or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Ice and Sat Nav Questions Coupe and Hatch Pre 2012 and C4 Picasso :: ICE / Sat Nav/Bluetooth etc.

C4 Adding iPod/USB MP3 support. Latest product from Citroën USB Box 9702.EZ

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Mar 29 2010, 09:54am

Member No: #1
With the radio removed you get access to the rear of the radio and the input sockets

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/images/c4/usb_box/no-cd.jpg|Free Ports||left][/shadowbox] [shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/images/c4/usb_box/cd-port.jpg|CD Multi changer Port||right][/shadowbox]

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/images/c4/usb_box/usb-box-in.jpg| USB BOX plugged into the RD4 Radio||right][/shadowbox]If the CD port is empty you can plug the USB BOX lead straight in however it won't work as you will need to get it enabled by a dealer laptop.

If the CD Multi changer is fitted then simply pull it out and replace with the USB BOX lead and when you power up you can use 'source' on the radio to read your iPod

drzava   
Mon Mar 29 2010, 10:42am
Ok so the pink wire IS plugged into the CD changer connector. Better find out what it does before unplugging it! Thanks for the help so far.
BigJohnD   
Mon Mar 29 2010, 10:44am

Member No: #82
I don't know if this helps, as it's taken from a slightly different angle. Both the 9706.AG Aux port and 9702.EZ iPod/USB interface are fitted.

Which pin is the pink wire attached to?

This should help (click image to enlarge):
[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/82/1216037197_82_FT38404_rd4_out.jpg|RD4 Quadlock Pin Guide::||]http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/82/1216037197_82_FT38404_rd4_out_.jpg[/shadowbox]

It looks like pin 12 in Part C, which is "not used"!!
drzava   
Mon Mar 29 2010, 10:56am
Definitely Part C. Looks like Pin 6 or - more likely - 12 (pic is above). Both 6 and 12 are listed as 'not used' in the wiring guide pic you posted. Strange!
Tumsk   
Wed Mar 31 2010, 06:59am
Help! More USB Box nightmares with a Used Dealer/Authorised Repairer who isn't too sure what they are doing....

# We've fitted the USB Box to a C4 Picasso Exclusive with the 'various shades of blue' two colour display with an MP3 capable RD4.

# The Used Dealer/Authorised Repairer charged £35+VAT to enable the USB box on the radio and say they've done everything that can be done on Lexia to enable it (CD Changer Present and CD Text, although apparently CD-Text was already enabled).

So....

- Sound works from an iPod
- Playlist/Album Navigation via PTY/Documents works fine
- Functions of button 1, 2 and 4 seem to work fine with an iPod.
- When on the 'home' screen there is no track number or track name displayed only "Wait" and an egg timer is displayed

So.... is this normal for this display type and if not which bit did the Used Dealer/Authorised Repairer do wrong so we can try and get them to fix it?

The Used Dealer/Authorised Repairer is pointing to the 'no track display on the 16/9 color display' get out, but we're fairly sure this means the fancy high end full colour display (earlier in this thread) not the 'various shade of blue background + black text/graphic' display!?!!?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
ianreeves   
Thu Apr 08 2010, 03:23pm
Member No: #13242
Hi Folks, First post so be kind....
I am sorry to drag open an old topic but didn't want to open a new one.

OK....
We've just purchased a second hand C4 Cool hatch (2007) with 8k on the clock.

The one reason I was allowed to purchase is was it had a USB/iPod adapter fitted by the dealer as part of the deal.

The problem is however there is nothing on the display at all when the iPod / USB is working. I am not fully up on the versions on radio but it's the standard one with six silver buttons under the display. The display is the basic LCD type A ?.

The iPod / usb works and you can change the track using the up/down left and right arrow button on the radio.

To access the ipod you hit the source button and it works, but the PTY Documents just says it's not available. The PTY on the radio just flashes but nothing on the display, not even a track id.

Can anyone shed some light. Is it just an old system which won't work on type A displays or does it need a further option enabled on the car ?

Thanks
slimgym   
Thu Apr 08 2010, 05:46pm
Member No: #3888
It's possible the dealer needs to activate it properly (what to ask for is further back in this thread).

Once you have switched source to the USB box you press the "1" button on the radio and navigate up/down through the list of tracks, playlists etc. You use right to go in to a folder and select a track to play, or left to go back a level. It's a bit clunky but functional
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Apr 09 2010, 12:02pm

Theres also a FAQ on how to set up a USB stick to display the info

Don't expect miracles frpm an iPod though, I only get get CD4 track: 2/99 etc in random mode
slimgym   
Fri Apr 09 2010, 01:55pm
Member No: #3888
My iPhone *seems* to be always in random mode. I can certainly pick a track to start with but it's anyones guess which track the next one is ... Luckily I mainly use it to listen to radio podcasts so they're about half an hour long. I've checked the car setup and it's not in random, and neither is the iPhone.
ianreeves   
Sun Apr 11 2010, 11:41am
Member No: #13242
Does anyone know if the TYPE A screen can display anything at all?
If so, do you have a screen shot I can take to my Dealer, he is convinced the screen won't work!
boovee   
Sat Apr 24 2010, 11:25am
Member No: #10714
Just womdering what`s in this box? I bet there`s nothing more than the wires going in to in and then being soldered onto a standard USB port female socket!Interesting? Has anyone taken one appart? Are they well sealed? Is it possible to DIY one yourself..these are hard times you know and I ain`t got £100!!
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Apr 24 2010, 12:41pm

Not having taken one apart I'm making an 'educated guess' that there is some kind of 'chip' and software to interface with the Can Bus and Head unit to convert iPod .ac files (as well as other formats) so that they can be read

Make a bet against it and I would 'bet' that you would loose, big time

A used USB box sold recently for £50 and there is also an 'X-car link' device out there which cost less
boovee   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 02:15am
Member No: #10714
Thanks for the reply.You`re right and I wouldn`t want to lose by bet! Thanks for the tip on 'X-car' device. Has anyone tried these? Think I might get one if the`rey any good. I have a C4 Exclusive with RD4 head and cd changer.Could I remove the CD changer and put this box in this compartment with my iphone? Any mods need to be done by Citroen bearing in mind I don`t currently have mp3 playback?Thanks!
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 04:42am

Might not be so good after all, have a read of: - Click Here -
stevem999   
Sat May 01 2010, 03:36am
Hi guys, I had a USB box fitted to my C4GP when I bought it used a couple of years back. I was expecting to buy an ipod soon after but didn't actually until recently. It's an 80GB classic incidentally. My problem is that the USB box doesn't seem to be charging the ipod, which I'm sure it is meant to do? Is there a power cable which the dealer has missed off when connecting it up, or is it an all-in-one sound, power and data plug that goes in the back of the head unit?

If so, how come I'm not getting power? My local citroen dealer professes to have never seen an USB box (queried if it was even a Citroen part), but I don't have much confidence in them anyway. Any ideas please?
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member