or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Engine stalls at full throttle. 1.6 HDi EGS 2007

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
cromaturbo   
Tue Jun 18 2013, 02:37am
Member No: #27881
When accelerating full the engine starts to sound different after approx. 10 seconds and then stops. It wont restart at all unless you prime with the blatter pump and use start gas.

It takes a lot of priming (several attempts with massive pumping for several minutes) and a splashing sound is heard from fuel filter. There is obviously some kind of air leak in to the fuel line. So the question is why does it leak?

Is there a lifting fuel pump in the tank that doesent work. Why only at full throttle? Any suggestions?

Thanks
cromaturbo   
Tue Jun 18 2013, 02:40am
Fuel filter was changed after last failure. The problem occured again the weekend after.

Fault codes
P0087 Fuel pressure to low
p0093 Pressure valve doesn't open enough (or something similar)
1 User said Thank You to cromaturbo for this Post :
 wgphi (05 Jan 2022 : 10:49)
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jun 18 2013, 03:01am

Member No: #1
P0087 previous posts: - Click Here -

P0093 Previous posts: - Click Here -
cromaturbo   
Tue Jun 18 2013, 03:20am
Thanks Dave,

Ive read most of them but why is there air in the fuel system? Splashing sound when primed leads me to belive that. Can anyone confirm if there is a lifting pump in the tank? Is there an inspection hatch above the tank in a grand picasso or is it necessaty to take the tank down to check for a lifting pump?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jun 18 2013, 06:43am

No pump in the tank and the only filter is the one at the engine
tomandjo2   
Tue Jun 18 2013, 08:11am
Member No: #20851
Firstly was the fuel filter DEFINATELY changed (does it look new) also check hoses etc have been refitted ok and not damaged.

Secondly after primming does filter still 'slosh'

Thirdly it is possible there is a blockage before the filter which in turn creates low pressure between filter and pump which may cause the fuel or any water in the filter/fuel to 'boil' thus turning liquid into gas. (just a guess) If you can think back to your physics lesson at school boiling water at room temperature.

Tom
rafiki   
Tue Jun 18 2013, 08:39am
Member No: #17435
While primming using hand pump above the engine, open fuel cap to allow air to enter into tank.

On fuel (diesel) filter itself there is a screw on top that is used to release water out of filter. Check if that screw is closed tight.

BR
cromaturbo   
Wed Jun 19 2013, 02:49am
tomandjo2 wrote ...

Firstly was the fuel filter DEFINATELY changed (does it look new) also check hoses etc have been refitted ok and not damaged.

Secondly after primming does filter still 'slosh'

Thirdly it is possible there is a blockage before the filter which in turn creates low pressure between filter and pump which may cause the fuel or any water in the filter/fuel to 'boil' thus turning liquid into gas. (just a guess) If you can think back to your physics lesson at school boiling water at room temperature.

Tom

1. I changed the filter myself.

2. I havent checked

3. There might be a problem with the fuel line. Is it possible to blow compressed air from filter back to tank without damaging anything? How about tank ventilation is there any valve there or is it possible to blow that way?

/Thanks
cromaturbo   
Wed Jun 19 2013, 03:07am
rafiki wrote ...

While primming using hand pump above the engine, open fuel cap to allow air to enter into tank.

On fuel (diesel) filter itself there is a screw on top that is used to release water out of filter. Check if that screw is closed tight.

BR

Thanks I will check that screw.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jun 19 2013, 04:02am

cromaturbo wrote ...

3. There might be a problem with the fuel line. Is it possible to blow compressed air from filter back to tank without damaging anything? How about tank ventilation is there any valve there or is it possible to blow that way?

/Thanks

NO the fuel return is via the charcoal canister container and valve under the right hand side wheel arch looking from the back of the car and there is a fuel return cooling radiator under the car so you stand a chance of damaging both and ending up with a large repair bill
Mr Fixit   
Wed Jun 19 2013, 05:07am
On my Exantia I had the same problem, I removed the in-tank pump and the top connection had gone hard so was not sealing fully allowing air to be pulled through. New pump fitted problem was solved.
cromaturbo   
Wed Jun 19 2013, 07:26am
Thanks Dave and fixit. Do you know if there is a service hatch to the tank or do i need to mount the whole tank down?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member