or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Headlight washers

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Daveperce   
Sat Dec 08 2012, 09:34am
Member No: #17087
I searched on the site but cannot seem to find a post that answers my issue, so apologies if this has been asked and answered before....The headlight washers on my '06 C4 Exclusive won't extend. I end up with pools of water under the car on both sides. The fuse had blown so I replaced it but still nothing. I'm assuming that the pump must be fine hence the water under the car. Now out of warranty, so down to me I'm afraid. Any suggestions?
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Dec 08 2012, 12:13pm

Member No: #1
Check that the pipes aren't disconnected or split behind the bumper.

The only thing that pops them up is water pressure and given the cold weather of late the pipes could have frozen up and split.
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 Daveperce (08 Dec 2012 : 12:32)
JonUK   
Tue Dec 11 2012, 02:36pm
Member No: #27268
While we are on the subject, I too have headlight Washers on my 08 exclusive but my car doesn't have Xenons? Was this an optional extra on cars with ordinary headlamps? Also, my owner's manual does not advise how often they operate. Do they work everytime I use the windscreen washer when the lights are turned on? Or is it on some sort of cycle?

I always clean/scrape my lights in the morning in this weather anyway. Great thing about frost, if you have a really good scraper your glass gets a really good clean when scraping.

Dave_Retired.   
Wed Dec 12 2012, 01:27am

Member No: #1
They should work every time the windscreen is washed. It washes the headlamps twice at about a 2 second interval
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 mircea.majercsak (08 Feb 2018 : 00:25)
Biohead   
Wed Dec 12 2012, 02:40am

Member No: #6049
Headlights have to be turned on too to get the headlight washers. Otherwise you just get the windscreen wash.

It is rare to get a car with headlight washers without xenons, but it does occasionally happen. Either a mismatch at the factory (as yours is an exclusive, it might have been destined for xenons at one point in the build) or something as simple as they didn't have enough standard bumpers at the time, so kitted the one with washers instead.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Dec 12 2012, 04:09am

Member No: #90
Biohead wrote ...

It is rare to get a car with headlight washers without xenons, but it does occasionally happen. Either a mismatch at the factory (as yours is an exclusive, it might have been destined for xenons at one point in the build) or something as simple as they didn't have enough standard bumpers at the time, so kitted the one with washers instead.

There was a period when the Exec and VTS range was tweaked and the HID headlamps were deleted from certain models...the Derv VTS being one example of the cars that lost the HIDs.

As Biohead has said there have been a couple occasions on the forum of people with washer bumpers but no washers, washers with Halogens or even HIDs with Washers!

JonUK   
Thu Dec 13 2012, 04:08am
Thanks guys, I think I fall into the "people with washer bumpers but no washers" group.
Rich_Eason   
Thu Dec 13 2012, 05:44am

Member No: #90
JonUK wrote ...

Thanks guys, I think I fall into the "people with washer bumpers but no washers" group.

Headlights on, pull back on the washer stalk to wash your windscreen and look at the front bumper area (it can be done with the door open) can you see the washers pop out? They will pop up twice - it's not uncommon for the feed pipe to split or washer to break and pool water under the front bumper, especially this time of year.
JonUK   
Fri Dec 14 2012, 09:02am
Headlights on, pull back on the washer stalk to wash your windscreen and look at the front bumper area (it can be done with the door open) can you see the washers pop out?

Thanks Rich, I have already been there, they don't move and there's no water pooling under the car. I will check under the car next time it gets up on a ramp and have a proper look.
craig573   
Fri Dec 14 2012, 09:48am
Member No: #22671
I know when i bought mine the washers would not pop out and it was down do the washer pump motor which is a separate pump to the windscreen waterjet pump, the washer bottle will have 2 motors fitted to it one for windscreen and the other for headlight washers.
mircea.majercsak   
Thu Feb 08 2018, 01:02am
Member No: #50439
Hi everyone,

I hope it's ok to revive this 2012 thread. I've searched the site and found nothing for my problem. Same for the internet...

I just changed the headlight washer pump and the right headlight washer(cracked by ice). When I'm washing the windscreen with headlights on automaticaly it starts the headlights washers, twice in 5 seconds. They come out, but are not spraying any water(windscreen liquid). Searched under the hood and no leaked liquid. Any suggestions why washers are not spraying? It seems that it needs an extra second to do it...
FakeConcern   
Thu Feb 08 2018, 05:59am
Member No: #24127
The headlight washers come out with water pressure, so the pump must be working. I can only think that the jets or a pipe must be blocked.
mircea.majercsak   
Tue Feb 27 2018, 02:20am
Member No: #50439
Problem solved. It was the pump. They changed my broken pump with another broken original pump. Bought an aftermarket one and it work perfect.
FakeConcern   
Tue Feb 27 2018, 05:37am
Member No: #24127
mircea.majercsak wrote ...

Problem solved. It was the pump. They changed my broken pump with another broken original pump. Bought an aftermarket one and it work perfect.

Very strange, but glad you have it sorted now.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member