or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

THP 165 Auto real life MPG

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
DaleCooper   
Thu Apr 16 2015, 03:52pm
Member No: #32407
Hi,

Been lurking around here for a while - great forum!

I'm considering replacing my 2008 Picasso with a new Grand Picasso, and I'm uncertain about diesel (BlueHDI model) vs the 165 THP automatic petrol. I've seen a lot of review and some real life MPG figures for the different diesel engines, but I have not seen anything for the 165 THP. Does anyone here have any experience with it they would like to share, both in terms of how it is to drive and in terms of MPG figures?

There's a lot of discussions where I live (Oslo, Norway) about increasing toll road charges for diesel cars, completely banning use of diesel cars on days with high pollution etc which makes me consider the petrol option.

Thanks

Dave_Retired.   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 01:43am

Member No: #1
How many miles do you normally do in a year?
routemaster1   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 02:02am
Member No: #574
DaleCooper wrote ...

There's a lot of discussions where I live (Oslo, Norway) about increasing toll road charges for diesel cars, completely banning use of diesel cars on days with high pollution.

I hope governments do not go too far with this. Whilst I am aware that early diesels produce significant quantities of particulates and nitrogen oxides, great strides have been made in making diesels less polluting. I am aware that up to Euro 4 you can still see some very dirty exhausts, but Euro 5 brought in DPFs, which reduced smoke, and now Euro 6 with Adblue has reduced the nitrogen oxides to much the same level as a petrol car. Unfortunately the system for control in Germany with the Umwelt sticker only has red stickers for Euro 2, yellow for Euro 3 and green for Euro 4, and has not been extended for Euro 5 and 6. In case you are not aware, you are not allowed to enter some city centres in Germany without the correct sticker. Most with any restriction will only allow green stickered vehicles into the city centre.
DaleCooper   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 03:16am
Member No: #32407
Thanks for the replies. Usually do around 9 000 miles per year, good mix of short trips to the shop etc and longer weekend trips (we only have one car). But won't use it for daily commuting.

At least in the lab, Euro6-compliant diesels have NOx emissions comparable to petrols, but in practice there are several recent studies that claim the real life figures are 5-20 times higher (e.g. - Click Here - . Especially in cold conditions, like in Norway during winter...
FrankBullitt   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 07:33am

Member No: #19238
I agree that NOx levels have reduced with 'blue' additives but, frankly, they are still nowhere near levels petrol engines produce. Diesel will never disappear as it is a by-product of the refining process if nothing else, but it gets ever expensive to make cars compliant with EU standards.

You won't find many people with the 1.6THP EAT6 to be honest, I don't remember anyone mentioning they'd bought or ordered one; personally, I really like the idea and would have got a DS4 auto petrol had I been able to find a used slusher rather than the EGS model.
routemaster1   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 09:06am
Member No: #574
Nitrogen oxide limit for Euro 6 diesel is 0.08g/km, for petrol for Euro 4 is 0.08, Euro 5 and 6 is 0.06. So according to official figures diesel is only a little worse. If the real life output of a diesel is higher, how about the petrols?
FrankBullitt   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 03:42pm

Member No: #19238
Good point, I misread it and was out by a factor of ten!
bluehdi   
Sat Apr 18 2015, 02:21am
Member No: #2617
When I was trying to locate a 2.0 BlueHDi model with leather to look at, I contacted Citroen online (via their Customer Contact centre) and they can usually locate if any dealership in the UK is running one as a demonstrator or has one in stock. It took them over a week to respond but they did locate one. Citroen London West seem to carry quite a range, but I still think you'll struggle.

I suspect you may have to travel some distance and even then its quite possible the end result may be 'there isn't one in this engine'. The 2.0 BlueHDI is still quite difficult to locate to test drive and this is quite popular.

I believe there are a number of owners of this petrol engine over on the Planete Citroen forum, but as that's French only you need to translate the pages or know someone who can translate!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member