or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Fume smell from C4 Aircon / heating

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Makiwarakicker   
Sat Oct 09 2010, 04:00am
Member No: #13827
My wife complained for about the last 4 months about a fume smell comig from the air vents. I checked fuel exhaust and the usual suspects. The aircon had been serviced a couple of months before. I brought this up with the main dealer when the car went in for the last service.

They couldn't find the problem - just bring the car back if it happens again - it happens every time the car is driven. It is improved by using the recirculate button.

Last weekend I was trying to find the issue and noticed a small melted piece of plastic sitting on top of the diesel pump. i took the top cover off and could see that plastic had melted around the number 3 & 4 injectors. I thought is was the inlet manifold but it turns out the injector seals had melted.

2 days of labour and 280 quid later it was fixed no smell of plastic and car responds better to accelarator.
2 User said Thank You to Makiwarakicker for this Post :
  (23 Oct 2011 : 14:28) , wellie111 (17 Jul 2013 : 09:05)
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Oct 09 2010, 04:14am

Member No: #1
Thanks for posting. We had another post on fuel smell this week that was due to a faulty seal on the fuel tank filler pipe
Makiwarakicker   
Sat Oct 23 2010, 02:33am
Member No: #13827
After a 3 days of fume free driving my wife complained again. I checked the area around the seals and couldn't see anything melted like before. When she went to drive the car next there was a really bad noise and smoke coming from the engine. I removed the top cover and the number 4 injector was emitting a lot of smoke.

So it was back to the dealer again. They found that one of the bolts was loose because of a stripped thread.

This was repaired for free and the car has been fine even since. I have checked the bolts since then however they are security bolt so you will need special adapters to check loosen or fasten.
cj_thunderbird   
Mon Oct 25 2010, 06:26am
Would anyone be able to post a diagram of where I might need to be looking in relation to both Makiwarakicker's posts? Diesel pump and the injectors. I had a whiff diesel/plastic this morning on the way to work.

I've noticed that my C4 has lost a bit of its sparkle on acceleration over the last week or so and I'm wondering if these two things could be connected.
agiorgitis   
Thu Oct 28 2010, 05:24am
There is an inforapid that states:

Smell of fuel in the passenger compartment

1. ORIGIN

O-ring seals of the injector return pipe unions .

2. AFTER-SALES REPAIR

CAUTION : Do not replace the injectors

Check the sealing of the unions on the injector return pipes .

Replace the injector return pipes (If necessary).
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (28 Oct 2010 : 06:19)
tim0205   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 01:13am
Hi I appear to have a similar problem, when in standing traffic I would notice slight smell of exhaust fumes in the cab, turning on recirculation cleared it and car performed normally, just this weekend fumes have increased and engine is making what I can only describe as "phut phut" noise. Car is 2005 1.6hdi 92bhp with 93,000 miles. Anybody any thoughts. I cant see or feel any leak from the actual exhaust?
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 02:40am

Pull off the engine cover and have a look around the injectors for leaking fuel as it could be a failed injector seal
Phil   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 05:35am

Member No: #406
Totally agree - the "phut phut" noise will be the sound or gases leaking past the injector.
rajsidhu   
Tue Jan 08 2013, 06:44am
Member No: #22268
Hi,

I just had a full service done on my C4GP, 1.6 HDi, Exclusive 2008.

In the report sheet, the mechanic says that there is "a slight fuel leak on injector number 3 - possible seals".

Can you tell me what I need to do in order to fix this problem?

Thanks
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jan 08 2013, 07:41am

Well the answer is pretty obvious, replace the injector seals on injector number 3
rajsidhu   
Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:22pm
Has anyone had to replace injector seals before? If so how much would it cost?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jan 08 2013, 01:21pm

rajsidhu wrote ...

Has anyone had to replace injector seals before? If so how much would it cost?

Yes, lots of posts on it and cost all depends if they come out clean, or break in the cylinder head.....................
rajsidhu   
Wed Jan 09 2013, 03:49am
I have tried to find posts about injector seal problems and can only find the odd comment here and there.

Can anyone tell me if I am being told that "injector number 3 has a slight fuel leak - possible seals" would this mean I definately need it sorting or should a fault code appear if this is really a problem?

I don't want to get work done that I may not need and also risk damaging anything.

C6 Dave - why would the injector not come out clean and break into the cyclinder head?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jan 09 2013, 05:57am

It may not come out because it has been leaking and carbon build it could make it tight.

Your question about a possible error code has been answered elsewhere and asking the same question in multiple threads just gets very confusing.........................
77cantona77   
Fri Mar 22 2013, 09:51am
Member No: #29839
Might be a little late but I had smell in the cabin also and found it to be the cold fresh air intake was taking in air from the engine bay not the outside.

Check all pipework for leaks namely the connection to the side of the engine air filter box.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member