or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

C4 standard headlight replacment to Xenon

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
SLA   
Wed Sep 03 2014, 05:17pm
Member No: #37196
Hi,

I can't find any topics regarding this problem.

I bought xenon headlight units and just tried to connect them today.
Connectors fit no prob, but different pins are used.
Dipped beams working ok, hazard light and sidelights.
No direction indicators or full beams (when switched to full beam just dipped beams go up).
I`m aware that probably my model of C4 don't have load sensors for self levelling but I thought I can hook it with manual level adjuster located in the cabin.
My question is if somebody attempted it before, or somebody have the wiring diagrams for these connectors.
Also if anybody know if is possible to change the position of wires/connectors inside the block?

Thanks for help and sorry for my English.

First picture is a connector on standard light unit.
Second is the plu.
Third is connector on xenon light unit.

rusky   
Thu Sep 04 2014, 01:31am
Member No: #27768
The consensus from this thread - Click Here -
is that you'll also need headlight washers fitted into the front bumper with a new reservoir and wiring; self-levelling sensors and associated wiring;
the car's configuration to be changed to recognise the above changes and additions.

So it's not a plug-n-play fit.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Sep 04 2014, 02:51am

Member No: #1
It's just not worth all the effort and expense plus the risks of a large fine if stopped by the police because they're dazzling other road users and it's also a potential MOT fail.

Far simpler to trade the car for one with the units fitted as standard.
SLA   
Thu Sep 04 2014, 02:50pm
Thank you very much for answers.

Too late, I just done it
Had a fun with multimeter and find out just two cables needed to swap places in connection block.

I just level them manually by Allen key as standard ones to keep them quite low.
Next project will be to hook them up to the manual electric leveling.
Unfortunately there is no easy solution for heated washers...

My car have MOT next month I think, that why I keep standard headlights as well, just in case

Thanks again

Jay_C4_Picasso   
Thu Sep 04 2014, 09:04pm
Member No: #35151
Hi there, which cables did you swap around and is it working all good as I'm thinking of fitting xenons aswell. Thanks.
wozza   
Thu Sep 04 2014, 09:22pm

Member No: #2
SLA wrote ...

Thank you very much for answers.

Too late, I just done it
Had a fun with multimeter and find out just two cables needed to swap places in connection block.

I just level them manually by Allen key as standard ones to keep them quite low.
Next project will be to hook them up to the manual electric leveling.
Unfortunately there is no easy solution for heated washers...

My car have MOT next month I think, that why I keep standard headlights as well, just in case

Thanks again.

Washers do not have to be heated, just capable of washing. Otherwise it will fail an MOT. My VTS failed on washers.

Levelling system on a car like the C4, they will look it up see it should be self leveling and then see it is a retro fit and could just fail you. Depends on MOT station.
SLA   
Sun Sep 07 2014, 05:56pm
I will let you guys know if my car will past MOT or not, will see...
Just in case I still keep the standard units as well, but I did adjust the light low enough to nod dazzling other drivers.
As this car is my second car and I`m using it just to going to work and back, so there is no different loads on it, just me
I have seen a lot of HID conversion on other cars (xenon bulbs and ballast fitted to standard lights) which dazzling really bad and that could be really dangerous on the road, but for some reasons they still passing MOT.

And Jay_C4_Picasso, I swap green cable to pin no2 on passenger side and grey to pin no2 on driver side. That sorted my indicators, full beam wasn't working because on both lights bulbs was gone :/ (how likely was that)
Everything works fine, apart of the xenon dipped light doesn't flip up when you switch to full beams.

1 User said Thank You to SLA for this Post :
 robertogerent (04 Oct 2014 : 13:50)
CarlosGomes   
Mon Apr 11 2016, 07:39am
Member No: #43968
Hey SLA!

For your high beams (full beams) you simply changed the bulbs?
I did the conversion here to, and mine working fine, indicators and all, just the regular high beams are not turning on, but the xenon lights do flip up.
On the cars that come with the Xenon headlights as standard, do they flip the lights AND turn the bulbs on?
Biohead   
Mon Apr 11 2016, 11:31am

Member No: #6049
Yes, on cars that came with xenons both the high beam comes on and the xenon beam flicks up.
TwinsDad   
Mon Jul 31 2017, 09:55am
Member No: #46431
if the parts for xenons are fitted they have to work, self leveling and washers etc... However if presented for MOT and not fitted at all, they are not tested so therefore car passes, not the job of the centre to second guess what a car should and shouldn't have. hope this clears it up a bit.
BigJohnD   
Tue Aug 01 2017, 08:01am

Member No: #82
- Click Here - for an interesting article on HIDs and the MoT.
gittos   
Tue Aug 01 2017, 09:00am
Member No: #30055
Big John D, the link has a 400 Error
BigJohnD   
Tue Aug 01 2017, 10:01am

Member No: #82
Sorry about that - the link to the Autoexpress Site has the word "watch dog" in it and this site blocks that word.

Try this shortened version: - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 gittos (01 Aug 2017 : 10:19)
TwinsDad   
Sat Aug 26 2017, 12:43pm
Member No: #46431
Luckily as I said we don't check over here if not fitted. The article is more about the discrepancy with the Irish MOT which is different to the UK. DVSA now (VOSA doesn't exist any more).
theTune71   
Sat May 09 2020, 06:52am
Member No: #55876
Sla , did you ever got those adjustmenst working ? did you manage to connect the normal headlight adjustments to the headlights ?

I am in the procces of doing the same trick and swap the headlights.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member