or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Mods and Styling, Chassis, lowering, wheels etc.

Red on black colour scheme (picture heavy)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
zugzwang   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 11:18am
Member No: #41886
Hello there fellow C4 lovers just wanted to show you guys what mods i have made to my C4 and would love to know what you think about them, and what other mods D could do that would improve the car. been surfing the forum since I bought the car in January it's a 2005 1.6 VTR+

Day of purchase

1 month after i got her i did what any Gent would do, buy her a new set of high heels (look at them arches boys).

my exhaust then fell off 2 months later so i got a oem replacement and started off the red and black colour scheme doing some plasti dipping and painting the break calipers to tidy up the breaks

once i finished these mods the stock headlights were not doing it for me so i found some "angel eye's" off euro wagons that looked nice

i then decided to get her off them high heels and bring her down to earth with a Eibach Pro-Kit, that helped the arches look a bit more full. + super shocked to find out the ride quality was so much better!

i also bit the bullet and bought a cat back exhaust (slight sporty note tiny bit louder than stock) as i am now interested in seeing what i can do under the hood and this is what she looks like as of now

my next mods/ideas are, turbo/v6 and maybe some wheel spacers and tints. i really don't know about the tints 35% maybe? but would love to know what you guys think.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 11:27am

Member No: #1
Personally, I think it looks c**p and all you have done is devalued it.

No doubt others will disagree with me but on a separate note: I hope you have informed your insurance co of the mods to your car and that those Angel Eyes don't 'melt' as has happened to a few other members in the past.
Biohead   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 12:13pm

Member No: #6049
Car looks much better when it's been lowered, and I like the look of the exhaust you've got. The wheels make a nice finishing touch too.

I can't say I'm a fan of the angel eyes either (never have been sorry!) as I've been spoilt by the OEM xenons, but do take note of what Dave has said - they caused nothing but problems when they came out for the C4. The cases were melting, they were taking too much power and destroying the wiring looms and playing havoc with the cars electrical system.
zugzwang   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 12:32pm
thanks for the constructive criticism LOVE THAT STUFF! i had heard cases of this happening with the "angel eyes". maybe i should look into taking my old headlights apart and trying to find a way to make them black! felt the old ones were ruining the theme with the chrome. i couldn't believe that i drove around with the stock springs for 8 months! its so nice i couldn't praise enough what the springs have done for the car. shoulda listened to you guys sooner!
FakeConcern   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 12:58pm
Member No: #24127
Looks good, love the wheels (what are they?)& the low look. I quite like the headlamps, but prefer the Xenons my VTS has. Glad you have the brake calipers black rather than red!
zugzwang   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 01:09pm
Hey fake, there Momo Revenge 17"7J slightly wider than stock i just hate how hard they are to clean!!! :@ maybe i should look into the Xenons, i was hoping to go for a more stealthy look! tried to keep it tasteful but different.
1 User said Thank You to zugzwang for this Post :
 FakeConcern (01 Sep 2015 : 14:32)
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 01:23pm

zugzwang wrote ...

thanks for the constructive criticism LOVE THAT STUFF!

Mine is a purely personal view, I said others would disagree

Be aware though that I have TOTAL editorial control on site, with NO appeals process
zugzwang   
Sun Aug 30 2015, 01:38pm
i appreciate all comments dave! as you have taken the time to read and comment on what i have posted. didn't expect everyone to like it, was just hoping for some constructive criticism, as i was a little disheartened as it is my fist post and first comment (hopefully more to come!) as you guys have told me about the angel eyes and i'm starting to regret slightly already! XD Viva la France
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Aug 31 2015, 01:43am

Eibach Pro were a good move, they really do transform the handling so they were a good decision
BigJohnD   
Mon Aug 31 2015, 08:02am

Member No: #82
After market Xenons are tricky. Ideally you should fit the OEM shells, self levelling and washers but it would be cheaper to trade up for a car with factory fitted Xenons.

You can use Xenon filaments in a halogen shell but the reflected beam won't meet the regs. Strictly speaking, washers should be fitted as well as self levelling.

You may get around the regs by fitting after market bulbs which are less than 2,000 lumens but you're likely to be disappointed with them.

In short, the choice is huge expense to get it right or a kludge which runs the risk of MoT failure or a brush with the plods, especially as your car already invites a second look.
zugzwang   
Mon Aug 31 2015, 10:28am
im totally in love with the springs dave just make the driving experience so much nicer, thanks for the info on the xenons john its good to know my options!
Biohead   
Mon Aug 31 2015, 11:53am

Member No: #6049
As angel eyes are typically projector style headlights too (rather than reflector like the standard ones) you might just be able to get away with a HID mod without too much light scatter - but it really does depend on the quality of the headlight. But if you do go down that route, whatever you do - don't go any higher than 5100K rating - anything over that is seriously blue and looks awful. The blue you typically associate with xenons is the edge of the light beam being broken up into the various colours of the spectrum, with blue/purple being the last one therefore the first bit you see. The actual light itself is white, it's just the very edge of the beam which is blue.

A HID mod is typically a xenon bulb but in H7 fitment form. As xenon works in a completely different way to a standard halogen filament bulb, you need something called a ballast with converts the 12v upto a couple of thousand volts. This sits between the bulb and the car wiring. Although the bulbs use several thousand volts, they use a tiny amount of amps, so when you go through the calculations you can work out the HIDs (xenons) actually draw less power than halogen and therefore run cooler. The problem is, they are brighter and by the book they need washers and self levelling. And with the voltages involved, if you buy cheap not only is it likely to fail quickly, you can cause some serious damage to the car and yourself.
1 User said Thank You to Biohead for this Post :
 zugzwang (31 Aug 2015 : 12:21)
zugzwang   
Mon Aug 31 2015, 12:21pm
yeh i'm going to stick with regular halogen lights in the angel eyes no point in risking it i'm already in two minds to put the old ones back in and take the dip off, im not overly fussed about the "white light" even tho it does look bang tidy!
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Aug 31 2015, 12:43pm

There is an FAQ on site ref aftermarket Xenon lights: - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 zugzwang (31 Aug 2015 : 12:48)
crapday   
Tue Sep 01 2015, 12:30am
Member No: #11964
The red is a lovely colour and the lowered suspension with black wheels look smart. Not sure about the chrome double chevron going black.

Gary.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member