or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Maintenance Tips ALL variant C4 C4 Picasso and DS4 :: Maintenance and Repair Tips and Procedures.

Find the correct oil for your Citroën

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Oct 03 2013, 09:12am
Member No: #11625
The ACEA system still relies on the integrity and honesty of the Oil Marketer when it comes to registering the "claims" against the test specifications.

Personally, those supermarket brands previously mentioned, fail on both counts as anyone who has ever watched [%*^#@!] Watch the Dog on TV etc may realise.

So make your choice using a bit of savvy.

Regards
G
simmo821   
Sun Nov 08 2015, 12:47pm
Member No: #42600
Hi All,

According to the Service booklet a 5w40 Oil would be fine? Is this still the case as I've just had 5w/40 Low Saps oil put in?

Thanks Sam
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Nov 08 2015, 01:38pm

Member No: #1
On a HDi you really do need a ' Low Saps' oil.
simmo821   
Sun Nov 08 2015, 03:17pm
Member No: #42600
Hi, They have assured me it was Low Saps Oil it was just 5w40 grade! I may run it for a few months then buy some TITAN GT1 PRO C-2 5W-30 and get them to stick that in! Just to be on the safe side!
Mistermena   
Thu Mar 10 2016, 03:20pm
Member No: #43905
National Tyres use Titan GTI PRO C2 5-30 in there oil service for the 1.6HDI with the very good MANN filters for £38 all in!!! You can get a 10% discount voucher off the net! And you can book this through "Top cash back" and get even more money off.

The only thing I can't find out is the specs of the Titan oil anywhere! If anyone know what the TBN number is or the flash point is and the Viscosity index is I'd love to know. Mobil 1 esp oil has good specs for a low ash C2 oil...
riven1962   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 12:58am
Member No: #18905
You really should be using original oil filters. It's well documented that pattern oil filters can cause problems.
gmerry   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 02:44am
Hi Riven, this "pattern" oil filter thing is urban myth. Citroen don't even make any filters at all. Use a good OEM quality filter such as Mann, Mahle, UFI, Knecht, etc.

The OEM builders (all the European car manufacturers) buy their filters from the above, stick them in the engines when the cars are new.

What do you think you are buying when you buy a filter which is in a Citroen or Peugeot box? Yes, its a Mann or UFI or Knecht or Mahle filter. Citroen have no factories with their own filter manufacturing assembly line.

Note, in the old days of spin-off canisters, there were oil pressure bypass valves incorporated inside the filter and these could cause a lot of grief if incorrect specification/poor quality. With a disposable paper element like all the modern Citroens, this issue has been eliminated. All the more reason to stop perpetuating this myth.

Regards
G

PS, final point, I've been fitting oil filters of the disposable type to the two family Citroens, for 11 years. That's 18+ filters I have fitted (they both get their oil changed twice per year (minus a few dealer services). In that time I've never fitted a PSA branded filter, always one from the above list. Never had a problem.
1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 rennug (11 Mar 2016 : 09:06)
routemaster1   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 04:34am
Member No: #574
I appreciate what G Merry has said, and I agree that Citroen don't make their own filters, and buy them in from other manufacturers, but I certainly don't know what a good quality brand is and what is not. One thing is for certain. Some people have posted picture on this site of oil filters with the innards collapsed.

The question is how worth it is to buy an oil filter. A quick check on line for a new style C4 Picasso shows a Bosch filter for sale for £8.31 (retail price £13.27, or a Filtron (never heard of them) for £2.10. If I were buying for my car I wouldn't try to save £6.21 for a car worth £20,000. As has been stated (and extrapolated by me), oil and filters are cheap, new engines and turbos are not.

This is without looking on ebay, where 'genuine' Citroen oil filters are for sale, and who knows were they come from.
gmerry   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 06:59am
Hi Routemaster, you make some good points. Agree don't skimp on quality or frequency of replacement.

A Citroen branded filter from a dodgy auction site could possibly (likely if
too cheap) be a nasty fake whereas a good quality branded filter like a Mann bought from a reputable seller would probably be a better bet. So "provenance" is everything.

One tip I also find useful is only to ever buy by the manufacturers part number, never by "fits Citroen C4" etc. Most of the manufacturers have online catalogues so finding the part number is a 5 minutes affair. Then when the part arrives, check the packaging, print quality, sealing, holograms if applicable (such as brake parts). Bosch probably just buy in from a filter manufacturer.

Regarding your new Citroen, I found that my wife's B7 1.6HDI 112CV takes exactly the same filter element as the old L7. So I buy from one of the listed above.

On the subject of collapsed filter elements, does anyone know of a proper published failure investigation?

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 07:20am
Hi Routemaster, just posted on the Euro 6 engine filter change:-

New Filter designation is Mahle OX171/2D1 Eco and it has a different seal.

Euro 4/5 engines take a Mahle OX171/2D with a black square seal.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 07:52am
Here's a video showing how the patented Mahle pin on the lower end of the filter seals off the drainage hole and allows the oil within the housing to drain without making a mess when changing the filter element.

- Click Here -
_
So if you want the original, best fit Mahle?

1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 DeuxChevaux (11 Mar 2016 : 16:54)
routemaster1   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 10:36am
Member No: #574
Hi G Merry, I doubt if I will be buying any filters soon. Gone are the days when I need to do my own servicing, and I have a warranty to maintain so it will be done at the dealers.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member