or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Gearbox Actuator + Clutch problems

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Gintoxic   
Wed Apr 23 2014, 08:22am
Member No: #16056
Back here again asking for your help and advice.
Our 2008 EGS Grand Picasso, 55K, is now suffering from the gearbox fault many people have experienced, car staying in Neutral all the time, gears not engaging. As with other cases, the car started jumping to Neutral from other gears and in the end not engaging on any.

I took it to a local garage after reading how expensive it was going to be if done at a main dealer and I'm still surprise at how expensive what I have been quoted is!
This garage is saying they have taken it to a main Citroen Dealer but they are getting a trade in discount for them so it's working out cheaper for me in the end.
Please, check the figures I have been given and let me know if they are reasonable or on the expensive side.

First I was told it was just the Actuator, not the clutch needs replacing too and I'm also being charged twice for coding...price as follows:

- Actuator: £1142.40
- Clutch: £672
- Coding: £35 + £64

Those prices include labour and VAT.

What's your opinion?
Any advice/help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

JohnC4GP   
Wed Apr 23 2014, 05:46pm
Member No: #15026
Firstly clean the grease out of the two large connectors on the top of the Gearbox ECU as it dries out and causes intermittent connections. If that does not help, check the EGS fluid level (It should be a bit above minimum when the system is fully pressurized, and go to maximum over time when pressure leaks out while the system is off). Lastly recalibrate the gearbox and clutch using Lexia.

If you are anywhere near Luton, I could take a look at it for you and rule out the simple stuff before buying expensive parts.
3 User said Thank You to JohnC4GP for this Post :
 Gintoxic (25 Apr 2014 : 11:59) , zivayalon (23 Jun 2016 : 03:52) , pilotlight1764 (20 Feb 2017 : 16:13)
Gintoxic   
Fri Apr 25 2014, 12:07pm
JohnC4GP wrote ...

Firstly clean the grease out of the two large connectors on the top of the Gearbox ECU as it dries out and causes intermittent connections. If that does not help, check the EGS fluid level (It should be a bit above minimum when the system is fully pressurized, and go to maximum over time when pressure leaks out while the system is off). Lastly recalibrate the gearbox and clutch using Lexia.

If you are anywhere near Luton, I could take a look at it for you and rule out the simple stuff before buying expensive parts.

Thanks for the advice and offer, unfortunately I'm in the Brighton area, a bit too far from you.

My car is now with a Citroen Main Dealer and they told me there's two things that definitely need replacing, clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel. They said they have never seen a Flywheel in such a bad condition and that the actuator might be working fine once the other two, clutch and flywheel are replaced...if not new actuator, flywheel and clutch. As you'll inagine the bill is going to be big, very big!!!
Car has just turned out 6 years old and with less than 60K on the clock.

Has Citroen offered any kind of goodwill contribution towards this problem to anyone, please?
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Apr 25 2014, 01:23pm

Member No: #1
Gintoxic wrote ...

Has Citroen offered any kind of goodwill contribution towards this problem to anyone, please?

Sorry, but that will be a no I'm afraid.
mickydee   
Sun May 11 2014, 02:44pm
Member No: #35488
Hi Gintoxic. what was the final outcome of the repair ? My C4 Grand Picasso displayed "gearbox faulty" last week setting the car into NEUTRAL as it dropped out of gear. Intermittently it would drive (so logic said that something else was causing the box not to drive not the box itself).

I investigated further and discovered exactly what other owners had found to be the fault.

It was only the return pipe on the actuator which had rubbed through and the oil had gradually been lost from the reservoir. £80 for oil and pipe and an hour on a friends ramp,. job done.

I hate it when dealers guesstimate faults and needlessly reprogram the cars system when clearly a bit of logic will point you in the right direction to effect a cost acceptable repair.
1 User said Thank You to mickydee for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (12 May 2014 : 02:30)
Gintoxic   
Thu May 22 2014, 01:54pm
mickydee wrote ...

Hi Gintoxic. what was the final outcome of the repair ? My C4 Grand Picasso displayed "gearbox faulty" last week setting the car into NEUTRAL as it dropped out of gear. Intermittently it would drive (so logic said that something else was causing the box not to drive not the box itself).

I investigated further and discovered exactly what other owners had found to be the fault.

It was only the return pipe on the actuator which had rubbed through and the oil had gradually been lost from the reservoir. £80 for oil and pipe and an hour on a friends ramp,. job done.

I hate it when dealers guesstimate faults and needlessly reprogram the cars system when clearly a bit of logic will point you in the right direction to effect a cost acceptable repair.

Sorry about the late reply.

Our problem in the end was down to the flywheel and the clutch, we ended up with a bill of £1100
It could have been worst since we were also told the actuator needed replacing.

It turned out the flywheel was in such a bad condition that was messing with the actuator. With a recoil ration of the gears and the new flywheel the actuator was working fine.

The clutch had been playing up for a while, slipping, and we knew soon would need to be replaced.

It was an expensive job, but it could have been worst, the actuator only would have been over £1000
littleclover   
Tue May 05 2015, 09:02am
Member No: #40203
Hi can anybody give me an idea where the actuator return pipe and reservoir are, how to access it and also where the connectors are that my be covered in grease so my husband can try this with my car before I sell it for a massive loss....I'm desperate to keep it but really want my husband to try this first!!

If anyone can upload a photo or something or explain how to find it.....c'mon I'm a woman, I know not much haha!
Dave_Retired.   
Tue May 05 2015, 09:49am

Member No: #1
Read this thread with pictures: - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 littleclover (07 May 2015 : 06:04)
littleclover   
Thu May 07 2015, 06:05am
Member No: #40203
Thank you admin dave, your help is really appreciated.

Bev
JVT   
Sat May 07 2016, 11:54am
Member No: #44102
Hey guys, I was at the stage of diagnosing a gear selector coherence fault and came across your

"Firstly clean the grease out of the two large connectors on the top of the Gearbox ECU as it dries out and causes intermittent connections. If that does not help, check the EGS fluid level"

Since my last post, I think I actually got to the bottom of my problem.
I don't want to speak too soon but it looks like it was all down to the thin blue wire which had come loose "on the top of the battery" wiring array
It seems that this got pulled when reseating the plastic battery cover a few times as there are a few bits on the cover that can 'catch' the wires.
I looked into it and found where the wire should go.
Bobs yer uncle, all errors cleared, starting ok, selecting all gears ok, Sainsbury and back.... ok !
After a month of just sitting there outside !
Still I'm glad it was a simple and inexpensive solution.

I'll give you a quick run-down of what was happening with this wire detached for info:
Came up with "gearbox fault" and that error code 1704 - gear selector coherence fault.
Had trouble selecting between 'R', 'N', 'A1', 'M'.
When trying to start even in 'N' and foot on brake to start - it would often STILL give the select 'N' and put foot on brake message - so wouldn't start.
When it did start by chance, it would come up with errors and would be very erratic in gear selection and would skip between manual and auto, only going up to gear 3 sometimes only by using the paddles.

So before going onto any other diags, just check this wire is fully home and connected if you have a similar set-up.
2 User said Thank You to JVT for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (10 May 2016 : 09:51) , mdon166 (21 Aug 2017 : 13:41)
claan719   
Sun Jul 07 2019, 07:42am
Member No: #54096
Hi !
I just experienced a very similar problem.
My EGS alarms with error code: P1510 Automatic gearbox ECU reception.

Symptoms are: Running fine on first gear slow speed and reverse gear.
Intermittent changes from first or second gear to neutral.

Hae just been cleaning the ECU Actuator connectors with no success.
Any suggestions what to try next ? EGS oil fill up ?

claan719   
Sun Jul 07 2019, 09:12am
Member No: #54096
Just checked the EGS oil level and the reading is full. No leakage whatsoever.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member