or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Problems and issues

Battery Charging Fault. Car will not start - Electric Fault Message on 2012 Citroen C4 1.6HDi VTR+

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
ferrarionur@msn.com   
Thu Apr 16 2015, 03:45pm
Member No: #31694
Hi,

I'm experiencing a battery charge fault on the car when trying to start it I get the STOP message and the engine will not turn on, we have changed the battery with no luck.

If I remove the positive battery cable and keep connecting it sometimes it will start, once it does you can drive no problems. If you park up for longer than 1 hour it will not start again, you have to keep connecting and disconnecting the positive battery cable for it to start again.

When the car is not starting and you unlock the doors, the mirrors will not open. If you keep trying by removing and re-inserting the battery cable and find that the mirrors open you know the car will then start up.

Very strange problem, I have checked all battery connections and everything seems fine so not sure what is happening.

All help is appreciated and thank you very much in advance.
BigJohnD   
Thu Apr 16 2015, 05:51pm

Member No: #82
You have fitted the correct battery as per your VIN rather than from an after market website?
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 ferrarionur@msn.com (17 Apr 2015 : 04:45)
ferrarionur@msn.com   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 04:46am
The old battery did not turn out to be faulty and the replacement was of the correct type.

Could I be having an earth problem? I've heard that the earth cable going from the battery to the gearbox.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 10:03am

Member No: #1
Only way to know is to check the earth straps.
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 ferrarionur@msn.com (17 Apr 2015 : 10:09)
ferrarionur@msn.com   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 10:10am
Admin Dave wrote ...

Only way to know is to check the earth straps.

Will get cracking and let you know how I get on. the front straps near the headlight seem to be fine however the one going to the gearbox is very hard to access, the alternator and battery may need removing.
ferrarionur@msn.com   
Sun Apr 19 2015, 04:48am
All earth wires were checked yesterday however the issue still remains, I'm now thinking faulty alternator?

Any ideas..
leaphtc   
Sun Apr 19 2015, 06:54am
Member No: #32762
Measure the alternators output voltage. Most of them will have anything between 13 and 14.5 volts.
1 User said Thank You to leaphtc for this Post :
 ferrarionur@msn.com (19 Apr 2015 : 14:15)
ferrarionur@msn.com   
Tue Apr 21 2015, 12:14pm
I haven't yet checked the alternators but for the past two days the problem seems to have disappeared, will check the alternators first if the problem comes back.
Darko013   
Mon Sep 21 2015, 09:30am
Member No: #42108
Hi, guys, new to the forum. First post.
I have exactly the same problem with my C4 so I was looking online for the solution and google send me here.
First of all, I know what the problem is, I was just looking for some help about things I'll mention leter on.
First on the problem: The issue is with the fuse box protection case. Official name is "case PGA 6500JE".
As in your case ferrarionur, the problem doesn't occur all the time. If it is a warm day everything is fine, it's on a bit cooler days when it will not start.
I was at service and it cost 250 euros to replace the case. They didn't have the part, so I have to wait until they order one.
You don't have to remove the positive battery cable all the time to start the car.
Hit the part that I circled on the pic lightly with your fist before giving the contact with the key. I know, it sound idiotic but the guy at official Citroen service told me that. I had a WTF!? face too.

The thing I was looking for online is: apparently Citroen Croatia had a recall in january 2013, considering this issue. Some owners got letters to come to the service to replace the case. Many owners didn't get the letter so I'm trying to find what was the case around Europe. Did you guys get the info about the recall? I guess ferrarionur didn't get it, but others?
If there was a recall I'm gonna try to force Citroen Croatia to make the repair for free, but I have to find some official info about it.

3 User said Thank You to Darko013 for this Post :
 ferrarionur@msn.com (06 Oct 2015 : 04:13) , DaveWilliams (01 Feb 2017 : 00:30) , wesso (13 Mar 2017 : 08:22)
ferrarionur@msn.com   
Tue Oct 06 2015, 04:17am
Thanks for your response Darko013,

The problem is still occurring and started to get a lot worse, I will try replacing this part and see how it goes.

Has your issue been completely resolved after changing this casing?
ferrarionur@msn.com   
Tue Oct 20 2015, 07:00am
Hi Darko,

The new part has been fitted today, I will have to see from tomorrow morning onwards if the car will decide to start without any issues,

You were right about hitting that area with you fist, it works perfectly when done
1 User said Thank You to ferrarionur@msn.com for this Post :
 Darko013 (27 Jan 2016 : 17:15)
Darko013   
Wed Jan 27 2016, 05:21pm
Member No: #42108
Sorry mate, I've fixed the problem so there wasn't need to drop into the forum again.
I actually didn't replace the part. A friend of mine is a biker and he suggested I try and spray the contact spray on that area. I took the plastic cover off and sprayed a little bit. For a few days after it was still problematic and just when I decided to take the car to the service it started to work perfectly. It took few days for a spray to dry out. It's been 4 months now, lots of cold weather but everything works. Not a single time did it happen again. So, 250 euros still in my pocket.
gmerry   
Thu Jan 28 2016, 07:36am
Member No: #11625
Hi all, when I last looked under the cover of the battery top fusebox of our 2012 B7 C4, all I saw was various Maxi and other fuses. So a bit like previous posters, all that should be required is removal of fuses (having first disconnected battery terminal), cleanup of any corrosion, lubrication with Ferrosol or similar and reassembly. Note contact cleaner won't provide long term protection for the contacts in this relatively exposed location. Ferrosol WILL provide long term corrosion protection for the bolted connections.

Note, I had to do the same for the battery mounted fusebox for the C6. Possible battery fumes add to the corrosion potential.

Regards
G

PPS, there is a nasty little feature of the B7 wiring which has a live (positive) terminal exposed at the front of the battery cover. Watch your tools around this area to avoid a nasty burn: better still, cover this with insulation and/or insulating tape.
DaveWilliams   
Wed Feb 01 2017, 12:41am
Member No: #47448
Had the same. Fault, open car with fob, wing mirrors did not move, on turning on ignition, battery charge fault was shown and engine wold not turn over, took car to main agent from where I bought the car and was told the ECU required changing some £1400 later got a phone call telling me that the battery fuse box required replacing at a price of £300, was also told that the ECU was not communicating. Feel ripped off after reading this post,
DaveWilliams   
Wed Feb 01 2017, 03:34pm
Member No: #47448
Got the car back today, with new CPU and new battery fuse box fitted, had a lengthy discussion with the service manager about where his tec should have started his fault finding as I had identified a volt drop between the battery and the left hand side of the fuse unit and passed this information on to them, the two sides of the fuse box are individually fed from the positive terminal of the battery, on the right side, the connection between the battery and the fuses can easily be seen and tracked, but on the left side where I had the volt drop, on this side I could not see the circuit because it appeared to disappear into a non serviceable part of the fuse unit with a red label on it.

When I picked the car up, I requested that the replaced parts be returned to me, they did not like this, on getting home I inspected the fuse unit and cut into the plastic casing of the encapsulated non serviceable part to find an electrical/mechanical relay, I assume and feel that I'm quite right that when the cars ignition switch is turned on or the doors are unlocked this relay is energised and the pair of contacts make feeding the left hand side of the fuse unit, so It's now quite clear that this relay was not operating correctly causing high resistance across the contacts, thus the volt drop, and yes a sharp tap on the top of the unit would probably help the relay's contacts make.

I think that when the volt drop was seen by the CPU I'm sure it saw this as a low battery voltage and put place the eco mode and displaying the battery charging fault display. This indicates to me that the CPU was operating correctly as I had no other faults displayed and it did what it should have done with a low voltage signal.
2 User said Thank You to DaveWilliams for this Post :
 andresis (12 Mar 2017 : 05:26) , wesso (13 Mar 2017 : 08:58)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member