or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Towing :: C4 Towing, roof bars, bicycle carriers and roof boxes

C4 Picasso boot-mounted bike rack

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
FrankBullitt   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 07:09am

Member No: #19238
I've searched the threads and I'm fairly confident you can't fit a boot-mounted bike rack to a C4 Picasso (5 seater, not the Grand)...but...

The other day a C4P came past me as I stood waiting to cross the road and it had a bike rack on the back, complete with straps over the rear spoiler. I went home nad had a good dig around the top of the car and it does seem to me this plastic spoiler is attached to the top of the glass tailgate; there's nothing substantial to hold this in-place, certainly not the weight of a bike. So, is there something within the spioler that is substantial and therefore the straps are fine but in the right place or is there a silver C4P VTR+ in Bedfordshire that's about to have its rear spoiler ripped-off?!?

I don't really fancy buying a roof-rack and all the parafanalia for bike racks or going down the route of a towbar which seems to be about £450... I already have a boot-mounted rack but it's been unused for over 6 years as my other car, an Audi A2, can't use it either!

All advice greatly received.
BigJohnD   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 07:59am

Member No: #82
FrankBullitt wrote ...

I've searched the threads and I'm fairly confident you can't fit a boot-mounted bike rack to a C4 Picasso (5 seater, not the Grand)...but...

Citroën Accessories do 2 styles of bike rack for the C4 Pic from Thule. This is the cheaper model, and the photo's not quite correct as the rack only holds 2 bikes, so you'd need to investigate further. More info here: - Click Here -

Hoipoloi   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 08:16am
Member No: #6006
FrankBullitt wrote ...

I don't really fancy buying a roof-rack and all the parafanalia for bike racks or going down the route of a towbar which seems to be about £450...

And the Citroen job above is towbar mounted yes?
neilos   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 08:30am
Member No: #209
At £63 quid its a bargain if its a towball mounted one!
BigJohnD   
Mon Jan 23 2012, 09:43am

Hoipoloi wrote ...

And the Citroen job above is towbar mounted yes?

Looks like it - see here: - Click Here -
And it's only £52.25.

You just need to check it's OK on the C4 Pic.
FrankBullitt   
Tue Jan 24 2012, 07:32am

The picture doesn't seem to show a tow bar on that C3Picasso, but then it also shows three bikes and the description references two!

Don't fancy the roof-rack for my trips to France really, nor buying a tow-bar but can't see how I am going to avoid it.

The car I saw definately had a typical boot-mounted carrier, with straps over the top.
BigJohnD   
Tue Jan 24 2012, 08:15am

FrankBullitt wrote ...

The picture doesn't seem to show a tow bar on that C3Picasso, but then it also shows three bikes and the description references two!

It's not the correct picture. Here's a better one, and looking closely, shows the rack sitting on the tow ball and two bikes.

Look under C4 Picasso -> Comfort and Leisure, and it's the same part number, 961508, but this time selling for under €50 (approx £42) + delivery from France.
Ivan_C4P   
Sun Feb 05 2012, 06:02am
Member No: #16480
Inspired by JonM's mounting of his bike carrier (and actually have some spare time in the daylight), I thought I'd have a go at mounting my carrier. I've used it on several cars (lastly the C3 Picasso) but had thought it wouldn't work on the C4 Picasso because of the spoiler.

Seeing JonM's pictures, with the upper straps passing under the spoiler, I had a good look at how I could also do that. Mine is an Exclusive, with the separately opening tailgate window. Opening that part, I could see where I could pass the strap through so that it would hook onto the main tailgate metalwork but pass over the glass and under the spoiler:

The straps can be fed from the inside, feeding up and through the slight gap under the spoiler. This is what the carrier looks like with fully attached:

So roll on the summer

Ivan.
3 User said Thank You to Ivan_C4P for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (05 Feb 2012 : 06:10) , Rubberquackie (12 Apr 2014 : 07:00) , srutstein (04 Apr 2016 : 06:49)
JonM   
Sun Feb 05 2012, 06:29am
Member No: #211
Ivan - can't take all the credit for this,
Esther came up with that idea of the upper straps passing under the spoiler

Looks good mate - especially in white

Jon

FrankBullitt   
Sun Feb 05 2012, 04:06pm

Ivan, that is wonderful - superb pictures too, they paint a thousand words! That's the same bike rack we have so once this snow goes, I'll be having a root-around the back of our car (without the lifting boot glass) to see how it fits.

Well chuffed.
Ivan_C4P   
Tue Feb 07 2012, 12:46pm
Member No: #16480
Frank,
I had to carefully choose the points where I threaded the straps through. The hex bolts that attach the spoiler to the glass got in the way (you can see one on the first picture). The glass is quite thick and profiles around those areas. It might be easier on yours.
Ivan.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member