or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Rear Hub Nut Replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
rickydg   
Wed Jul 02 2014, 11:47am
Member No: #30071
Hi All,

Just replacing my rear discs and pads on my 08 C4 1.6 HDi Hatch. New discs came with new hub nuts and caps. The question is, when putting on the new hub nut, after it has been torqued to 90Nm, do I need to hammer a dent back in to the hub nut like the original? 90Nm doesn't seem very tight to me, and the Haynes manual says it should be torqued to 300Nm?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
R
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jul 02 2014, 01:03pm

Member No: #1
Forget 'Haynes' Citroens Tech Doc quite clearly states Tighten to 9 ± 0,9 m.daN and lock with a pin drift. (I just checked) so 90nm is correct.
Honest   
Wed Jul 02 2014, 01:12pm
Member No: #35215
Hi, rickydg! 90Nm - it is for a wheel bolt. I had been torqued to 280-300Nm and after I was done by the hammer its the dent back in to the hub nut.
Regard
Honest
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jul 02 2014, 02:35pm

Member No: #1
Honest wrote ...

Hi, rickydg! 90Nm - it is for a wheel bolt. I had been torqued to 280-300Nm and after I was done by the hammer its the dent back in to the hub nut.
Regard
Honest

Sorry, but I have read the Citroen Technical Doc and I cannot agree with you.

1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 Honest (03 Jul 2014 : 10:32)
rickydg   
Wed Jul 02 2014, 03:41pm
Member No: #30071
I also have another issue. One of the T50 bolts has rounded off about half way out and I cannot get the remainder out. These bolts seem to have an inch of thread lock on them! The other ones all came out ok, stiff but ok. I know I'm going to need a replacement from Citroen, but what's the best way to get the old one out? I was thinking of getting some heat on it with a heat gun or blow torch and using some locking pliers to ease it out. Good idea or not? What other options do I have to remove it? Are the bolts available from anywhere other than Citroen?
Honest   
Thu Jul 03 2014, 10:32am
Member No: #35215
Hi, C6 Dave! That's true!, true enough! I did not it. I am going to a garage tomorrow and correct error. Thanks C6 Dave!
NotoriousPyro   
Tue Feb 25 2020, 08:28am
Member No: #54794
Thanks Dave for the image, however I cannot agree with your interpretation of those steps.

The method is a combination of both pre-torquing to 90nm -/+ 9 nm, followed by angular torquing 29 -/+ 5.

This results in a total nm of around 280-300 nm. Same as haynes. None of the other steps in Citroen with dots are optional, they're labelled in order to do. For example, you don't optionally perform the "fit" steps "rear brake hub disc" or "new hub nut" you do both, one after the other.

Here's another example:

"The most accurate way to tighten bolts is to work gradually. Tighten all the bolts in rotating sequence, using a third of the force needed each time. The final measurement includes the degree of angle rotation according to the specified setting for the fastener. This is the final test for strength and reliability."

- Click Here -
Markta   
Fri May 01 2020, 06:10pm
Member No: #49278
Honest wrote ...

Regard
Honest

I’ve done the job recently on a 2007 Citroen C4 (disc complete with wheel bearing) and it’s 300nm with a torque wrench then a pin punch to notch the hub nut to hub axle.
Markta   
Fri May 01 2020, 06:16pm
Member No: #49278
rickydg wrote ...

I also have another issue. One of the T50 bolts has rounded off about half way out and I cannot get the remainder out. These bolts seem to have an inch of thread lock on them! The other ones all came out ok, stiff but ok. I know I'm going to need a replacement from Citroen, but what's the best way to get the old one out? I was thinking of getting some heat on it with a heat gun or blow torch and using some locking pliers to ease it out. Good idea or not? What other options do I have to remove it? Are the bolts available from anywhere other than Citroen?

Is the rounded off bolt securing the pad carrier to hub? I had one round off the same as you but there was about 4mm undone. If the bolt is halfway out, I just use a Dremel with cutting disc to cut the bolt head off. Once carrier is off, I just put the stud in a vice and unwound the stud out.

I purchased 4 new T50 bolts but could only get them from a dealer. They come thread locked.

Do bear in mind that many Peugeot dealers can also get hold of them as they use the same brake set up as Citroens.

Hope that helps.
DeuxChevaux   
Sat May 02 2020, 06:09am
Member No: #16472
Heat will also break down the thread lock, I do wish they would make these bots from something other than chocolate though! Last one I had problems with I replaced with a normal hex head high tensile bolt from a local supplier
vexorg   
Sat May 02 2020, 07:09am
Member No: #48843
Looking at that older post, 29° seems a very strange angle to specify

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member