or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Solved - feed for rear parking sensors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
byngo   
Sun Apr 06 2014, 03:23pm
Member No: #34134
Having read other threads on fitting aftermarket rear parking sensors and seeing people have fed a wire straight from the bulb wiring in the tailgate I thought I'd add the method I followed.

At the same time I have been fitting a bypass relay for towing a small trailer.
This has an input / output for reversing lights which I don't need for wiring in my trailer board.

I also wanted to avoid running a wire from the tailgate which had a green wire + an earth at the bulb on near side. ( blue + earth drivers side). I needed to find at least one of these in the vehicle loom.

I traced the loom entering the vehicle roof area from the tailgate. This terminates at a large connector clipped to the body work rear pillar about 8 to 10 inches above the nearside light cluster.

You can pick up the same green wire from the nearside tailgate bulb at this socket. I spurred off it near there into my bypass relay so as not to power the reversing sensors directly off the car wiring.

Car is an 08 reg 5 seater C4 Picasso.
rusky   
Sun Apr 06 2014, 03:40pm
Member No: #27768
Just FYI, fitting a bypass relay isn't recommended as it doesn't include safety functions & could render your insurance invalid.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Apr 07 2014, 02:08am

Member No: #1
rusky wrote ...

Just FYI, fitting a bypass relay isn't recommended as it doesn't include safety functions & could render your insurance invalid.

For a lightweight unbraked camping trailer a bypass relay should be OK, for a Caravan or boat trailer etc. then it's a different story.
BigJohnD   
Mon Apr 07 2014, 03:15am

Member No: #82
Remember the maximum additional current which can be drawn from the lighting and other wiring is 10mA, which is next to nothing. Any more and you can expect CANBus errors or worse.

byngo   
Mon Apr 07 2014, 05:09am
Member No: #34134
BigJohnD wrote ...

Remember the maximum additional current which can be drawn from the lighting and other wiring is 10mA, which is next to nothing. Any more and you can expect CANBus errors or worse.

And that's why I fitted a bypass relay that draws less than 10ma.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member