or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

Heavy Duty Rear Springs - Grounding

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gmerry   
Fri Dec 14 2012, 12:40pm
Member No: #11625
Hi all, recently when carrying 4 adults and a small amount of luggage, the rear of the C4 B7 5 door is grounding out - even when manoeuvring into a parking slot. The rear mudflaps seem to get the worst of it.
Does anyone else have this problem?

I would like to fit some heavy duty rear springs, unless its just down to sagging springs on a 3 month old car (unlikely).

Citroen duty seem to offer part number 5102W3. Any idea what increase in spring rate these offer over standard? Do Monroe offer any heavy springs? Would springs from the 1st gen C4 or Picasso fit the B7?

Regards
G
barrie   
Fri Dec 14 2012, 01:31pm
Hi G
Why not put a set of caravan support balls in your rear springs?
So when driving one or two up it would just be normal but put more weight in the back and the balls take up the pressure.
It's just a thought.

Barrie
BigJohnD   
Fri Dec 14 2012, 02:15pm

Member No: #82
Part number 5210W3 is the rear spring for the B7 C4 with a spare wheel, as distinct from 5201W2 which is for the model without the spare wheel.

I wouldn't have thought carrying a spare wheel, weighing say 25kg max, warranted classifying it as a heavy duty spring. A full boot could easily be well over 50kg (2 suitcases = 40kg) and the average person is likely to be 75kg or more.

Barrie's idea has more merit.
Rich_Eason   
Sat Dec 15 2012, 11:20am

Member No: #90
Could be more of a ground clearance/ride height issue if the wheel is slung underneath?
BigJohnD   
Sat Dec 15 2012, 01:30pm

Member No: #82
The wheel sits in a well in the boot, so it's not a clearance issue like on the GPic.
gmerry   
Sun Dec 16 2012, 04:38pm
Hi Barrie and Big John thanks for replies. Any idea where to get the towing ball things.

I checked out part numbers for the rear springs and it looks as though Pug 307, C4 (original) and C4 (B7) all are dimensionally interchangeable. it's just a matter of picking one with the right spring rate. Also Bilstein and Monroe to heavy duty springs for the original B7. A few spec sheets would help.

Regards
G
barrie   
Sun Dec 16 2012, 05:10pm
I found this
- Click Here -

- Click Here -

I can't find the ball assist, they where a red ball made of rubber about the size of a ball cock, it came flat and you pushed it into the centre of the coil spring then blew it up with a foot pump.
Perhaps a caravan shop near you might help to locate a pair.

Barrie
PentlandC4   
Mon Dec 17 2012, 02:48am
Member No: #13613
Are these any help, Barrie and G?

- Click Here -

The Mad springs aren't the cheapest, though.

barrie   
Mon Dec 17 2012, 07:53am
Hi G
Ive found the "balls" they are made by a Dutch firm called Arca Research, Leiden in the Netherlands. Tel.071 576 12 38.
if the google translate page works is
- Click Here -

But they cost 139 euro so not cheap but I know they work
because they only fill 1/2 the spring height the ride is normal till the spring is compressed then the ball takes over and the assistance is controlled by the amount of air you put in and when you sell the car you take them out.

Barrie
gmerry   
Wed Jul 26 2017, 01:16am
Very old thread but here is an update.

The MOT inspection found that the rear suspension spring on the drivers side, had a broken coil (bottom coil). So the rear springs had to be replaced.

I've ended up fitting Kilen springs to both sides (apparently good Swedish quality springs). The part number was 51412 and they are designed for a B7 (C4 II) hatch with a panoramic roof. The springs are labelled Heavy Duty, to cater for the extra weight of a glass sunroof. Our car doesn't have a sunroof, so effectively the car now has stiffer rear springs. It probably now sits 10mm higher at the rear, but drives far better than it ever did when new.

Supplier was Autodoc Germany.

recommended
gmerry   
Sun Aug 06 2017, 10:46am
Here's a link to the supplier's listing - Click Here - Coil Spring (51412)

To fit the springs, its a matter of jacking up the rear of the car, undoing the two rear shock absorber bottom mounts and then pulling the suspension down until the old spring can be pulled out (the springs just fit against body/axle without any clamps etc.

regards

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member