or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Making a left-hand drive C4 Picasso UK Road Legal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Rock   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 02:40pm
Member No: #34500
Hi,
I have driven my German C4 Picasso (2007) back to the UK and am about to arrange for it to be MOTed and made UK road legal.

What will the 'road legal' part involve? I realise the headlights will have to be seen to, but does this involve a complete replacement, or the fitting of a lens kit or something?

Anything else need changing (possibly the rear fog light??)

Fortunately the speedo and odomoter can be changed from KPH to MPH in the international settings easily.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Rock
BigJohnD   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 03:11pm

Member No: #82
Other owners bringing LHD C4s into the UK have only needed to change the headlights as the car meets other EU specs.

Do you have halogens or HIDs? Do they dip noticeably to the right?
Rock   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 07:23pm
Many thanks for the response.

How would I tell if I have halogens or HIDs?

I checked the car at night, and the headlights on normal (dipped) beam actually do seem to be pointing more to the left than to the right.

I found on another forum that I need to get a Mutual Recognition Certificate from the Vehicle Certification Agency, and to get that I need to send a Certificate of Conformity (which I have), and a garage invoice and receipts to show that the headlights, speedo, and rear fog-light are all UK compliant.

Interestingly, they say that 'Stickers, beam benders / deflectors are NOT acceptable. Headlights must be either replaced, or be adjustable to dip to the left, or be original flat-beam headlights (whatever that is).

Details are here: - Click Here -

Cheers

Rock
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 01:39am

Member No: #1
'Original flat beam' are Xenon headlights which are self leveling and turn in corners.
BigJohnD   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 03:32am

Member No: #82
HID/Xenons are probably OK. A pair of RHD Halogen assemblies will be expensive - try a breaker's yard.
Dominik1978   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 09:44am
Member No: #34418
Hi,
3 things are to be changed:
- headlights
- speedometer (miles) - or you can change the units in the settings
- rear fog light (it has to be on on the right side, or in the middle)
You need also European Certificate of Conformity from the country where the car was first time registered.
The process of getting british plates is quite long and can be expensive.
I brought my car from Poland, so if you have got any questions, just ask.

Edit:
Sorry, you know already all what I wrote. You need to buy the insurance before sending documents to DVLA and not many agencies insure car with foreign plates.
Rock   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 12:39pm
Thanks Dominik,

I was hoping that the entire headlights did not need to be changed, but it appears that they do, so I am looking out now for a good deal on them.

I followed the advice of a colleague who came back to Britain with a Fiat, and had the same problem with insurance, for which they needed a number plate, and DVLA which would not register the car until they had proof of insurance, and he got into a chicken/egg situation. To solve this, he bought personalised number plates and told an insurer what the number plate would be once the car was registered in the UK, and they were happy with this. I have now bought personalised number plates, and will try the same approach.

Previously, I informed NOVA, and got their certification that no VAT was due.

I have still got to arrange the MoT, and have the road legal work done (headlights changed and rear fog light moved), then I will send the Certificate of Conformity and the invoice/receipts for the road legal work to the Vehicle Certification Agency for the Mutual Recognition Certificate (plus £100).

Then I will insure the car and cancel my German insurance, then I believe I will be ready to register the car here.

If all the above is correct (according to your experience) then the only advice I need is at what point do I get the car taxed?

I am currently not driving the car, it is on my driveway, and I will only drive it to the MoT garage before registration.

Cheers

Rock

routemaster1   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 01:40pm
Member No: #574
Rock wrote ...

I have still got to arrange the MoT, and have the road legal work done (headlights changed and rear fog light moved).

There should be no issue with the rear foglights as two are fitted. (unless the spec is different in Germany)
Dominik1978   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 03:15pm
I bought my headlights on eBay (129.90GBP).

Insurance - I bought very expensive insurance for 1 month (foreign plates).

Speedometer - computer settings from km to miles.

Tax - I took my documents to DVLA office. It was on 21.03.2013. At the counter I paid road tax (from 1.3.2013 to 28.2.2014). I did not get the tax disc - at this moment there was no British reg, so it was impossible to produce the disc. Now DVLA offices do not exist, so I do not know what is the procedure, but the road tax has to paid before registration.

Mutual Registration Certificate - you need to get a letter from the authorised MOT garage with signatures and stamps. In this letter there should be the informations about headlights, speedometer and rear fog light.

If they fit new headlights you need to send as well the invoice. Plus MOT, plus CoC.

Is your Certificate of Conformity printed on special paper with special logos and watermarks?

Rock   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 06:31pm
@Routemaster: I rang two Citroen dealers in my area to quote for the MoT and the road legal stuff (headlights and rear fog light), but neither told me that would be no problem with the rear fog light. I will check myself tomorrow if there is one or two fitted.

@Dominik: The CoC is pink in colour, and has fancy patterns on it similar to a banknote, but no watermark. It is the official Citroen Germany CoC, and is stamped and signed at the bottom as well.

One breakers yard advised me to source the headlights from Bennetts, who supply 3rd party spares for cars, and who supply direct replacements for Citroen headlights, but at 1/3 price of genuine Citroen headlights, so I will call on Monday to get their price. If it is £100 - £150 then I will go with them, as I will get an official invoice. I will then sell my German headlights on Ebay to recover some of the cost.

Thanks to those who are advising on all this.

Rock

Dominik1978   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 03:44am
plus:
- registration fee
- application form
- non-GB registration documents
- driving license (card and paper) or two other identity/address documents
- HMRC form VAT 414

Quotation from my garage letter:

"I can confirm that we inspected the above vehicle on the 15th February 2013 and fitted new headlamps to UK specification. The existing speedometer is programmed to display speed in mph. The car has dual rear fog lights fitted."

Rock   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 07:14am
Thanks again Dominik. Can you confirm that the VAT 414 form is included in the Import Forms pack?

I have just checked my Citroen and it IS fitted with dual rear fog lamps (both working fine), so it looks as if (as BigJohnD said) that the only thing the garage needs to do is to change the headlights and confirm that the speedo is set to MPH and that dual foglights are fitted.

Rock

Dominik1978   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 10:48am
I have just checked that something has changed.
There is a new form: VAT NOVA 1.

Have a look: - Click Here -

As I remember I used a form VAT 414 which was in the pack.

I believe that in the pack you get the proper form.

About the garage: yes, they only need to fit headlights and confirm speedometer and rear fog lights. Exactly the same as my case.
Rock   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 01:01pm
The first thing I did when I got back was to do the NOVA online. It was a nightmare, as they asked for all kinds of info that I didn't have, such as:

Q. Do you have the invoice/receipt when you bought the car?
Yes
Q. What is the Invoice Number?
Errr, there isn't one on the invoice!

Q. Did you pay VAT?
Yes
Q. What is the EU VAT Registration Number of the supplier?
Errr, there is VAT on the invoice, but not their VAT registration number.

However, I managed to get through it all, and finally I got a declaration sheet at the end that stated that I did not have to pay any VAT on my vehicle, and that I should take/send the declaration to DVLA in order to register the car.

So I am guessing that if there is the paper form VAT NOVA 1 in the pack, I shall just append the Declaration to it and return.

(The website says you should EITHER complete the paper form, or complete the notification online).

Rock
Dominik1978   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 04:56pm
Yes, I think it is ok. Just send them the declaration sheet.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member