or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive - Car Lumpy when cold & Cruise Control failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Macsimp   
Tue Dec 03 2013, 08:45am
Member No: #14505
Hi

I have an issue with my 2006 C4 which now has 160k miles on the clock.

My problem started several months ago where on occasion shortly after driving of the car would lurch as if the engine had cut out then restarted within a split second.

I then began experiencing issues on occasion where the cruise control would fail however on stop/starting the engine the issue would not remain. If I switch to limiter however when the car reaches the speed that the limit is set to the car would be very jumpy when trying to retain the set speed.

On one occasion a few weeks ago the car also died on me when I pulled out on to a roundabout, however restarted ok.

There was also an occasion were the car would not start one morning (not turning over), however on the 3rd attempt of turning the key all was OK.

Then last week whilst driving on a motorway I lost power rapidly and dropped down to 30mph and although I was able to build my speed up slowly to 60 there was no real performance/power in the car. I pulled off at the next junction and the car died at the junction. once again however it restarted ok and performed fine after the restart.

Now when I start the car it runs very lumpy as if it's not firing properly, I allow it to idle for a minute then it seems to drive ok albeit not perfect.

I need to know if anyone has experienced this before or has any ideas where I should start with my investigations? Are all the above linked or should I be considering separate problems?
BigJohnD   
Tue Dec 03 2013, 09:37am

Member No: #82
Fuel filter?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Dec 03 2013, 10:20am

Member No: #1
Your existing thread (from August 2012 is here - Click Here - in which you failed to respond to suggestions made.........

But have covered a further 17,000 miles since in the car?
Macsimp   
Tue Dec 03 2013, 12:06pm
Sorry didn't spot that. I was told it was likely the turbo position sensor that was causing that. Someone suggested I unplug the MAF sensor which would determine if it was that, i did and any issues immediately stopped.

Then forgot to update the forum to say I had done this so apologies for that.

I see now you wrote 'Have a look at the turbo pipework joints for loose connections/leaks'.
Can I get to them with the car jacked up or do I need to get it up on Ramps.
Also can these issues be causeed by faulty glow plugs (never changed) or issues with the injectors.

Don't want to start piling to much money investigating the problem as it may not prove cost effective to resolve but would like to do what I can to see if it is financially viable to resolve.

Dave_Retired.   
Tue Dec 03 2013, 12:47pm

Glow plugs, (I would have thought) would only be an issue when starting or for the 1st couple of miles in post heat mode, not when driving.

It could be many things one being the fuel filter as BJD says, a sensor somewhere, even the old favourite, the engine bay fusebox so you should start again by having the error code log read to see what, if anything shows up.
Macsimp   
Wed Dec 04 2013, 03:20am
OK I have read the codes and here is what I have
P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit low (This will be because I have the MAF disconnected)
P113 - Intake Air Temp Sensor 1 Circuit High
P1446 - Evaporative VAC Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
Macsimp   
Wed Dec 04 2013, 03:27am
Forgot to add, I have DPF and Additive warning up so not sure if these codes relate to that in case the codes prove to be a red herring.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Dec 04 2013, 06:14am

Well you need to look at the temperature sensor and it sounds like the Eolys fluid is empty which is not surprising given the mileage

Macsimp   
Thu Dec 05 2013, 04:13am
I have the MAF unplugged at the moment due to issues with the Turbo Position Sensor, would P113 be related to that. I can plug in, reset the codes and see what comes up then. Would the MAF sensor still be causing an issue when it is unplugged?

Also the main issue I seem to have now is that the car is very poor when starting (very lumpy) however when it warms up seems to drive OK.
Macsimp   
Sat Dec 07 2013, 07:43am
Plugged the MAF back in and only code showing now is P1446.

Car would not start Saturday morning and was coming up with 'presence of water in diesel fuel filter' so following on from BigJohnD's suggestion I changed the fuel filter however car would still not turn over.

Jump started car successfully and for first 20seconds it ran a but rough however soon settled down. I did notice that for the first 2 mins of idling there was white/grey smoke coming out of the exhaust and the engine was a bit smelly.

Car drove perfectly however the strangest thing has happened. The ' depollution Filter' warning light has gone out???

Will wait to see what the next cold start brings!
BigJohnD   
Sat Dec 07 2013, 02:22pm

Member No: #82
Sounds good. Go for a motorway drive, 50+ mph for 30 min or so, get the turbo and exhaust system hot.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Dec 08 2013, 01:45am

Sounds very much the same issues as this thread: - Click Here - . if the fuel filter change doesn't prove successful.
Macsimp   
Wed Dec 11 2013, 03:37am
OK have run the car for a few days now just to make sure I have a consistant position so here is the current position.

There are no Warnings in the log to advise of any issues
There are no error codes being picked up by diagnostics using an OBD2 reader.

Car is very ropey/lumpy when started from cold (OK when restarted from warm) with white smoke coming from the exaust for first few mins.
Car runs fine when warm but does jump/stutter occasionally

Questions I need considered
  • Could this be a problem with my injectors (blocked or damaged). I have a bottle of cleaner which I will put in the tank when I next fill up. Is there a way of testing if the injectors have an issue?
  • Without the presence of codes determining an issue is there any thing else I should be considering might be at fault.
  • Is there any better diagnostic tools that a garage should have that could determine the fault and if so does this need to be a main dealer that I take it to.
  • It would be good to avoid an expensive diagnosis as I need to consider the value of any potential repair and if it will be worth while.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Dec 11 2013, 04:11am

White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly.

The smoke will burn your eyes.

* Engine/pump timing out
* Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
* Low engine compression
* Water/petrol in the fuel

This time of year I would always look at the fuel filter 1st to ensure it's clean and there is no water in the system
Macsimp   
Wed Dec 11 2013, 09:02am
I did clean out the fuel filter housing completly and replaced the filter so there should be no water unless there is some in the tank.

With regards to
* Engine/pump timing out
* Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly

Is there any way of testing this to find where the fault lies

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member