or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

Two years on…

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
BigJohnD   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 02:30pm

Member No: #82
It's a repeat of last year's non-event:

I've had my nouvelle C4 92hp 1.6HDi VTR+ for two years now. There's nothing untoward to report, and the mpg has never been below 55mpg.

The first year's road tax was "nil"; last year's £20, and this year it is £20 again. The 25,000 mile service was carried out by Hartwells in Chester, and there was nothing to report. Nothing has gone wrong or fallen off, and there has been no need to invoke the warranty. Oil consumption is negligible, and the tyres still have life in them at around 3 to 4 mm, so replacements will be found in the new year.

This summer's 5,000km trip to the south of Spain and back was comfortable and uneventful as far as the car was concerned, with overall fuel consumption at 5l/100km. We returned via the A75, crossing the spectacular Millau Viaduct for the 4th time in 6 years (which had roadworks and a contra-flow this year).

So I'm very satisfied.

I've also had the following "Reader Review" published in What Car? - Click Here -
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Oct 25 2012, 01:43am

Member No: #1
2 years already John, my how time flies.
spizlot3   
Thu Oct 25 2012, 02:31am
Member No: #9705
Location: Runcorn (Unfortunately not in the blummin' rich area) of Cheshire!
Can't complain at that!!!!
BigJohnD   
Thu Oct 25 2012, 03:54am

C6 Dave wrote ...

2 years already John, my how time flies.

Strictly speaking, about 20 months as it was a demonstrator.
BigJohnD   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 06:53am

Update:

4 years on, the C4 passed its MoT this morning at about 48,000 miles.

I asked the tester if there were any advisories, and there were none. He did say the emissions were really clean and low. I told him I'd done over a thousand miles in the last week or so, and he said it's the only way to keep the DV6 engine clean - get the exhaust system really hot. He said he had failed lots of cars with a similar engine because the owners never went very far and the deposits built up.
riven1962   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:55am
Member No: #18905
Sounds like you have got a good car there John. Nice one.
FakeConcern   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 01:06pm
Member No: #24127
Excellent!
BigJohnD   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 01:24pm

Apart from the engine management light appearing for a couple of days, it's been faultless.

The trip computer read 64mpg for our 580 mile return journey to Kent from the Irish Sea seaside and 60mpg for the last 1,000, so no complaints there.

Just have to save up for the 50,000 mile service in the next couple weeks.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 02:01pm

Member No: #1
riven1962 wrote ...

Just a C4 that's looked after properly, if they all were, then the site would be redundant
FrankBullitt   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 02:23pm

Member No: #19238
Admin Dave wrote ...

riven1962 wrote ...

Just a C4 that's looked after properly, if they all were, then the site would be redundant

grinfactor   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 01:42pm
Member No: #38179
Nice 1. Looking at getting a C4 myself & this adds to the reason to go for one
BigJohnD   
Thu Dec 04 2014, 07:30am

I drove off early yesterday morning while it was still cold and frosty - 0°C showing on the display. After a couple of miles the EML and "SERVICE" warning lit up with the error message "Engine fault - repair needed" appearing in the display. I drove on a few miles with no obvious problem to where I was going but didn't have any time while there to investigate further.

When I got back into the car, the same thing happened on start up.

I felt I had nothing to lose, so went for a 30 round mile trip on the motorway at 65+ mph. Car performed as per usual, i.e. fine with nothing obvious out of order.

When I got home with the error messages still showing, I decided to wait a couple of hours and then re-start the engine. This time there were no error messages!

I'm already booked in for the 50,000 miles service next week, so I'll mention it. But it does seem to me that maybe there's a lot of condensation about and things aren't getting hot enough in this cold weather.
BigJohnD   
Tue Dec 09 2014, 12:46pm

The car was serviced today, 50K miles, four years old. I asked for the two occasions when when the EML came on to be checked, but there was nothing to report.

They did say the rear brake pads were 80% worn and the fronts 60% which threw me a bit, I thought it should be the other way round, but they confirmed it when I asked.

I'll get the jack our when it's a bit warmer and have a look myself.

So, Father Christmas, 4 discs and front and rear pads, please.

Then I'll call Barrie and we can fit them!!
grinfactor   
Wed Dec 10 2014, 08:48am
Member No: #38179
Cold weather & condensation has placed a few tricks on cars & motorbikes for me in the past.
Now you mention brakes, in over 40 years of driving I've only once had to replace the rear ones on a Rover 75 and that was because it had stood too long with road salt etc on them and had corroded badly.
BigJohnD   
Wed Dec 10 2014, 10:59am

I live some 100 yards from the sea, which makes everything salty and sandy, so I'm used to the brakes being a bit noisy on their first application after standing for a couple of days.

But it still doesn't explain why the rears have worn faster the fronts. With every other car I've owned, the front brakes have always needed attention before the rears.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member