or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Maintenance Tips ALL variant C4 C4 Picasso and DS4 :: Maintenance and Repair Tips and Procedures.

A new glove box repair procedure.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Zedd   
Wed Aug 07 2013, 05:58am
Member No: #19214
Good day Folks

I have recently just broken my glove box latch for the second time. This can get expensive replacing all the time and only to end up with the same "poor quality product"

In addition when I tried to pry the cover open I ended up damaging the "left over" of the latch that were still in the cover, making the surfaces un-matching or fitting against each other any more.

Repairing seemed almost impossible, ----- until I had an idea.

What follows here is a new repair process for the glove box problem, that involves totally solidifying it.

I can confirm, its so strong that if I have to try pulling it now I will most probably deploy the passenger air bag....

Here goes!!!

Firstly we remove the glove box cover and then split the two halves apart with a knife screwdriver etc. Taking care not to create any further damage, work it gently around only forcing it a little at a time.

Once this is done remove the broken piece of the latch and get some good quality super glue, I find we have Qbond here in South Africa that works about best.
Also get some bicarbonate of soda that is used for baking bread, cakes etc.

Now we try our best to re-align the surfaces, cementing the two parts together with pvc weld. You might need to temporarily shim them with some foreign objects in order to preserve perfect alignment, I used a screw.

Then we stick paper tape / masking tape to cover the holes in order to prevent the bicarbonate of soda from falling out once we fill the latch.

Fill the gap between the pvc ribs with the bicarbonate of soda.

Drip in the super glue giving it a proper soaking but be very careful of spilling onto the rest of the latch, It doesn't wipe off easy.

Leave to dry for a minute or so, the reaction is very fast, and might get slightly hot.

Turn the latch over and do the same on the other side.

All excess material can be filed off.

I filled the latch in a few steps not all at once, because the hot reaction of the glue with the soda, mine caused smoke during the reaction. And during the processes somewhere, removed the screw and pulled off the tape.

Refit latch back into cover and apply pvc weld on all the pieces on the inside of the cover that show the marks where it came loose from the prying apart process.
Stick the two halves together again, cliping them together.

Alow to dry 24 hours and refit cover back into glovebox.

You are done!!!!
7 User said Thank You to Zedd for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (07 Aug 2013 : 07:08) , Biohead (07 Aug 2013 : 07:44) , Ham (07 Aug 2013 : 10:06) , wilcovh (07 Aug 2013 : 13:50) , Dave.y (19 Jul 2016 : 08:49) , mercury (09 Jul 2017 : 06:24) , Ronin (24 Mar 2021 : 12:32)
Zedd   
Fri Aug 16 2013, 07:46am
Good day Folks

I was thinking, perhaps it will be a good idea to do this procedure before the latch breaks as a preventative measure.
It will be far easier then having to align the two parts later.

Just a thought!

Zedd
1 User said Thank You to Zedd for this Post :
 mshowells78 (16 Aug 2013 : 10:31)
pmishev   
Sat Jul 19 2014, 09:01am
Member No: #36522
Great advice about the soda! It's indeed super strong.
I tried to do the procedure without separating the two halves of the lid though - I took out the handle, glued it, but it seems impossible to put it back in now.

Looks like I'll have to separate the lid after all, but it seems welded and definitely not meant to be taken apart. I'm afraid if I break it open, I won't be able to put it back together.
What is this pvc weld that you mention? Did you use it to glue the parts back together? Where can I get it from?
Zedd   
Wed Oct 15 2014, 04:12am
pmishev wrote ...

Great advice about the soda! It's indeed super strong.
I tried to do the procedure without separating the two halves of the lid though - I took out the handle, glued it, but it seems impossible to put it back in now.

Looks like I'll have to separate the lid after all, but it seems welded and definitely not meant to be taken apart. I'm afraid if I break it open, I won't be able to put it back together.
What is this pvc weld that you mention? Did you use it to glue the parts back together? Where can I get it from?

Hi guess by now you are most probably done with this, but to answer your question "PVC Weld" is a pvc glue sold in South Africa.
Another glue which I found to work well is contact adhesive.

On the splitting of the cover, seems that it was done by melting the ribs inside the cover, it splits on the melted joints quite easily.

Cheers

Zedd
DeuxChevaux   
Thu Oct 16 2014, 02:30am
Member No: #16472
Try a plumbers - PVC weld is used to join waste pipes made in plastic

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member