or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Peeling paintwork on C4 2005 5dr Silver Grey

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
rosebud57   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 04:31am
I'm posting this problem to see if any other member has had the same problem as mine. A few days ago after cleaning the car I noticed that the paintwork in the channel above the front windscreen was peeling and flaking away. Fortunately it has not affected the paint on the roof itself yet! I have now fitted a rubber trim seal to prevent any further paint from peeling (hopefully). I sealed the grove with rtv sealant to make it watertight. It now looks like a standard fitting and I'm pleased with how it looks. I'm just interested in knowing if any other owner has experienced this same problem?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 06:28am

Member No: #1
7 year old car, you have to expect a few issues.

Have you had the car from new, have there been any repairs in the past?
rosebud57   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 08:13am
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. We have owned quite a few cars over the years but this is the first one ever to have shed its paint in this fashion. Maybe we've just been lucky. My wife's car, a 12 year old Seat Arosa still has excellent paintwork. We have not had the car from new so I do not know if it has had any major body repairs. It was purchased from a Citroen Main Dealer.

I did wonder if it has had a new screen fitted at some time in the past and damage occurred then. In conclusion I certainly wouldn't expect this sort of problem with a 7 year old vehicle on 42000 miles only. I've been unable to find out it's previous history so cannot comment any further.

Thanks anyway Graham
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 09:42am

rosebud57 wrote ...

We have not had the car from new so I do not know if it has had any major body repairs. It was purchased from a Citroen Main Dealer.

I did wonder if it has had a new screen fitted at some time in the past and damage occurred then.

The only other paint issue posts we have had in over 6 years are ones relating to 'bubbling' on the bonnet which a lot of cars suffer from and 1 recently on a 'peeling' bumper.

Which is why I asked if any repairs had been carried out in the past.
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
  (20 Jun 2013 : 03:44)
GaryStorr   
Thu Jun 20 2013, 02:47am
Member No: #14645
Hi,

I have a 54 plate C4 and have exactly the same issue. Unfortunatly, the first time i spotted this was when a patch from the roof came off. There is now bubbling like you mention on the other side of the roof in the gap between roof and windscreen.

I now have a 2 inch square or paint missing and am concerned that it will get worse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
1 User said Thank You to GaryStorr for this Post :
  (19 Feb 2014 : 03:28)
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Jun 20 2013, 03:39am

8 year old car, if it's had it's paintwork inspections carried out at the set intervals you could try a dealer claim via the corrosion warranty but I wouldn't hold out much hope so you need to either go to a local bodyshop for a quote to respray the roof, or maybe get it vinyl 'wrapped'

If it's in the 'channel' above the screen then as the OP it could have had a windscreen change at some point (earl cars were prone to 'stress' fractures of the glass) and whatever chemical cleaners etc. they used may have damaged the paint
Rich_Eason   
Thu Jun 20 2013, 05:40am

Member No: #90
C6 Dave wrote ...

If it's in the 'channel' above the screen then as the OP it could have had a windscreen change at some point (earl cars were prone to 'stress' fractures of the glass) and whatever chemical cleaners etc. they used may have damaged the paint

Or a glance of a stone is all that is needed to allow moisture in and get under any clear coat...
amjl2000   
Wed Jul 09 2014, 01:37pm
Member No: #5047
I've just had my car back from a partial respray..

story: slight scratch on rear quarter above filler cap, which started bubbling up a bit.

Had the car valeted (combo deal in local garage), and guy with pressure washer took off a massive area of paint. Manager was very willing to sort it out at his cost (he said washer should have seen the defect and not washed it). When I took it to my local bodyshop, I also noticed the flaking paint above the windscreen.

I think it was also looking worse because of the pressure wash, but it was deteriorating previously. Guy at bodyshop said it'd be at least another 300 on top of what he was already doing (ouch). He also suggested a vinyl wrap over the roof (he thought black would be good, would look like a panoramic window!), or as an alternative some kind of ~1" wide transfer of some sort to simply cover the bit across the front.

I'm going to look into the 'B' plan, as a full vinyl wrap can cost almost as much as a respray from what I've read.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 02:33am

amjl2000 wrote ...

I'm going to look into the 'B' plan, as a full vinyl wrap can cost almost as much as a respray from what I've read.

There's a big difference between a 'full' vinyl wrap and just having the roof done...
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 amjl2000 (10 Jul 2014 : 15:31)
rosebud57   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 03:15am
I have read the other members comments regarding this paint issue on the C4, it seems that this problem appears to be affecting cars made in 2004/2005. I have now spoken to 2 other owners in the town where I live who have had exactly the same problem as I had. In my case I had the roof re sprayed as well as some other issues ie peeling lacquer on the front bumper at a cost of £400. Interestingly both the cars were in the same colour as mine Silver Grey! The body shop manager did comment that in his opinion this problem was a factory/production issue. He added that he had never seen paintwork peel off in such large sheets like mine did. I am coming to the conclusion that he may well be right. I am so disappointed with the whole affair.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 03:49am

rosebud57 wrote ...

I am coming to the conclusion that he may well be right. I am so disappointed with the whole affair.

It's a 9/10 year old car and the bumpers are plastic. If you haven't had it from new how do you know it wasn't a poor repair by the previous owner?
amjl2000   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 03:39pm
Member No: #5047
rosebud57 wrote ...

The body shop manager did comment that in his opinion this problem was a factory/production issue.

This is what mine said too. The paint that was peeling was so thin.
Interestingly though, the technical manager of the garage chain that was responsible for the dodgy pressure wash reckoned that the side of the car had been resprayed in the past because he said he could see a blend across the roof and adjacent door panel. I could see didly, and hmmmd along with him. The bodyshop did not have the same opinion when I brought up the comment. They did reckon that the paint condition was very poor, poorer than it really should be even with 9 years under the elements. I'm not overly fussed as I've seen terrible looking paint on some cars, I think I'm lucky!

Also, thanks Dave, I will at least have a look at getting a wrap for the whole roof.
ATONAT   
Sat Aug 02 2014, 12:57pm
Member No: #26500
Just chiming in to say my 3dr C4 in silver grey has bubbling and peeling in the roof channel above the windscreen, and also on the rear quarters right at the edge near the boot, where the angle of the glass is.

Started off as bubbling, then started to flake off. I also spotted another one for sale with the same issue, although the owner had out on a hideous black roof wrap to hide the issue with the roof.

Bit gutted as it's just about the time I'm looking to sell and it's going to seriously devalue the car or cost me big to sort it!
1 User said Thank You to ATONAT for this Post :
  (04 Aug 2014 : 02:07)
rosebud57   
Mon Aug 04 2014, 02:20am
I have to commiserate with Atonat, and confirm that my paintwork issue was almost exactly the same as his. I noticed too that his paint colour is the same as mine!

It seems to me that there is a pattern here, and despite the comments made by a certain other contributor, it does suggest that the issue could have been caused by a problem at the factory perhaps.
Johnboy   
Sun May 24 2015, 09:59am
Member No: #36887
I also have a 2005 sliver grey C4 vtr and last night the same thing happened to my car! I'd noticed a while ago a slight wearing of the paint in the front and rear roof channels above the windscreen and rear glass. Last night whilst driving home, a patch of roof paint 6 inches by 3 inches peeled off the roof! I notice that there is some more small bubbling of paint close to this area.
As it's a 10 year old car I doubt Citroen will do anything. Then again if it's a common issue has anyone had any joy from them? How long do they guarantee the paint for? I guess I'll have to get it re sprayed. Has anyone any idea how much a re-sprayed roof would cost ?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!! Many thanks....

1 User said Thank You to Johnboy for this Post :
  (25 May 2015 : 06:56)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member