or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

New (2015) C4 - Diesel or petrol?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Drazen_R   
Sun Nov 22 2015, 01:51pm
Member No: #42763
Hi!
I am a new forum member from Croatia.
Currently I own a 2008 Berlingo 1.6 HDI with 75 hp, and I am looking to switch to something a bit faster and also quieter at speed.
I know that Citroen has a long tradition of diesel engines, but new Petrol turbo engines also look promising. I know that Diesel has better mileage. But it is also more expensive and I don't drive that much so let's call it even.
From a perspective of long term reliability, but also drivability and noise level at speed, which one would you recommend, puretech 110 hp or HDi 100 hp?
nitropixie   
Sun Nov 22 2015, 02:49pm
Member No: #33590
That is a question. I generally say for short trips get a petrol (warm up faster and no dpf to clog) and if your doing lots of mileage then a diesel for economy.

The expense of dpf's, dual mass flywheels and maintenance of diesels far out strips the potential saving of economy in the long run. Owners should really be honest with themselves as short journeys will only incur more maintenance on a diesel compared to a petrol.

This is all my opinion and may not be someone elses. Happy to discuss
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Nov 23 2015, 01:33am

Member No: #1
Lots of short trips, go Petrol. If your buying a New C4 then if you compare the performance figures on the 1.2 Puretech Petrol to the 1.6 HDi the Petrol is actually faster

Yes the MPG is lower, but the potential additional servicing costs on a HDi even it out and the petrol costs less to buy and the saving pays for a lot of petrol.
BigJohnD   
Mon Nov 23 2015, 04:26am

Member No: #82
After over 10 years of (Citroen's) diesels which have been without problem, I am now hesitant about getting another.

The emissions reg are now so stringent that the means of cleaning the exhaust is becoming more and more complex, which can be very expensive to repair - as much as the value of some older cars.

You must drive long distances frequently to keep the DPF system up to working temperature. I do, so the chances of any problems is minor. But if the majority of your journeys are short (say less than 5 or 6 miles or live in the Channel Islands)) then a diesel is not for you.

As Dave says, I'll miss 55-60mpg (<5l/100km), but worry less about the possibility of a big repair bill.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 Honest (24 Nov 2015 : 11:59)
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Nov 23 2015, 04:39am

Having said all we have re diesels, I'm about to go back to one, but not a Citroen, but I understand all the issues with them and am buying an 8 moth old used car with very low miles at a very big discount from list price.
FrankBullitt   
Mon Nov 23 2015, 05:11am

Member No: #19238
I agree with much of what has been said and would personally go Puretech rather than Blue; I would say though I think some of them issues with shorter journeys aren't as bad as they appear, our DS4 does 2 miles each way 5 days a week and also lots of short trips elsewhere although it does get a decent run every other weekend (typically) and the DPF has never been an issue (yet)
Drazen_R   
Mon Nov 23 2015, 11:11am
Thanks for all your comments and opinions!
It seems Puretech is the way to go (my daily commute is only about 3km each way) - it was my opinion as well, the only opposing argument being about tradition and proven technology. Are there any known issues with puretech engines?
I was also looking at VW 1.2 TSI equipped models, but found so many horror stories that I gave up. Ford 1.0 ecoboost is better but not entirely without issues either...
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Nov 23 2015, 01:13pm

The Puretech is shared across a wide range of Citroen/Peugeot cars and so far seems to have no issues (none reported on here anyway)
Drazen_R   
Tue Nov 24 2015, 04:03am
That is good to know. Although, it does have DMF
Also it seems to have timing belt submerged in engine oil, much like Ford.
Does anybody know the service interval for the belt?
Drazen_R   
Wed Dec 09 2015, 05:08pm
Here is how my Citroen story ended:

I tried to arrange a test drive for C4 with puretech engine, but in the dealership they told me that, while I can order the car with puretech engine, our market is not interested in petrol models and they don't have a single puretech C4 available for test drive. At least, salesman promised to prepare one diesel powered C4 for test drive, but didn’t keep that promise either. All in all, terrible dealer experience.

So, last Saturday I took my wife to the Ford dealership, they had B-Max 1.0 turbo petrol ready for test drive right away. Salesman just handed me the key, no need for reservation.

We were quite impressed with the car, and when we got back, he gave us the offer that cannot be refused (obviously they want to clear the stock before the end of the year).

So now I am a proud owner of the brand new Ford B-max
pablomalin   
Wed Feb 10 2016, 03:33pm
Member No: #42121
My 2015 C4 PT 130 running on Shell unleaded did 337 miles on 41 litres which is roughly 38mpg or 7.5 l/100km - short trips not longer than 10 miles in Southampton. Most of the time I've had 3 more passengers travelling with me so my fuel is fully paid
1 User said Thank You to pablomalin for this Post :
 maxtoralias (26 Sep 2016 : 08:04)
gmerry   
Wed Feb 10 2016, 04:40pm
Member No: #11625
Hi all, with a daily commute of 3km surely legs or bicycle would be better than Puretech or HDi or is there someother factor not stated (maybe a very small electric car would be perfect???)

Regards
G
ScottH   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 06:22am
Member No: #46833
I've just got a 1.6 flair HDi (65 plate) my daily commute is 4 miles there 4 miles back, i do a lot of running around on an evening ranging from 4 miles to at least 24 miles, then on a weekend my wife goes to Leeds round trip approx 120 miles, basically got a diesel for the economy. Only time will tell.
BigJohnD   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 06:47am

Member No: #82
ScottH wrote ...

I've just got a 1.6 flair HDi (65 plate) my daily commute is 4 miles there 4 miles back

So, as soon as your engine warms up, you switch it off. Not good for economy or emissions.

I've had diesels for more than the last 10 years, and rarely did a journey of less 8 miles. The majority were at least 20 miles and many were 200 miles or more. I usually returned between 55 and 60mpg. At one MoT, the tester commented how low the emissions were (I'd driven over 200 miles the previous day) as he'd just failed a similarly aged and engined Peugeot on emissions (car otherwise OK) which had done few very miles in the preceding year and never been further than the local school and supermarket. The owner was facing a big bill for examination, cleaning and probably some new parts.

However, despite relaxing driving and low fuel consumption (and cheaper diesel in mainland Europe), I'm almost certainly going to be looking at petrol for my next car. I suspect the emissions for diesels are soon going to be lowered again (especially NOx emissions), making any failure of the cleaning system outrageously expensive. It's bad enough now.
ScottH   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 07:41am
Member No: #46833
Yeah i know but its the other running around that we got it for, ive had petrol all my life, we do lots of running around in school holidays and normally go to mainland eurpoe a lot, which from the North East is a good run out to say the least.

Question, does the emissions system get checked / cleaned on the service?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member