or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Touchscreen rebooting etc

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
emilyanne1   
Sat Feb 14 2015, 05:11pm
Member No: #21361
Has anyone had problems with the touch screen rebooting when it wants for no apparent reason? It has happened quite a few times & my local dealer has said it is waiting for Citroen to come back with a resolution. Whether I am scrolling through the album list on my iPod or just listening to something on DAB it (the touch screen) goes blank & comes back on in a minute or so.

Also the internet browser is so diabolically slow at loading it may as well not be there. The iPod also plays slow through the car stereo system but when headphones are connected the iPod plays fine. Also in the settings on the touch screen there is a box which if you tick it helps animations. If you tick it the screen is even slower than normal ~& my dealer has said to leave it unticked to help!

Also, the driver's seat armrest is very reluctant to get in to a horizontal position. It will just go up & down constantly without being an armrest. I have logged a complaint with Citroen on the touchscreen, with this being the heart of most things on the car, it feels as if it is powered by the slowest processor Citroen could find.
1 User said Thank You to emilyanne1 for this Post :
 Boblexden (13 Nov 2020 : 16:52)
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Feb 15 2015, 02:49am

Member No: #1
There is a long 'sticky' thread here on Top screen issues - Click Here -

My 'Personal' opinion on all the technology in cars these days:

'Internet connection' why do you need that in a car?

It's just another distraction like mobile phones which has the potential to cause accidents.

People complain that they can't see their 'album artwork' on screen when they should be looking at the road ahead............

'Hill Assist' doesn't work, well you as the driver should be in control of the car at all times so it's another function that should be removed.

I could go on but......
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 emilyanne1 (15 Feb 2015 : 16:58)
BigJohnD   
Sun Feb 15 2015, 04:43am

Member No: #82
I admit I prefer efficient and reliable engines, powerful brakes, high levels of safety and comfy seats to novelties like stop-start systems, fancy entertainment systems and bizarre auto-locking.

It took me over a year to realize my C4 had hill start assist as I always used the handbrake. Shows how necessary it is...
2 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 emilyanne1 (15 Feb 2015 : 16:58) , sauntson (09 Dec 2023 : 05:21)
Anhunedd   
Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:00am
Member No: #34658
emilyanne1 - I doubt it'll ever get fixed. Mine kept doing the same. They tried upgrading the software - no fix. They replaced the entire unit - no fix. Due to there also being so many electrical faults on my car, I even had a complete new replacement car - still not fixed. That replacement has had the latest software upgrade - no fix. It's also had the top screen replaced ( common problem as stickied) - no fix.

Citroen have now disowned me - they claim there is nothing wrong and it's my problem being caused by my iPod or iPhone - even though the problem still occurs when neither of those are even in the car.

If it is any help, some people have reported that it is due to iPods with hard drives being "incompatible" - if you are using one of those, and have another one, try that. You may get lucky.
1 User said Thank You to Anhunedd for this Post :
 emilyanne1 (15 Feb 2015 : 16:58)
bluehdi   
Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:54am
Member No: #2617
Emilyanne1

I've not had problems with the lower touchscreen, but maybe able to offer some thoughts on the issue.

Your problems seem to all be linked to the SMEG+ touchscreen system (which itself has a processor and memory and operates as a small computer). It would be very useful to establish which version of the software you have as there have been numerous versions (depending on factory exit dates).

If you push and hold the cog icon down (at the top left of the touchscreen), you will be able to establish all of the version numbers for your system unit, maps, display screen and Bluetooth.

For information there have been quite a lot of versions of the software with the latest (as at January 2015) being SMEG5.2.AR.9 CD 26028 Dated 03-09-14. As Anhunedd has said though, it doesn’t sound like there is an easy fix for this iPod issue.

I know you shouldn’t have to, but I would be tempted to try a workaround and put some MP3’s onto a standard formatted FAT 16 or FAT 32 USB memory stick and see if that works. My car is on SMEG5.1.FR4 21.2.14 and to date I have a Nokia phone Bluetooth connection for calls and music (if required) plus an 8Gb USB stick with around 1400 MP3’s loaded. I leave this plugged into the USB socket all the time, and haven’t yet seen any rebooting troubles.

With regards to Internet access (which only works when the car is parked), you will find that all of our systems, regardless of software version are slow (just the way it is I’m afraid) and it also uses Bluetooth DUN to connect to supported phones, which is not the fastest connection protocol. I’ve got it working and managed to create some Internet favourites, but it’s far quicker to just use your smartphone. It’s almost like Citroen included it as an afterthought and didn’t expect many people to use it!

To be helpful these are the version numbers that you may come across:
V4

SMEG 4.1.BR8
CD20329 of 06/14/13

Update (01/14):

SMEG 4.1.DR2
20352 CD 09.10.13

V5

SMEG 5.0.DR2
25082 CD 27-09-13

Update (03/14)

SMEG 5.1.ER2
25571 CD 12/16/2013

Update (06/14)

SMEG 5.1.FR4
of 02.21.2014

Update (11/14)

SMEG 5.2.A.R9
CD: 26028 from: 03-09-14

I know one of these above updates addressed the issue of the on/off audio system behaviour, which on earlier cars left the stereo coming on every time after the car had been switched off. I cannot establish a full fix list though at present.

These versions are shared across the whole Peugeot/Citroen platform so 208, 2008, 308 II and new 508 models (those fitted with SMEG+ rather than SMEG touchscreen) will all also have the same version numbers. Also including the C4 Cactus, C4 Picasso and C4 Grand Picasso and the forthcoming new C4 models.
1 User said Thank You to bluehdi for this Post :
 emilyanne1 (15 Feb 2015 : 16:57)
BusterDan   
Sun Feb 15 2015, 12:10pm
Member No: #37679
So far none of the issues mentioned on my car which has SMEG 5.2.A.R9
CD: 26028, although I can't help but think it's just a matter of time.

Personally I love technology however the downside is that when it goes wrong it usually goes badly wrong. I understand Dave's point of view re: distractions although in some cases these feature can be a help... for example swiping through album art has surely got to be better than shuffling through the glove box looking for an 8 track cassette!
1 User said Thank You to BusterDan for this Post :
riven1962   
Sun Feb 15 2015, 03:29pm
Member No: #18905
Agree totally with what Admin Dave has said. I would not have the thing that help you reverse, "you" need to be in control of the car not a computer. Also, why do you need to see album art, just listen to the music.
1 User said Thank You to riven1962 for this Post :
BusterDan   
Sun Feb 15 2015, 04:27pm
riven1962 wrote ...

why do you need to see album art

It's an easier way to find what you want to listen to, rather than trying to navigate through folders and files.... and yes you could choose your music before you start off, create a playlist etc... but have you never wanted to change radio stations whilst on the move?
1 User said Thank You to BusterDan for this Post :
riven1962   
Mon Feb 16 2015, 03:39am
Member No: #18905
BusterDan wrote ...

riven1962 wrote ...

It's an easier way to find what you want to listen to, rather than trying to navigate through folders and files.... and yes you could choose your music before you start off, create a playlist etc... but have you never wanted to change radio stations whilst on the move?

Yes, I change station often. I either use the steering wheel or the pre-set's on the radio. Still no need for album art.
bluehdi   
Mon Feb 16 2015, 01:26pm
The current edition of Car magazine has an update on their long term test C4 Picasso and they state that the whole audio system slows down when an iPhone is attached, to the point that the speech slows right down as well!
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 16 2015, 01:44pm

Member No: #82
Never had an iPhone…
BusterDan   
Mon Feb 16 2015, 04:02pm
riven1962 wrote ...

BusterDan wrote ...

riven1962 wrote ...

Yes, I change station often. I either use the steering wheel or the pre-set's on the radio. Still no need for album art.

Fair enough... Not so long ago I thought I was spoilt for choice with a ten CD autochanger. But now you can have your whole music collection with you, better, safer methods for selecting music are needed. When I'm using Bluetooth streaming I often use voice commands on my phone.

(I have an android phone rather than iPhone)
bluehdi   
Sat Feb 28 2015, 07:16am
For information, new vehicles coming through production now have an updated version of software installed on the SMEG+ unit:

Update (01/15)

SMEG 5.2.C.R1
CD 26050
Date 08.01.15
2 User said Thank You to bluehdi for this Post :
 spent808 (28 Feb 2015 : 19:10) , BusterDan (02 Mar 2015 : 04:10)
BusterDan   
Mon Mar 02 2015, 04:12am
bluehdi wrote ...

For information, new vehicles coming through production now have an updated version of software installed on the SMEG+ unit:

Update (01/15)

SMEG 5.2.C.R1
CD 26050
Date 08.01.15

Hmm interesting... is this something that should (rather than at some point) be updated? Or as I guess, if it ain't broke don't fix it approach the best?

Does the update include any new features/fixes that you are aware of?
bluehdi   
Sun Mar 08 2015, 06:31am
I have managed to establish the following with regards to the differing versions of the SMEG+ software. Some of them make a bit of sense.

All releases will likely also have included within them, some bug fixes (still haven't been able to get a definitive list of these yet), but you won't get Citroen applying any of these upgrades unless in direct response and liaison with Citroen Technical. Upgrades are not available as a listed USB stick upgrade part yet either.

As suggested if all is OK at the moment, then I'd be wanting to leave the unit well alone!

SMEG 5.0.D.R2 - 09/27/13

Introduced:
- DAB (for UK and certain other countries - not France)

SMEG 5.1.E.R2 - 16.12.13

Introduced:
- Navigation Maps
- Polyphonic Sounds
- PAN Protocol (internet access)
- Park Assist

SMEG 5.1.F.R4 - 21/02/14

SMEG 5.2.A.R9 - 09/03/14

Introduced:
- Active Cruise Control - ability for the driver to switch back to normal cruise and vice versa
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member