or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

New C4 owner REVIEW

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
member59   
Tue Nov 24 2015, 08:10pm
Member No: #42762
Hi all. After doing so much research and using this site to gather lots of thoughts and opinions I thought I should give something back for future readers now I am a C4 owner myself.

Last week I purchased a 2012 1.6 EGS VTR+ C4 with 30.000 miles. I was looking for a cheaper car that was big enough for road trips and the dog in the back but also an AUTO car that had fair enough MPG 45+. After going through nearly every car brand and option I kept coming back to the C4. On comparing it to other brands such as Vauxhall or VW it appeared to come with a lot of equipment for the price. I also have good memories of a two Citroens we had in the family years ago, Xsara and a Picasso.

During the test drive I felt slightly boggled with the endless amount of buttons and gadgets but overall enjoyed the test drive. Felt like a smooth drive with enough power. I liked the overall look, I do feel the rear lets it down, the front almost looks quite sporty and modern, the back is boring. Not so bad though as I went for it.

Nearly two weeks on I am overall very happy with the car. I do a lot of motorway miles and I feel this is when it's at its best, smooth, quiet and very comfy in 6th gear. At motorway speeds it's only sitting at around 2000revs. On less solid roads it doesn't always do well with the bumps and holes, this is nothing major though.

The main area I'm still getting used to is the EGS gear box, of all the autos Iv owned and that's quite a few ranging from Renault, BMW & Vauxhall, it is bar far the slowest to change gear and not always that smoothly, almost feels like there's a real drag between changes. I think I'll get used to it eventually.

INSIDE is better than I expected too, lots and lots of buttons which I can now work, I always use the Bluetooth and cruise control. I didn't expect it to come with some of the extras it has too, directional lighting, instrumental lighting is changeable, USB, ECO mode, electric mirrors, 4 doors with electric Windows and a few more nice little extras. Overall I like the design of the interior however confusing it may be initially.

MPG is not quite as good as I hoped for or as advertised but I'm still getting 55 minimum.

The big review websites were nearly all quite negative about the car, the "high driving position", the "floaty French ride", light feel of the steering, I have to say all these points are actually a plus for me, really like the driving position.

This car needs to last me a good few years so any tips to keep it up to scratch I'd be grateful. I did read that with this model a very regular and timely service is a good idea, so I just put it in for one today. As it was a trusted local garage that we always use they also checked the tracking and suspension for me, I wanted a thorough check as its 2nd hand and I'm not used to Citroen.

This evening they rang me and in their words said "Its Perfect". Iv read many advising to take it to an actual Citeon dealer for services but Iv had dealing with the only one that's local before and they are dismal at best.

So to summarise I'm a happy C4 owner, I like that I'm driving something that feels a little different and I'm not like the masses in their Astras and Focuses.

If anyone has any advise for me regarding this model I'd be grateful. Also a quick question, I went up a very steep country hill recently and it would not shift out of 1st gear, even at above 4000revs, I had to quickly locate the paddles and thank god they work in auto mode. Is this just normal for the EGS, I have heard it doesn't always react how you would think it should?

Thanks

Member59
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 02:05am

Member No: #1
2012, it might be an EGT like the car I just sold, not an EGS gearbox.

Either way it's not an automatic gearbox despite being advertised as such, but a computer controlled manual gearbox.

It may require re calibrating or a software update (you would need to go to Citroen for the software update) to try and improve the gear changes.
member59   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 10:12am
Hi Dave thanks for the info.

It says when I put my reg into the Citroen website that it's a e-HDi Airdream EGS6 VTR plus 98g Euro 5

If it's this EGS6 would I still need it re calibrated or any software updates?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 10:16am

Member No: #1
Yes, there are some differences between the 2 gearboxes but they work in the same way.
Scoops   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 12:03pm
Member No: #4366
I have exactly the same vehicle and have now got very used to the gearbox and some of it's weird behaviours. Hills are a big one. Especially steep up ones!

I always nip it into manual and switch off the auto stop/start to ensure I can control the gear changes, and if you stop you know you will have hill assist working. Having said this, I have only just realised (owned the car for 3 years now) that if the engine has stopped via the Eco function, hill assist still works! Spooky.

For steep downs, again I switch into manual mode otherwise you find it will start to change down lots of gears in an effort to use engine braking to maintain speed.

I find that just 'go with the flow' as it does it's thing is best. It goes from 1st to 2nd very quickly, and if you look in your rear view mirror, everyone else with a manual gearbox is still in 1st and accelerating to the point of being in your boot! You are now in 2nd and start pulling away from them. It's kinda tit for tat as you all end up at the same speed any way.
member59   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 02:12pm
Thanks Scoops.

Glad to hear my gear box is working the same as others. I ended up ringing a Citroen garage today and they said no need for the recallibration or software update. They gave me prices and said if I feel it's a problem rather than just the cars way of working I could bring it in. Very helpful. But after your comment I'm thinking it's just going to take get used too. I'll give the manual a try on the hills.

Also tested the hill start in auto today, handy little extra that is.

Totally agree with regards to 1st and 2nd gear changes. I have felt a couple of times the car behind getting very close and needing a slightly longer push from 1st.

I've also turned off the directional lighting and day time lighting, didn't feel it was that effective and felt like the car in front would feel like I'm constantly flashing them on the country roads.

Scoops can you change the acoustic noises for the indicators on your VTR+? Or is it only in the higher exclusive model? I read somewhere you can do this on the C4. Also can I ask what MPG your getting. I'm getting very low 50s around town and around 60 on motorway. I had hoped for abit higher after what was advertised.

Thanks for the info.
FrankBullitt   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 03:23pm

Member No: #19238
member59 wrote ...

I've also turned off the directional lighting and day time lighting, didn't feel it was that effective and felt like the car in front would feel like I'm constantly flashing them on the country roads.

Scoops can you change the acoustic noises for the indicators on your VTR+? Or is it only in the higher exclusive model? I read somewhere you can do this on the C4. Also can I ask what MPG your getting. I'm getting very low 50s around town and around 60 on motorway. I had hoped for abit higher after what was advertised.

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't bother turning off the directional lights - I thought they'd be a gimmick but they are superb, really useful when cornering at low speeds; they don't operate above 25mph so unless you are following a driver who has died at the wheel, they'll never see them.

The polyphonic tones come with the auto pack which is standard on the Exclusive and optional on the VTR+, the most obvious way to tell if you have this option is whether climate control is fitted rather than normal air conditioning.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member