bill for recovering the car and re programming.

Please Note: this does not apply to the pre 2013 C4 range where you can disconnect the battery to force a systems reboot
2 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 BigJohnD (09 Dec 2015 : 03:20) , peskywinnets (10 Dec 2015 : 08:14)
peskywinnets   
Thu Dec 10 2015, 08:14am
Member No: #42812
SO to be clear, I can disconnect the battery (or suffer a flat battery) on a late 2014 C4GP Exclusive+ & not be worried about ECU reprogramming?!! (or anthing else come to that)
BigJohnD   
Thu Dec 10 2015, 10:23am

You should be OK. See pages 286-288 of the handbook: - Click Here -
malced   
Thu Jan 14 2016, 10:38am
An update on this subject. I bought a new battery online, having checked out several websites for price and size. As the battery is so well concealed in the engine space it isn't easy to see what size it is so when I removed the old battery I found that it was an 80ah, and the new one, which was recommended for my car by all the websites I tried was only 63ah. I fitted the new battery and for a month (although I only used the car about 6 times) it was fine. I then got a parking brake fault alarm which would not disappear no matter what I did (although the parking brake itself was functioning normally).
I went to the Citroen garage and after I described the fault the first question they asked me was, had I changed the battery recently? They told me that if the battery doesn't come up to a certain specification then it creates problems with the electronics. I have changed the battery again to an 80ah and have had no problems since so I conclude they were right about this.
What annoys me is that the online companies selling batteries have not checked that their recommendations are correct.
BigJohnD   
Thu Jan 14 2016, 10:55am

I'm afraid what the dealer said is correct.

You should always use your VIN to determine the correct battery - a generic "C4 GP 2 litre diesel" or your number plate is not enough. Personally I suspect (i.e. unproven), it's something to do with the complex Battery Charge Status Control Unit which must detect the correct battery to work properly.

See about half way down the page of this FAQ: - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member