or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

New C4 Picasso Exclusive+ THP155 Spare Wheel Issue

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
DaveG   
Wed May 21 2014, 05:07pm
Member No: #35618
Took delivery of my new C4 Picasso on Monday and it's an absolutely terrific car but have a question re the spare wheel.

I specified the car with the optional space saver spare wheel as wanted something better than the standard get you home kit but when it arrived we quickly noticed that whilst an appropriate sized wheel had been supplied, the lift-up boot floor was no longer supported as the polystyrene compartments that fit either side of the wheel were not in the car.

This means the boot floor is resting on a 1cm ledge either side of the boot and when any object is placed on the boot floor that's heavier than an apple then the floor collapses into the spare wheel well and ends up resting on the spare wheel as there's nothing to support it from underneath. Effectively there's a two inch gap between the underside of the boot floor and the top of the spare wheel with nothing to support it.

The car has the 18" Python alloys so apparently the standard space saver wheel is not suitable as it isn't big enough so the dealer has fitted a larger spare wheel and I've been told that there's no alternative polystyrene fittings that then fit.

It seems like I either have to keep the wheel that's been supplied and put up with a boot floor that collapses all the time or can have the original parts (compartments, compressor etc.) back and keep the spare wheel in the garage.

Currently have this as an outstanding issue with the dealer and have also phoned Citroen UK to register my dissatisfaction that they allow people to spec up the car with the spare wheel then don't or can't provide suitable parts to support the boot floor.

If it's not possible to have a spare wheel when the car has the 18" alloys then that should be made clear in the brochure but it makes no mention of that at all.

Citroen UK seemed to be saying it was for the dealer to resolve but I'm of the view it's Citroen's fault as they aren't supplying the relevant parts for the dealer to fit.

Seems daft to me.

Anyone in the same situation or know of a fix ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave_Retired.   
Thu May 22 2014, 01:59am

Member No: #1
Why not simply get a piece of 2" (if that is the distance to fill) high density foam, put it between the wheel and the boot floor panel and if all is well, glue it in place.....
DaveG   
Thu May 22 2014, 07:32am
Thanks for the thought Dave.

I've already got that one on the list for solutions as well as making a wooden floor with supports plus taking the original fittings and cutting them to fit around the larger wheel but these will be last resorts.

Can't believe that on a car so well thought out as the new C4 Picasso that there isn't a factory fit solution to the problem.

Still awaiting a reply from Citroen UK............
Dave_Retired.   
Thu May 22 2014, 09:45am

The problem is that the car was designed to have a can of 'gunk' to use in the case of a puncture, not a spare wheel and the 'tray'(1)that holds all the bits like the compressor, wheel wdge etc. acts as a support.

That 'Tray' sits inside the spare wheel in the old model Coupe and Hatch so what have you got?

BTW the kit shown below is listed for the New B78 C4 Picasso

DaveG   
Thu May 22 2014, 09:53am
The tools are all in their plastic box like in the diagram and that is just sitting in the spare wheel recess but it doesn't reach up to the base of the floor to support it in any way as the gap is too big.

There's two polystyrene compartments that go either side of the wheel that act as storage for the wheel brace etc as well as under floor storage that's missing. These also support the boot floor by the look of it.

Photo attached.

Dave_Retired.   
Thu May 22 2014, 10:53am

The tray should be the other way up and the tools on view?
BigJohnD   
Thu May 22 2014, 12:43pm

Member No: #82
DaveG   
Thu May 22 2014, 01:04pm
Good spot and I've done that now but it still doesn't bridge the gap. Yes it fits in more snugly as the male/female parts now interlock and hold it more securely but it doesn't solve the problem as the boot floor remains unsupported.

Thanks for the suggestion (and correction) though as this is how it came from the dealer so at least this is the right way round now.

I'll try and get a photo of the relevant page from the handbook and identify the parts that I think are missing and post a photo.
DaveG   
Thu May 22 2014, 01:12pm
The parts in the blue boxes are the parts that are missing which support the floor along with the elliptical part that sits atop the spare wheel......at least that's what I remember from when I looked at the car in the showroom and is what Citroen are drawing in the owners manual.

Dave_Retired.   
Thu May 22 2014, 01:27pm

DaveG wrote ...

Thanks for the suggestion (and correction) though as this is how it came from the dealer so at least this is the right way round now.

We used to have a thread 'The Dealer Told Me'

Anyway, with the spare in the well and the tray the right way up that's all correct.

I'm almost sure that the foam wedges wouldn't make much difference as they sit at the same level as the tray top (well did in the old C4)

Now the C6 actually has a formed layer of foam underneath to support it... (click image to enlarge)

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1400782611_1_FT197297_c6-boot-floor.jpg|Boot Floor::||]http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1400782611_1_FT197297_c6-boot-floor_.jpg[/shadowbox]

Here's what parts the New Picasso should have with and without the 'emergency' spare. If part (7) was tried it may answer the question for you but they are circa £44.00 to buy.... But looking at the image you posted it does sit on top of the spare wheel giving support (but with a full size wheel may be too 'thick'

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1400783111_1_FT197297_c4_picasso_b78_boot_floor.jpg|C4 Picasso (B78) boot flooring::||]http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1400783111_1_FT197297_c4_picasso_b78_boot_floor_.jpg[/shadowbox]
DaveG   
Thu May 22 2014, 02:04pm
That's a useful diagram - thanks.

It's parts (7), (8) and (9) that are all missing as they didn't fit with the larger spare wheel - presumably they fit with a standard 16-17" inch wheel but not with an18" wheel to act as a spare for the 18" Python alloy.

They do come right up to the boot floor looking at the diagram from the owners handbook and then with part (7) make a levelled area upon which the boot floor rests. They sit higher than the original space saver spare when part (7) is removed.

It's really a case of Citroen not making remodelled parts (7), (8) and (9) for when an 18" spare is fitted. I'm beginning to think it's an invalid combination that they should at have allowed me to order in the first place.
macky42   
Thu May 22 2014, 02:05pm
Member No: #35443
Have you seen for yourself that the original parts don't fit? I'm wondering why they wouldn't. Just took a look at mine, there seems to be about 1cm clearance all around the diameter of the standard space saver wheel - is the overall diameter of the one you have that much greater?
Even if they don't maybe you could make them fit with a hot knife
DaveG   
Thu May 22 2014, 02:11pm
Thanks for the suggestion.

No I haven't seen it for myself yet it's what "the dealer told me" and I have considered exactly as you suggest in terms of trimming them to fit but only as a last resort.

I'd rather Citroen had an out of the box solution for something they have sold me in the first place. If they are willing to sell me a space saver wheel when I have the 18" alloys fitted as standard then I expect them to supply all the parts that fit - it's not a cheap car in this spec and resorting to DIY fixes seems a bit of a let down as the rest of the car is brilliant.
Dave_Retired.   
Fri May 23 2014, 01:16am

As Macky42 says, 18" wheels will have the same rolling diameter as 16" or 17" - it's only the side walls that are lower so why exactly won't the blocks fit in?

Go to the dealer and get them to show you with blocks from a stock car.

Then you will have a definitive answer.
DaveG   
Fri May 23 2014, 02:15am
That's what I'll be doing to see it for myself hopefully this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll put updates on this thread.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member