Login   
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Car won't start

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
steverhysjenks   
Sun Aug 04 2013, 09:47AM
Member No: #19847
Hi,

Hope you help and I have tried searching and cannot find any concrete answers.

Car has been absolutely fine until today. Drove down from South Wales to Hampshire last night and noticed I had a blown bulb.

So today.....

1. Unlocked the car with key fob to open bonnet.
2. Changed bulb
3. Go to start car and it won't start. The starter is going but engine won't turn over there is not even an attempt to turn over.

Symptoms.....

a. I cannot lock or unlock the car using the key fob.
b. I can lock the car manually using the key in the passenger door.
c. When turn the key into ignition, the speedo symbols light. The Rev counter sometimes flashes briefly once and goes off. The info panel by the radio does not light up.
d. When the key is in the ignition position, the windows and lights do not operate.

I thought it might have been the key battery and have changed it and tried the key re-sync and the car still will not start.

So I am at a loss as the next things to check. Look forward to responses as I'm hoping for a simple fix considering the car has just been fine.

Could the car have tripped into immobiliser mode? I have no idea what that represents itself in the car and there no error messages on the dash either.

It's a 2005 1.6HDi C4 Coupe (no mods)
Hoipoloi   
Sun Aug 04 2013, 10:53AM
Member No: #6006
Sounds like the car battery is flat or the battery or earth connections are loose/corroded.
steverhysjenks   
Sun Aug 04 2013, 03:07PM
Hoipoloi wrote ...

Sounds like the car battery is flat or the battery or earth connections are loose/corroded.

I don't believe the battery is dead as I get interior lights and the symbols on the dash light.

I can't get at the neg battery connection right now but I have disconnected the positive and reconnected it and there is no change.

Any body else for suggestions.
fifethebay   
Sun Aug 04 2013, 04:30PM
Member No: #25599
Have you tried a volt meter on battery? also do get someone to try start car while you check meter, as your battery can read high voltage but its best to check what it says on turn over or in your case when trying. This will give a better idea of batteries condition.

BigJohnD   
Sun Aug 04 2013, 04:31PM

Member No: #82
steverhysjenks wrote ...

3. Go to start car and it won't start. The starter is going but engine won't turn over there is not even an attempt to turn over.

I'm not sure I understand.

The starter is turning but the engine is not?
Website
Hoipoloi   
Sun Aug 04 2013, 04:56PM
Member No: #6006
Turn the headlights on, crank the starter. If the headlights dim considerably then it's the battery or it's connections at fault.

A battery able to power the interior lights, or even the headlights (which take far more power to work) can still be too flat to crank the engine.

Alternatively:

On an old Bendix type starter motor you would get the same problem when the starter wouldn't turn fast enough to throw the bendix out and engage with the flywheel ring gear.

On your starter which is a pre-engaged one, there may be a problem with the solenoid that pushes the starter gear onto the flywheel. In which case you would hear the starter rotating but the engine not turning over.

So, if the headlights dim in the first test then you are probably looking at a battery. If you hear the starter actually rotating then you will be looking to replace the starter (unless you are lucky enough to find somewhere to re-condition it).
steverhysjenks   
Mon Aug 05 2013, 03:26AM
Hoipoloi wrote ...

Turn the headlights on, crank the starter. If the headlights dim considerably then it's the battery or it's connections at fault.

A battery able to power the interior lights, or even the headlights (which take far more power to work) can still be too flat to crank the engine.

Alternatively:

On an old Bendix type starter motor you would get the same problem when the starter wouldn't turn fast enough to throw the bendix out and engage with the flywheel ring gear.

On your starter which is a pre-engaged one, there may be a problem with the solenoid that pushes the starter gear onto the flywheel. In which case you would hear the starter rotating but the engine not turning over.

So, if the headlights dim in the first test then you are probably looking at a battery. If you hear the starter actually rotating then you will be looking to replace the starter (unless you are lucky enough to find somewhere to re-condition it).

Update.....

Checked fuses this morning and had a blown 10 amp fuse. Swapped this out and the car starts all be it in economy mode.

Now for a bit more forum searching unless someone knows a direct link to get out economy mode?
C6 Dave   
Mon Aug 05 2013, 03:29AM

Member No: #1
Just click on economy mode
Website
1 User said Thank You to C6 Dave for this Post :
 steverhysjenks (05 Aug 2013 : 04:10)
steverhysjenks   
Mon Aug 05 2013, 04:11AM
Sorted that now, car switched over to normal mode by itself.

So all down to 10 amp fuse.

Spare fuses in the car for next time..... just in case
BigJohnD   
Mon Aug 05 2013, 07:22AM

Member No: #82
steverhysjenks wrote ...

the car starts all be it in economy mode.

That's essentially a battery protection system, though most people see it as a nuisance.

If it appears every time the car is started, then the battery is below par.
It it doesn't appear when restarting after say 30 minutes driving, then your battery is OK.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member

Render time: 0.6251 sec, 0.1371 of that for queries. DB queries: 179.