or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Towing :: C4 Towing, roof bars, bicycle carriers and roof boxes

New C4 2011 Hatchback - Towbar Bike Carrier

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
mr.casa   
Sat Jan 12 2013, 01:27pm
Member No: #28902
Hello everybody.
I've bought a NEW C4 1.6 HDi Elegance manufactured in August 2011 without tow bar fitted.

I'd like to buy a bike carrier like the one in the attached pictures which fits on the tow bar, since I want to avoid any roof-mounted carriers.

On citroen-accesories.com I've seen three different tow bars which also have remarkably different prices (9427.C4, .C5, .C6).
On accessories.citroen.com (French) I've seen two other models (9427.CL, .CN).

Can anybody help me with information about the characteristics and usage of the different tow bars?
Which one(s) fit(s) that Thule bike carrier?
Anyone has experienced other bike carrier models?

Thanks

Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jan 13 2013, 03:30am

Member No: #1
If it's a Tow Bar mounted carrier surely it won't matter which to bar is on the car as the tow ball should be in the same position whichever dedicated C4 Tow bar is used surely?
mishmosh   
Sun Jan 13 2013, 02:29pm
Member No: #25486
any Thule will fit any Towbar basically. They are excellent carriers and will carry from 2 to 4 bikes. The detachable is the neatest solution though. Shop around for the carrier, they vary hugely as Thule update and upgrade often. We have an easy base, which is a bit too heavy, but very good.
Scoops   
Mon Jan 14 2013, 10:26am
Member No: #4366
Hi there, I've just had a swan neck tow bar fitted to my new car with single electrics £249 all in and they came to me!. I shall be using it mainly for the very same bike pictured above. In a word, they are brilliant! It's probably the best thing I have ever bought for my bikes. I got mine for £60 of ebay purely cos the guy did'nt know what he was selling and it had some slight damage. It's easily a £300+ rack!!

As someone who works for British Cycling and I'm a cycle instructor, my bikes are always being carried around. I've tried in, on the roof, on a hatch mounted rack but the tow ball option is by far the best.

Shop around. Thule are very good quality but expensive. If you are in or near London, this week there is the London Bike Show at Excel and I'm sure there will be various people selling racks there. The nice thing with that rack is that it will hold 3 or 4 bikes if needed, it locks to the car, the bikes are locked to the rack and it tilts so the rear hatch is still accessible! It's a no brainer - do it!

FrankBullitt   
Mon Jul 28 2014, 11:14am

Member No: #19238
Talking towbars Scoops, who did you go to for yours as you aren't that far from me?
Scoops   
Mon Jul 28 2014, 11:27am
Member No: #4366
Try 1st Choice Windscreens in Bletchley. They do windscreens, and tow bars!
Ham   
Sat Aug 02 2014, 02:43pm

Member No: #69
Heres a photo of my VTS with a Thule 3 bike rack on.
I used to have them on the roof, but the tow bar rack is so much better.

Dave_Retired.   
Sun Aug 03 2014, 01:39am

Member No: #1
Only thing to watch with that setup is the weight of the bikes as they will tend to make the back of the car go down and the steering become lighter if your not careful. Unlike a trailer where you can adjust the noseweight.

BTW nice to see you still have the VTS Jamie
routemaster1   
Sun Aug 03 2014, 02:48am
Member No: #574
It's not just the weight. The faster you go, the more the steering will lighten due to the wind resistance and the turning moment. You don't have the same issue with them fitted on the roof, but the resistance will be even greater.
Ham   
Mon Aug 04 2014, 03:25pm

Member No: #69
C6 Dave wrote ...

Only thing to watch with that setup is the weight of the bikes as they will tend to make the back of the car go down and the steering become lighter if your not careful. Unlike a trailer where you can adjust the noseweight.

BTW nice to see you still have the VTS Jamie

Cheers Dave, still just short of 62k miles.
It does ride ok with the bikes on the tow ball and hardly seams to lift front end and all three bikes add up to just short of 40kg

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member