or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

No lock barrel on driver's side?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
barki   
Thu Apr 24 2014, 02:11pm
Member No: #35200
Hi

New 2005 VTS (Petrol) owner here!

Well, my new toy keeps throwing up odd suprises.....tonight I realised that there is no lock barrel on my drivers door? Is this normal?

Even more bizarre, is that there IS a lock barrel on the passenger door, but the key doesn't fit/turn it?! The key fits the ignition though, unlocks the doors remotely, and starts the engine. But, if the car battery should run flat, I'd not be able to get in the car!

Cant work out what is going on here!
steely   
Thu Apr 24 2014, 02:17pm
Member No: #31790
It's normal for it to be on the passenger side but not the driver side, its so if the fob stops working you can still get in the car, they just never changed it to the driver's side when they swapped to right hand drive for the UK.

The key should fit it though, have you tried WD40 in the lock? Could just be seized if it's never been used
Biohead   
Thu Apr 24 2014, 02:19pm

Member No: #6049
The passenger side only lock is a shoddy job from Citroen converting from LHD to RHD. The same goes for the handbrake is closer to the passenger side, and the wipers are larger on the passenger side. Of course, on the LHD model these are all for the driver!

However, that key should definitely fit the lock on the door. Something is amiss with that - is there any history with the car? May be something stuck in the lock itself, or something such as the ignition barrel was changed in the past and the previous owner never bother to do the door.
gittos   
Thu Apr 24 2014, 02:41pm
Member No: #30055
DO NOT put WD40 into locks, it os not a long term lubricant it is a water dispersant (hence WD). When WD40 dries it leave a sticky residue which attracts dust and makes things worse than when you started. Only use proper graphite powder to lubricate a lock barrel, sold in small puffer bottles from locksmiths good diy stores.
barki   
Thu Apr 24 2014, 03:50pm
Hi,

Thanks very much for the responses, I have to admit, as much as I've loved my French cars in the past, not putting a lock on the drivers door just seems plain pikey!

They key slides into the lock alright, but wont turn it (I guess its not a good idea to force it!). Yeah I've got a pretty good history with the car, and its certainly not been in a major accident of any kind, but could well have had a new door or ignition barrel, I can't tell for sure.

Can I get a door barrel made to match the key using the key code? (if that's even possible, I bet its not economical )

Cheers again

Tom

DaveyP   
Thu Apr 24 2014, 04:52pm
Member No: #34693
DO NOT put WD40 into locks

Gota disagree, as a retired locksmith I found that both graphite powder and WD40 have their uses (horses for courses) in a locking mechanism that requires lubricant only.. then graphite (albeit a nasty dirty powder that seems to attach it self to keys and then magically leap onto white shirts and to the insides of trouser pockets) is a great choice, however WD40 is better for freeing seized lock parts.

Can I get a door barrel made to match the key using the key code?

Yes, you could even take the door lock to a proper locksmith and get it rebuild to match your existing key (caveats apply)

(if that's even possible, I bet its not economical )

Any thing is possible at a price, as to the economical... that all depends on your finances Vs the alternatives,
barki   
Sun Apr 27 2014, 11:14am
Hi,

Thanks for the help with this

Just to close this one off - I actually used a tiny squirt of WD40 in the end, and its worked a treat. Both keys now work and fit the lock, yay!!

Cheers,

Tom
1 User said Thank You to barki for this Post :
 DaveyP (27 Apr 2014 : 11:49)
DaveyP   
Sun Apr 27 2014, 11:52am
Member No: #34693
Well done Tom..

The rules for life the universe and everything are

1. If it moves and it shouldn't use Gaffa tape

2. If it doesn't move and it should use WD40

Dave_Retired.   
Sun Apr 27 2014, 01:00pm

Member No: #1
DaveyP wrote ...

2. If it doesn't move and it should use WD40

Personally I would get a can of Ferrosol from Bilt Hamber - Click Here -

Bit more expensive but far better than WD40.........
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 DaveyP (27 Apr 2014 : 16:05)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member