or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

308 boot storage tray (or where to store your jack)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Irritant   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 12:51pm
Member No: #4515
As most of you know, C4s and DS4s are very similar to Peugeot 308s. Many of the parts and accessories are compatible.

The mk1 308 under shelf storage tray (part number 965781, £65.59) almost fits in a DS4. With a full 19 inch alloy spare under my boot floor, I needed to find somewhere else to store my jack.

This may work in C4 mk2s, it definately won't work for mk1s. I have no idea about Picassos.

The tray seems to fit...

But there's a gap at each side. The tray is 10mm too short and can easily fall out.

The gap between the parcel shelf supports is 972mm on a 308, and 982mm on a DS4.

Could someone with a C4 mk2 measure the gap between the parcel shelf supports at the narrowest point? If it's at least 972mm then this will work.

The mounting brackets are push fit.

If you pull them out, you can modify them.

The first thing you need is a bigger support. I used some strips of aluminium.

60 grit sandpaper (aluminium oxide paper if you're pedantic) makes short work of the paint.

Roughen the surfaces, then stick them together with an adhesive of your choice. I used Araldite Rapid epoxy resin.

You could stop there, but I'd rather do it properly.

Hammerite Special Metals Primer. Hammerite doesn't like aluminium very much. It might have been OK without, but I didn't want to take the chance.

And Hammerite smooth black.

To prevent the tray sliding about, I put some self-adhesive Hobbycraft Fab Foam on the bottom, bought for the princely sum of 80p.

And some Rolson foam rubber matting on the sides to pack it firmly. This was left over from my spare wheel project. I stuck the foam down with double sided Sellotape.

Push the mounts back into place.

And install your tray. There's no chance of it sliding around and it doesn't make any noise.

So, about that jack...

That's not going to move.

I went to Halfords and spent too much money instead of wasting my day off shopping around.
HBR100 shock cord (bungee) for £13.99.
HBB130 grommets for £7.99.
I stuck the grommets in place with superglue just to be sure.

It wasn't easy to drill the tray. Start with a small hole, then widen it slowly with the correct drill for your chosen grommets. The drill will snatch at every possible opportunity and you might end up with huge novelty holes. If this happens to you, please post pictures.

The chocks you can see on the left are Draper 54500.

Now for the other tools...

I wrapped the other tools up in a sheet of foam I had stashed.

Held together with more shock cord.

And wedged behind the jack. No rattles.

Observant readers are probably wondering where the other bits are.

The emergency release for the electric parking brake is wedged in between the EPB and the foam it sits on. I don't think I'm going to need it very often.

The locking wheel nut key and the yellow plastic thing (what is that thing for?) are in the boot side pocket, along with a tub of Big Wipes.

I have my boot back!

The parcel shelf still sits correctly.

Now I just need to do something about that Peugeot badge. Turning the tray around isn't an option (the back looks nasty). Any suggestions?
barrie   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 01:06pm
Member No: #30672
Would a Citroen wheel centre badge not fit with a bit of fiddling and glue?

Barrie
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 01:44am

Member No: #1
Irritant wrote ...
The locking wheel nut key and the yellow plastic thing (what is that thing for?)

For pulling the chrome wheel nut covers off cars without full centre caps or the centre caps of those cars with them..................
crapday   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 02:05am
Member No: #11964
Reminds me of the old storage things you used to get for across the bath . Thats is a great idea though, but as I have a 2007 MK1 C4 I can't use it.

Gary.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member