or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Headlamp washers not working (not the pump or fuse)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
steely   
Wed Dec 18 2013, 10:28am
Member No: #31790
Hi, I'm having problems with the headlamp washers, they've never worked since I got the car.

I checked the pump and it had seized solid so I fitted a new pump and there's still nothing; no noise from the pump.

I know they should only work with the lights on but I can't get any life from the pump. Fuse is fine and I've put a new one in just to make sure.

I wasn't bothered about them working but now that I've paid out for a new pump I would rather get them working.

Anything else I've missed? I have a lexia adaptor and have tried activating them through that but it says it's running but there's no noise from the pump.
FakeConcern   
Wed Dec 18 2013, 11:06am
Member No: #24127
Sorry I have no advice on this, rather that mine have never worked & was thinking of getting a new pump as fuse is fine, now I may think again.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Dec 18 2013, 11:50am

Member No: #90
First things first...and assuming your pump is working...

Can you confirm year and type of VTS you have? The only reason I ask is that some of the HDi models had 'Washer' bumpers installed when the range was down spec'd. The HIDs were replaced for the standard Halogens, washers removed but the covers remained.

If it's not that, then you need to check that there are no blockages through the lines to the washers themselves. The washer heads are water pressure operated and not electrically operated.

Its not uncommon for the nozzle heads themselves becoming blocked with crud, or the feed pipes to split. You will see large puddles under the front bumper where the leaks are.

If not that(!) then it must be user error?! - Headlights ON, flick front screen wash?
steely   
Wed Dec 18 2013, 12:03pm
It's a 2005 hdi and it had a pump fitted before and @ can pull the washers out so it seems that they are there, even if the pipe was blocked or split I would be able to hear the pump, it's as if the power's not getting to the pump.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Dec 18 2013, 02:02pm

Do your windscreen washers work?
steely   
Wed Dec 18 2013, 05:27pm
Windscreen washers are working fine
CamM   
Thu Dec 19 2013, 06:26am

Member No: #19249
Assuming the pumps are powered by two separate power cables (I've never looked to know), can you swap the power cables to see whether the headlamp washer pump is actually getting power in the first place?
steely   
Thu Dec 19 2013, 10:10am
There's definitely no power getting to the pump, and I have double tested the pump to make sure it works.
FakeConcern   
Fri Dec 27 2013, 12:52pm
Any progress with this?
steely   
Sat Dec 28 2013, 03:32pm
still no luck and not worth paying an auto electrician to get it looked at
Rich_Eason   
Sun Dec 29 2013, 10:02am

steely wrote ...

It might be as it won't pass an MOT with them not working, as they are fitted they will be tested.

FakeConcern   
Sun Dec 29 2013, 12:02pm
Rich_Eason wrote ...

steely wrote ...

It might be as it won't pass an MOT with them not working, as they are fitted they will be tested.

Mine passed last 2 MOT tests not working! (but you're right it should have failed)
Do you have a wiring diagram to see if there are any junctions which could have a bad connection? I can't help feeling an auto electrician could be expensive & therefore a last resort if it fails the MOT. When is the MOT by the way?
Having said that I know I am thinking of trying to fix mine as they would be handy when roads are mucky.
routemaster1   
Sun Dec 29 2013, 12:42pm
Member No: #574
FakeConcern wrote ...

Rich_Eason wrote ...

steely wrote ...

Mine passed last 2 MOT tests not working! (but you're right it should have failed)
Do you have a wiring diagram to see if there are any junctions which could have a bad connection? I can't help feeling an auto electrician could be expensive & therefore a last resort if it fails the MOT. When is the MOT by the way?
Having said that I know I am thinking of trying to fix mine as they would be handy when roads are mucky.

Do you have xenon or halogen headlights? As headlight washers are only compulsory with xenon headlights, if it is fitted with halogens it should not fail. I don't know whether that combination headlights were ever fitted with halogens though.
FakeConcern   
Sun Dec 29 2013, 01:05pm
routemaster1 wrote ...

Do you have xenon or halogen headlights? As headlight washers are only compulsory with xenon headlights, if it is fitted with halogens it should not fail. I don't know whether that combination headlights were ever fitted with halogens though.

Yes, I have the VTS with directional Xenons, so it must have washers fitted & working for MOT (in theory!)
steely   
Sun Dec 29 2013, 01:59pm
xenons on mine as well and no problems with the last mot
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member