or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

Fuel Gauge problem after service.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
druid   
Thu Feb 26 2015, 04:17am
Member No: #39176
Hope someone can help.

Just had the car serviced 2 days ago all filters and oil changed etc.
The only other thing that was checked was that the injectors where tight.

Just filled tank up with fuel to over flowing but the gauge and trip display is still showing what it was before service eg a empty bar on the top of fuel gauge and miles left from fuel.

Can anyone help and know what is wrong, could just having a service and the service indicator reset cause this problem?

Many Thanks
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Feb 26 2015, 05:38am

Member No: #1
Don't see how it's related but....

Disconnect the battery for circa 15 minutes to force a system reboot
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 druid (28 Feb 2015 : 08:39)
druid   
Thu Feb 26 2015, 05:52am
Thanks Dave what will I need to reset after doing this?
Will a full system boot reset everything?
Am I correct in thinking that I just need to remove the positive from the battery for 15 mins?
Many Thanks
BigJohnD   
Thu Feb 26 2015, 07:30am

Member No: #82
druid wrote ...

Am I correct in thinking that I just need to remove the positive from the battery for 15 mins?

Yes.

You will probably need to re-set the clock and might find the speedo in km/h but nothing worse.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 druid (26 Feb 2015 : 11:51)
druid   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 08:11am
Thanks guys.
So where am I going wrong?
I disconnected the positive from the battery and left it 45mins and then reconnected it and everything was still the same apart from the time and date, all the radio stations, trip computer etc were as they were before I took off the positive lead.
Please tell me where I am going wrong.
Honest   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 09:50am
Member No: #35215
Hi, druid! May be did your engine run at idle speed when you fill the tank? Than you are filling the tank with a bit fuel again and taking off the engine before. This is made on cars for fire-safety at gasoline stations. Or a level fuel doesn't have take a fall a definite level.I am confident that everything will go well.
1 User said Thank You to Honest for this Post :
 druid (28 Feb 2015 : 10:11)
druid   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 10:13am
Hi
The engine was switched off when I filled with fuel and it was on level ground.
I have got most of the display working apart from the very top bar on the fuel gauge is still not lighting up even though the tank is full to over flowing.

Honest wrote ...

Hi, druid! May be did your engine run at idle speed when you fill the tank? Than you are filling the tank with a bit fuel again and taking off the engine before. This is made on cars for fire-safety at gasoline stations. Or a level fuel doesn't have take a fall a definite level.I am confident that everything will go well.
Biohead   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 10:44am

Member No: #6049
How much fuel are you putting in? Are we talking a full fill up here, or just a top up?

If it's just that the top section doesn't light up, it could need a float calibration.
druid   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 11:06am
Thanks for the reply.
It was a top up £20 worth of fuel it was working fine before the service that's what I cant understand.
Should I just run the car until its about half full then top again and hope that lights the top bar?
How would you do a float calibration? as have never heard of that before.

Biohead wrote ...

How much fuel are you putting in? Are we talking a full fill up here, or just a top up?

If it's just that the top section doesn't light up, it could need a float calibration.

Honest   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 11:18am
Hi, Biohead! We are telling that if the engine wasn't switched off at the station than the "druid" would need just a top up. But the engine was switched. I think your opinion is true.
Honest   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 11:31am
And still how many litres were in the tank before and how many litres you filled a top up?

Biohead   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 12:33pm

Member No: #6049
With it only being a small top up, it could be that the system hadn't even registered. I'd run it down till there's less than 25% left then try filling up.

Also, what engine do you have?
If you have a HDi, you should be doing full fuel ups rather than topping up. Everytime you put fuel into the car, EOLYS additive gets added which is used during the DPF regen (if you have a DPF). The more often you fill up, the quicker you get through this stuff - and it's not cheap to refill.
1 User said Thank You to Biohead for this Post :
 druid (28 Feb 2015 : 14:47)
druid   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 02:55pm
Thanks for the replies.
The engine is a 1.6 HDI without a DPF so don't think I need that fluid.
Interesting about doing full fill ups all my other cars it has never made a difference I always top up every week so I have a full tank and I have done over the last couple of weeks and the gauge always lit up fully. I topped about 20 litres so I would have expected to register that amount to be honest.
Even the display that tells you how many miles you have left in the tank has not changed which is also odd.
I will try what you said and see if the gauge drops and when it is 1/4 full I will top up.
What is involved with the float calibration?

Biohead wrote ...

With it only being a small top up, it could be that the system hadn't even registered. I'd run it down till there's less than 25% left then try filling up.

Also, what engine do you have?
If you have a HDi, you should be doing full fuel ups rather than topping up. Everytime you put fuel into the car, EOLYS additive gets added which is used during the DPF regen (if you have a DPF). The more often you fill up, the quicker you get through this stuff - and it's not cheap to refill.

rusky   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 04:12pm
Member No: #27768
A float calibration needs Lexia/Diagbox & involves emptying & filling the tank so you need somewhere to store a tankful of diesel!
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 druid (28 Feb 2015 : 23:04)
yovavb   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 03:37am
Member No: #14234
it could be only a small dirt got into the float.
just run the car and get to about 1/4 tank and fill up.
if this won't help, the float is located under the back seat.
if the car is no longer under warranty, than just take it out and look if you can see dirt or extensive wear.
1 User said Thank You to yovavb for this Post :
 druid (01 Mar 2015 : 12:34)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member