or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

VW Recall

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
paully   
Wed Sep 23 2015, 09:38am
Member No: #42086
Hmm..todays headlines, is and always has been, tomorrows fish and chip wrappers..I`ve seen many of these stories in my life..I feel this is more to do with deceit by big business in pursuit of larger profits and appeasing the tree huggers. Diesel is the victim here, not the cause.There are so many diesel`s in use in Europe, that nothing is going to change anytime soon..I`ve just gone back to diesel with the BluHdi after years of petrol and I`m relaxed about it..Don`t panic peeps, this will resolve itself, issue like this always do...
FrankBullitt   
Wed Sep 23 2015, 10:53am

Member No: #19238
To avoid doubt, US NOx emissions standards are much more stringent than EU6 rules - I really wouldn't worry about AdBlu in your Citroen.
bluehdi   
Wed Sep 23 2015, 01:52pm
Member No: #2617
The Sunday Times paper a month or two ago had an article about diesels, which I read with great interest and well before the VW scandal arose.

I have the exact engine in my C4GP that was tested by them and they suggest in this article that they couldn't get near the emissions that were listed by Citroen.

- Click Here -

It certainly doesn't affect my choice and decision but was interesting given what has now come to light.
bluehdi   
Wed Sep 23 2015, 01:59pm
To add further to Northspoons actual query, I certainly wouldn't let the Adblu use on the Citroen put you off at all.

The Adblu is available all over (even in supermarkets) and is easily topped up by yourself if necessary. However unless mileage/use is unusual, it will be fine and is setup to last you from one annual service to the next.

You get a proper indicator on the screen when you start the car up on whether your Adblu level is critical, low or good for beyond 1500 miles.

The only point is that if you let the Adblu run out the car will not start. This is to ensure the car keeps to the Euro 6 emissions regulations.

Time will tell when investigations continue in Europe whether and which other manufacturers have also been altering their figures.
northspoon   
Wed Sep 23 2015, 02:05pm
Member No: #4689
I wasn't worried about adding or checking the Adblu, more about whether I have been misled by the sales person about the benefits of a diesel car in light of the VW scandal?

I chose the car because of it's claimed low emmisions
bluehdi   
Wed Sep 23 2015, 02:22pm
Based on the Sunday Times article and their research from the link above, it does seem (similar to claimed MPG figures that now are only for comparison purposes) that something isn't quite right with a number of cars and their NO2 ratings. They suggest actual figures are much higher than allowed for with Euro6 cars.

Certainly the Citroen 2.0 BlueHDI they tested was a much higher rating.

I also chose my car because of the supposed low emissions and cheaper road tax, although having a full auto did push this up a little.

I think you'll find the Sales people will just be quoting the official literature figures, but as to whether they are really correct and true we will likely find out in the coming months!
routemaster1   
Thu Sep 24 2015, 09:23am
Member No: #574
I am amazed that a German company should be found to be doing this. After all, it is nigh on impossible to drive through Germany now without driving into an Umwelt zone, where you require a green sticker to be legal. You can only get those on Euro 4 or better.

And there is another potential scandal, according to the papers today. It seems that Europe and USA are considering a system where a car approved in Europe is automatically approved in America and vice versa. The trouble is that many American cars are much less safe than European when involved front end crashes. It appears that the report indicating this has been suppressed, although I don't know who is supposed to be suppressing it!
FrankBullitt   
Thu Sep 24 2015, 09:40am

I'm not sure about American cars being less safe, but the US obsession with pick ups is largely driven by them being classified as 'trucks' and therefore not needing to comply with crash regulations at all or emissions regulations relevant to cars. That's why they are dirt cheap.

You can buy diesel pick ups and have been able to for ages - who knows what they emit when compared to a Peterbilt or Kenworth...
routemaster1   
Sat Sep 26 2015, 02:50am
Member No: #574
Now Switzerland have temporarily banned some VW diesel sales.

- Click Here -

But I am a little confused. As I understand it, the issue is to do with varying the Adblue consumption when on test. The article refers to sales of Euro 5 cars, whereas Adblue is used on Euro 6.

Also, as Skoda and Seat both use the VW sourced engines, are they implicated as well?
paully   
Sat Sep 26 2015, 03:14am
Member No: #42086
Things are coming out in dribs and drabs, but looks like in Europe the Euro 5 engines are the ones that are suspect..In the USA they have been using AdBlue for longer, because the emmisiions controls are tighter than Europe. Although it must rank as typical hypocracy that their pick ups are subject to no checks at all!!!

I think its highly likely that Seat and Skoda are affected as their engines are sourced from the same VW plant..

I see the BBC are in their usual tree hugging mode and predicting the end of diesel in Europe..Utter tosh, sales will fall briefly and when the panic is over, long distance motorists will still continue with diesel. Its here to stay
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Sep 26 2015, 08:36am

Member No: #1
Citroën Official Statement regarding recent emission news

‘PSA’s Research & Development Department reaffirms that PSA complies with the approval procedures in effect in all countries where it operates, and that powertrain settings, assuming the same conditions of use, are identical whether for approval procedures or in real life.

Further, PSA notes that the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system installed on all its Euro 6 diesel vehicles produces variances that are among the lowest in the automotive industry between approved emissions and those arising from customer use.

In the same spirit of improving air quality, PSA supports introducing the new procedure WLTP plus RDE from September 2017 in its most demanding version, to replace the current European approval procedure NEDC, which is not representative of real customer use.’
FrankBullitt   
Sat Sep 26 2015, 09:21am

routemaster1 wrote ...

Now Switzerland have temporarily banned some VW diesel sales.

- Click Here -

But I am a little confused. As I understand it, the issue is to do with varying the Adblue consumption when on test. The article refers to sales of Euro 5 cars, whereas Adblue is used on Euro 6.

Also, as Skoda and Seat both use the VW sourced engines, are they implicated as well?

I think this is the acknowledgement that there is an issue in the settings of cars sold as Euro 5 that have been adapted with adblue for the USA, as Switzerland is not part of the EU they still sell Euro 5 cars (which were banned from sale in EU member states this September) and therefore whilst it might not present itself as an issue in Europe, the cars still have the 'cheat' device fitted and are confirmed as not meeting type approval.

PSA's press release is good news.
BigJohnD   
Sun Sep 27 2015, 04:18pm

Member No: #82
According to the DT, Bosch warned VW in 2007 this usage of their components was illegal.
- Click Here -
BigJohnD   
Wed Sep 30 2015, 05:20pm

Member No: #82
- Click Here -
Looks like Citroën and others are in the dock as well.
YOG   
Wed Sep 30 2015, 06:15pm
Member No: #17929
Wonder what our Government will do, when they (amongst others!) have been caught out trying to bend the rules:
- Click Here -
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member