or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Mods and Styling, Chassis, lowering, wheels etc.

Smaegl's hatchback

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Smaegl   
Sun Jun 29 2014, 04:25am
Member No: #36196
Hey guys (and girls),

my name is Andy, I come from germany and I drive a 2008 C4 1.6 16V VTR+ hatchback.

Mods so far are some wind-deflectors (great invention), tinted windows and a set of 18 inch OZ Superturismo's.

I had Bilstein B14 coilovers installed, but removed them this spring because of the harsh ride Now I am stuck with the stock suspension, which is pretty annoying, too. But I am looking forward to order the H&R Monotube coilovers I just hope they are not as harsh as the Bilsteins. I'd go with some springs, but here in germany the lowest ones are 35mm, and that just doesn't do it for me.

I'd also like to remove the badged from the tailgate, but I'd like to have a bit of sunny weather to do this.

Here's a picture from my car with the Bilstein's - sadly only taken with a cellphone. I'll make some nice ones when it's on the new coils

wozza   
Sun Jun 29 2014, 02:57pm

Member No: #2
H&R / Bilstein are basically the same. Believe Bilstein make the dampers for H&R's kits.

Bit like Eibach and KW and a few others all share parts. I wouldn't say they were overly harsh either. They aren't much worse than standard VTS suspension to be honest.

Just one of those things if you are after a soft ride, coilovers with track work in mind are not for you. The H&R and Bilstein are really more towards the track day kind of thing. So have to accept that on the road they will be a bit harsher.

I would imagine comparing them the KW's would likely be more comfortable.
Smaegl   
Mon Jun 30 2014, 02:25pm
Member No: #36196
I'm aware, that die H&R-coilovers use Bilstein dampers and I guess the Bilstein B14 uses springs made by H&R

So they could be similar, true. But a lot of people (in the german C4-forum and across many other brands) say, that the Monotube's are a bit more comfortable than the KW's.

The other problem with the KW's would be, that a bit of them seem to have major problems with the dampers.

And for the amount of money that goes into the new set of coils, I'd like to have something that "doesn't fall apart in a year or two".

Plus the KW's are about 880 quid (1099 Euro); the H&R's go for about 650 quid (814 Euro). That's quite a gap
wozza   
Mon Jun 30 2014, 05:26pm

Member No: #2
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the H&R's were actually a little stiffer than the B14's. Know they are on some other cars when comparing them.

If comfort was the main issue, you could have tried running a different lower rate spring. That is often the cause of comfort issues.

However, if you want a nice ride. Coilovers aren't the way to do it in all honesty. You have to be willing to suffer from a harsher ride as they are first and foremost designed with going faster. The ride height thing isn't there just to slam the car as low as it goes but is there to get it slightly lower and also to allow the car to be corner weighted generally.

Coilovers for the most part aren't meant for every day road cars. So a set of custom springs and some dampers can be better for the road. You can also use 307 springs on the C4 so you can get the Eibach 50mm sportline springs. They are the same, just like the B14's are for use on both the C4 and 307 if you check the manual.

Cobra, Spax and PI do 45mm springs for the C4. Vmax do a 50mm for the 307 as well.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member