or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Cooling System Problem

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
evanwr   
Mon Nov 19 2012, 10:06pm
Member No: #14515
I have a 1.6HDI and have been getting infrequent “over temperature warnings” on the centre screen for some time. I recently bought a Lexia which showed that I have the following fault codes.

P0483 - Cooling function incorporated in ECU (electric fan unit) open circuit.
0155 - Coolant temperature information.

So I tested the car. This showed that the coolant temperature would climb to 95c at which point the “over temperature warning” would sound, without the fan coming on. While this was going on the dashboard temperature gauge would continue to show the temperature as normal (3bars).

However should you turn the Air Con on, then the fan (at high speed) will cycle in and out at about 20/30 sec intervals.

I don’t know when the fan is set to come on but it must be considerably lower than 95c.

I am concerned that it may be a problem with the fan control in the ECU. It would appear the temperature sensor is ok because Lexia is reading the correct temp (however it doesn’t explain the dashboard temp gauge).

Also if there was a problem with the fan relay I would not expect the Air Con to be able to turn it on, however I will admit that I don’t know how that system is set up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards Evan.
Zedd   
Tue Nov 20 2012, 12:29am
Member No: #19214
Hi there,

This one might be difficult to diagnose, but it could be a sticky thermostat, this might cause the temperature of the coolant to be different on either side of the thermostat. I don't know where the sensors or fan switch lives, if I knew it would make things easier.

But we had similar faults on older vehicles, feel for the radiator pipes, in and out, to be the same temperature before the fan comes on.

If the fan comes on with one pipe hot and other cold would indicate a "blockage" and that could be caused by faulty thermostat.

Kr

Zedd
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Nov 20 2012, 01:36am

Member No: #1
It could also be a faulty fan control unit on the radiator or simply dirty connections to the wiring there: - Click Here -

P0483: - Click Here -
evanwr   
Thu Nov 22 2012, 01:37am
Member No: #14515
Thanks fellas for input. Spot on Dave, I replaced the fan control unit and problem fixed. Regards Evan

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member