or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Problems and issues

Fuse box! What Fuse Box?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
BigJohnD   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 11:18am

Member No: #82
The cigarette lighter and the power socket in the boot have both failed.

So, check the fuses.

I get out the handbook, and here it is.

So it's F13 and F14, both 10A, and it's the fuse box in the glove box. The two red ones, half way down on the left. Fine.

Here's the glovebox - complete with fusebox logo on the front:

Here's the little tool for pulling out the fuse - this is going to be a doddle!

Hmm... I see no fuses.

So aftermuch head scratching, and even looking at the fusebox under the bonnet, where there are no fuses marked F13 and F14, I give up the DIY route.

It's Saturday morning about 11:30, but what the hell, ring the dealer. After being handed around for 10 minutes I eventually got through to the Citroën Service desk. I explain the front and rear power sockets aren't working, and the of the receptionist says it'll be the fuse in the glovebox, replace it. I tell her there's no fuses in the glove box "fusebox". This is now getting silly, and eventually she says that their technician will check for me.

A few minutes later, I'm told it's F13 and F14 in the glove box. I tell her that's what the handbox says, but there's no fuses in the golvebox. Did the technician read the book or look at a similar C4?

I then ask if I can book in for Tuesday for it to be sorted. No, they're fully booked for at least a week. After some haggling, I eventually agree with them that the technician will spend a few minutes showing me where fuses F13 and F14 are, and I'll take responsibility for changing them. So I'm calling in on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, as I'm driving along, there's a proper Citroën dealer on the roadside! So I call in. It's 12 noon and the technicians have gone home. After a very similar discussion, I persuade the receptionist to a least agree with me there's no fuses in the fusebox and I'm not a loony.

He comes out, thinking I'm loony.

He does exactly what I'd done, and after 10 minutes of messing about, says: "We'll have to drop yer dashboard!" No thanks. I left in disgust.

Meanwhile, no satnav nor cool box, and I'm off to France in a couple of days.

So does anyone know where the fuses for the power sockets are on a 2010 VTR+ 90HDi manual? Could be a bottle of best Château Carrefour in it!
FrankBullitt   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 11:39am

Member No: #19238
Do you need to remove the connectors first?

That does look, at first sight, like a couple of fuses (grey...light blue perhaps) in a green holder in your last picture underneath the right hand side of the yellow connector.

Worth a try, I would have thought!

If I'm right, happy to meet up in France for the plonk as we are going on Friday
BigJohnD   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 12:43pm

I did think that but a) wondered why the handbook didn't indicate anything like that and b) I wasn't sure I'd put it all back correctly and become stranded as I was in North Wales!

I'm visiting the dealer in Chester tomorrow, so hopefully all will be resolved.

I can't remember which day we're crossing to France - Sunday I think. And back after three nights in Normandy.
Rich_Eason   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 03:34pm

Member No: #90
Really stupid thought...there isn't a fuse box on the driver's side?...e.g footwell?
FrankBullitt   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 04:16pm

Member No: #19238
BigJohnD wrote ...

I can't remember which day we're crossing to France - Sunday I think. And back after three nights in Normandy.

We're off to the Vendee on Friday, can't wait - love Normandy though, one of my favourite parts of the world, May 2014 we will be back in the run up to the 70th anniversary.

I suspect those connectors are to the right of the fuse box on LHD cars, where the small UK glovebox is.
Tony Carter   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 04:21pm
Member No: #1355
John, I have an EGS (2012) C4 and I have just had a look (with the aid of a bright torch) through the slots above the yellow and blue connectors. I was able to see some fuses, but it looks as though the glove box interior needs to come out to access them.
pclark   
Tue Jun 11 2013, 02:50am
Member No: #12537
John I blew the same fuses on my DS4 some time ago and had exactly the same experience as you on opening the fuse box. I assume the C4 hatch is the same as the DS4 in this respect as the dashboard is the same.

The fuses are there on mine but buried so deeply behind the wiring and connectors that access is very difficult.

I managed to change the fuses with a lot of fiddling and a pair of long nose pliers. It may make it easier if the glove box is removed.

It's an example of poor right hand drive conversion as of course the fuse box would be on the driver's side on a left hand drive car.
2 User said Thank You to pclark for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (11 Jun 2013 : 05:38) , BigJohnD (11 Jun 2013 : 18:16)
BigJohnD   
Tue Jun 11 2013, 03:19am

pclark wrote ...

It may make it easier if the glove box is removed.

Ouch!

I'm off to Citroen in a mo and no doubt they'll confirm what you say.

Did you just grope about behind the large connectors or remove them? Can they be easily unlocked and unplugged?
pclark   
Tue Jun 11 2013, 08:05am
Member No: #12537
I managed to grope between the connectors and wires. I didn't disconnect anything.
1 User said Thank You to pclark for this Post :
 BigJohnD (11 Jun 2013 : 18:16)
Grumpy GrandPa   
Tue Jun 11 2013, 03:01pm
Member No: #10746
?? Looks like purple fuses on the green fuseboard behind all those wires in your final photo???

Looong thiiin fingers time.
BigJohnD   
Tue Jun 11 2013, 06:15pm

First of all, thanks to PClark - the fuses are indeed hidden behind a complete bird's nest of wires, some of which need to be very firmly pushed aside, and with the help of a small torch and very long-nosed pliers the fuse can be removed.

The visit to the dealer was successful but the service manager took a bit of convincing that a) the fuses were at best hidden and b) the failure of the power socket was not a blown fuse!

After the "just pull the fuse out and replace it" game, I asked the service manager to identify the fuse and I'd do the rest.

Eventually he realised that they were well hidden, and then went off to check which fuse it was on the computer. About 10 minutes later he came out and said "it's not the same as C4 Picasso" and disappeared again for ten minutes. He re-appeared with the longest long-nosed pliers I've ever seen other than Holby City.

He pulled out a 10A fuse, but claimed he couldn't tell if it was blown or not. I looked and it was. I then supplied a new 10A (mini) fuse which he put it.

We tested the cigarette lighter and it worked. And then I tested the one in the boot with the SatNav, and that worked. So there's one fuse for them both. The service manager said he'd never had to change fuse on a new C4 (ours is 2½ years old!) and he'd learnt something. And there was no charge.

So all is well, but I can't say I'm impressed the C4's glovebox fuse box nor the level of knowledge of dealer service.

But, as is often the case, a C4 owner had the answer!

We're off on holiday now, with SatNav and coolbox - and won't be slamming the boot again!
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 CamM (12 Jun 2013 : 06:41)
riven1962   
Wed Jun 12 2013, 01:39am
Member No: #18905
Enjoy your hol's John.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jun 12 2013, 01:43am

Member No: #1
BigJohnD wrote ...

................But, as is often the case, a C4 owner had the answer!

We're off on holiday now, with SatNav and coolbox - and won't be slamming the boot again!

If you pass an auto jumble/steam fair on your travels have a look on the tool stalls for a pair of those pliers John. Hopefully you'll never need them but........
BigJohnD   
Wed Jun 12 2013, 02:48am

C6 Dave wrote ...

If you pass an auto jumble/steam fair on your travels have a look on the tool stalls for a pair of those pliers John. Hopefully you'll never need them but........

I sense a small task at the Classic Car Show coming on!
CamM   
Wed Jun 12 2013, 06:42am

Member No: #19249
Great outcome John! Enjoy the trip
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member