or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Help identifying part/item

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
fifethebay   
Wed Mar 27 2013, 10:28am
Member No: #25599
Hello, looking for help identifying item/part.

I have a C4GP 1.6 petrol on a 09 plate. Around 2/3 mins of driving from cold radiator fan comes on. A day or so after this started I have a anti pollution fault. With car missing/juddering.

My initial idea was a faulty temperature sender/sensor for radiator. Now I believe thermostat is at back off engine, so I followed top radiator hose and found this to go into a "Multi hose area" at the side of engine and on top of this there was low and behold a sensor with two wires going to it. This did indeed have white/yellowish dried residue around it and down block. I took the wire plug out this was wet inside. I dried out and refitted. Low and behold no anti pollution fault and very little missing/juddering while driving (1 hour run). Then on a later run anti pollution back and radiator fan on very quickly.

So can anyone help with what the sensor thing is? Or is it in fact the temperature switch?

Also excuse my ignorance but would the fan being on (engine management thinking car hot) cause the other missing problem?

I have tried a search but as I'm unsure what it is I'm a bit lost.

Thanks
fifethebay   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 06:26am
Got this sorted.
BigJohnD   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 06:38am

Member No: #82
fifethebay wrote ...

Got this sorted.

How? What did you do?
fifethebay   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 09:17am
Well.
After buying a generic fault code reader as it all I could get hands on quickly. This I think was a waste as did not Show a code but maybe user error?

A bit of investigating on e bay at what sensors are like for model (not very reliable I know as picture not always for make model) however I was satisfied that it was indeed a temperature sensor. So I again disconnected and dried with same result (fan not coming on no sign of anti pollution but I had disconnected car battery so this maybe why?

I left things ticking over for half hour no fan on (be careful I did take a risk as it could overheat, would not want anyone copying me if not know the risks).

I did notice it a little lumpy still so I took it out for a wee test drive and was still missing but at a less noticeable rate. I then was lucky here as a garage local to me had a coil pack? In for a comparable model (again I know the owner well and was trusting in his help, would not suggest you go trying on parts not sure of). This was tested last night and today-no anti pollution fault back YET.

So I have ordered new parts from Citroen they confirmed sensor was a temperature sensor (coil pack £33.34 and a sensor is £24.98 both inclusive of VAT).

I will let you know if the anti pollution comes back/stays off. I did wonder if the fan being on all time if this having a effect on coil pack fault anti pollution due to it looks like original item?
1 User said Thank You to fifethebay for this Post :
 BigJohnD (28 Mar 2013 : 10:25)
BigJohnD   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 10:25am

Member No: #82
fifethebay wrote ...

I did wonder if the fan being on all time if this having a effect on coil pack fault anti pollution due to it looks like original item?

A dodgy coil pack can certainly trigger an antipollution error message.
fifethebay   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 01:17pm
It would seem so. Could the faulty coil pack seem worse with the fan running? Maybe from high drain of the fan? The fan on the Grand Picasso is very very noisy so I assume it has a high draw rate.
cunny678   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 10:01am
Member No: #24935
I have a 58 plate 1.6 petrol and had the same fault shortly after I bought it. Same as you, faulty sensor which although not expensive was replaced under the aftermarket warranty I purchased.

I don't think there are many of us with the older 1.6 petrol unit! How are you doing for MPG?
fifethebay   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 10:29am
I'm not one for looking much at what it's using to be honest. I fill it to top and drive till warning then fill again. It seems that around town it averages around 32.5 mpg. I do trips down to York from scotland and have seen it average 50 mpg but it was a slow drive to see what it would do.
I had no hopes of any thing great with the cars mpg, at the end of the day there a big car. I did want a diesel to start but with help from site info made a early note to stay clear, to many short trips and the worry of turbo failure on top stopped the want for me. I started looking then at the 2.0 litre but at time where all older that the one I ended up with. All the petrols seem harder to come by.

Back to the sensor I am told by my local dealer that it is quiet a common failure on them. After the problem with the sensor I decided to get the garage to look at the car in regards to service items. As part of the purchase I had requested a full major service (35000 on clock around) and was told at the time it was done. The dealer has given me a report saying only oil looks like it was changed (car on 41123 now) I had them change air filter and plugs during work on car. So I am just wondering what if anything I should do about that.

How do you find the power to weight on yours cunny678? I was surprised when first driven, they seem ok. It is never going to break any records but nippy enough.
cunny678   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 01:33pm
Member No: #24935
It's funny but all the cars I test drove before I bought mine seem to average about 32 mpg long term on the trip. I have done about 6k in mine since we bought it 10 months ago and our average is 32

Don't seem to get much more on a longish motorway trip at 70mph. We went to lakes a few months ago with 4 adults, two kids and a massive roof box and averaged about 34. Six of us + roof box going down to Cornwall for the week next month, so if I get mid 30's I will be happy.

I think the power is just fine considering its not a diesel. You have to use the gears a bit and the engine noise isn't as sweet as some other petrol cars I have had but its fine. I know on paper the torque figures don't looks great but it pulls from 40mph in top just fine.
fifethebay   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 05:23pm
I find on motorway you need to stay around 65mph to get any good figures. In general tho I am very happy.

Would have lied some of the toys on exclusive but getting a petrol one at time was just to hard, and after all the potential EGS issues that could come along I think the petrol manual was by far the safest option.

I am looking into fitting some of the toys, sat nav, folding mirrows and auto lights. However getting the second hand parts is hard. I also am looking into options with lexia due to the things I would like to add. I also am buying bits to add DVD system for the kids. As the model gets older things should improve with second hand parts.

The forum is also great with help and reference for things. I keep saying it but need to sort out premier membership just so I can repay all help I have already had.
mooresey   
Sun Oct 23 2022, 05:54am
Member No: #18464
Hi I have just bought a c4 picasso 63 reg and in the cubby hole with the sliding lid I found a part, and I don’t know what it is, even with a Google search. The part has the following numbers on it.

PSA 9805649372
FCIA 041141
M4694

Anyone have any idea?
Keith   
Sun Oct 23 2022, 11:38am
Member No: #25323
Any chance of a picture?
mooresey   
Sun Oct 23 2022, 12:36pm
I will fetch it out tomorrow and take a picture
mooresey   
Tue Oct 25 2022, 12:05pm
How do I add photos from an iPad?

Keith   
Tue Oct 25 2022, 01:49pm
Member No: #25323
You need something like this which is free - Click Here - load your picture in there and there are options to enable you to load it to websites and forums etc. Use the BBCode for message boards and forums. Copy it and paste it in.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member