or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Ice and Sat Nav Questions

Poorly performing Hi-Fi Module 9711.GG

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
cittran   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 08:05am
Member No: #22946
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the optional tube sub (reference 9711.GG)? I had my dealer fit one as part of the deal when I purchased my DS4, as it had eMyWay but not the Denon option.

The problem is that I don't think it improves the sound inside the car at all. I can hear the sub if I open the boot and listen to it directly, even though it seems to only produce sound from one side (not sure if it's supposed to be like this, or if both sides should make sound). There is also close to no vibrations if you place your hand on the sub. To be honest, it doesn't really sound any different than one of the original door mounted speakers.

While I didn't expect this to be as good as the Denon or an amped system, I did hope that it would fill in the lower frequencies better than it currently does. As it is now, I can't really tell if it's connected or not while listening to music from within the car.

So, is this as good as this sub gets, or should I have it/the wiring etc checked out?

Many thanks in advance.
wozza   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 08:14am

Member No: #2
Are there are controls on it? If so can you provide some pictures of it for me?

Then I can see if it is set up correctly or not.
cittran   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 08:31am
Wozza wrote ...

Are there are controls on it? If so can you provide some pictures of it for me?

Then I can see if it is set up correctly or not.

Nope, there are no controls at all on it. Just a connection to what I presume is a lead from the rear speakers. Furthermore, PSA decided, for some strange reason, to use a 4 pin DIN connector on the sub...

As for pictures, I'm afraid that the pictures you'll find of the module online pretty much says it all. It's just a tube covered with some sort of leather and a single DIN connection.
cittran   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 09:07am
Quick update:

Managed to get hold of a 4 pin DIN to RCA adaptor, and as far as I can tell only one channel is active.

My guess is that it should have been connected to both the left and right rear speaker. Since mine is only connected to one or the other, it's most likely only playing at half power.

Some pictures for the interested:

wozza   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 09:51am

Does the leather come off anywhere? Or one of the end caps maybe the opposite end to the driver itself?

As it is a subwoofer it only needs connected to one channel. Typically mono anyway subwoofers. Not often you get them as stereo in standard audio systems or ever after market without multiple amps. Most sub amps are mono.

It sounds like it just isn't turned up enough on the gain if it is that low though.
1 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
 cittran (07 Feb 2012 : 13:08)
cittran   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 01:08pm
I've been digging around service.citroen.com and finally been able to find the installation guide for the sub.

It's hooked directly up to the head unit via an adaptor, so I guess my theory about connecting to the rear speakers was wrong.

There are no controls since the unit is passive, and that's why it performs so poorly. I guess I was hoping for a little bit more "oomph" considering the size and spec of the thing (it's rated 2x50W RMS).

Anyways, thanks for the help Wozza.
wozza   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 01:22pm

Does the subwoofer have any other connections apart from the RCA input? It seems rather strange not to have anything else. The thing has to have an amp built in if it is saying it is rated at 2x50w RMS...otherwise where do they get the output from? Standard audio in the C4/DS4 is 4x12w RMS. Which is used on the front speakers and the rears. So what exactly is supposed to be powering this thing? As an RCA is not there for power, just to provide a low level signal for later amplification.

Unless it needs to be hooked up to a suitable amplifier. Which kind of defeats the purpose of a system like this. As usually it is an all in one type of thing with an integrated amplifier.
cittran   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 01:59pm
The only connection is the 4 pin DIN connection, that's the only thing going in or out of the sub. Strangely, I can't seem to find it in the english DS4 accessories brochure(it's featured in the norwegian one), but if you can have a look at it on page 18 in the DS3 brochure

Judging by the pic of the adaptor in the instructions, it seems like there is some sort of splicing onto one (or more) of the regular speakers. I guess the rating is just for the speakers in the sub itself. So in essence, it's probably more like an extra speaker than a real sub

Btw, the picture of the RCA adaptor is not required/included in the original set. It just something I used to check if it was a stereo signal or not (I was comparing it to aftermarket active subs, which seem to require a connection from both the rear speakers if you're not using a low level RCA connection).
wozza   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 03:03pm

Might be worth returning the Citroen item if they will let you. Guessing it cost a fair bit of cash. Then getting something aftermarket that will do the job. Reckon a decent 10" or even a nice 8" sub would do the trick.
jmv_driver   
Mon Dec 31 2012, 10:33am
Member No: #28720
Cittran where is the connector to plug in the sub? i'm thinking make one custom made and use the original connection, it is possible right? regards
NightStalker   
Thu Jul 17 2014, 07:56am
Member No: #36496
Hey guys, sorry for bringing this topic back from the grave but I have some questions.

I got my hands on one of these Bass Boxes and by the looks of things it's not going to sound great but I have it now so might as well install it.

Now the Q is where do I plug this 4 pin Din plug in? is there a hidden plug under the seats or something or do I need a wiring kit? I have a DS4
IC   
Thu Jul 17 2014, 08:36am
Member No: #36414
Not familiar with this exact unit but I have fitted many subs in the past.
Firstly on a bass tube it will generally only have one driver (Mono as mentioned previously).
If the tube has an integral amp then the 4 pin DIN could be both power and signal.
If it's connected directly back to the head unit as I suspect it is then there should be controls in the head to adjust it's settings.
It would (or should) not be connected through any of the four speaker output channels as this could never work correctly.
The head unit (if connected directly to it) will have a crossover built in which effectively splits out the low/bass frequencies and sends only those to the bass driver. Connecting from existing speaker cables would push all frequencies and sound BAD!.
I'd say, stick a voltage meter on the DIN connections and post your results mate...I'll try to help further if I can.
(EDIT)...Also looks like the lead pictured is simply a stereo signal lead which would point as you said to a passive sub unit. Therefore the crossover and amplification must come solely from the head unit.
Unusual to say the least
I'd go for the meter and check whats coming out on the DIN end.
Could be that that out put from the head is meant to be fed to an external crossover and amp. But then makes me wonder why to a DIN that connects directly to the sub??
Lets face it, if you want premium sound then go for aftermarket kit always works out better
1 User said Thank You to IC for this Post :
 NightStalker (17 Jul 2014 : 09:54)
NightStalker   
Thu Jul 17 2014, 09:54am
The thing is I got it for free so won't say no. At the moment by the looks of it there's no wires from the HU to the back of the car with a DIN end to plug the sub into so the meter on a dead sub (no power coming from the sub) won't help me right?
I have a feeling I might have to take it to a sound shop to get wires from the Head Unit to the back with a DIN adapter so that I can plug the sub into something.

It makes sense to plug it directly into the Head Unit and not one of the rear speakers.

Thanks for the help and will post the results once I get it to work. (seems way easier to make the car go faster than to fit a little sub)
IC   
Fri Jul 18 2014, 07:35am
Member No: #36414
I'd start by pulling out the head unit and see if it has any outputs similar to these:
- Click Here -
Notice the left pair labelled SW (Subwoofer)
These would then be connected to an external amp, then some standard speaker cable from amp to bass tube.
Insert your favourite Showaddywaddy mp3 and away ya go
NightStalker   
Fri Jul 18 2014, 08:43am
okay cool, thanks will give that a shot
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member