or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Coupe Exhaust fumes in the cabin

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Tue Jul 31 2012, 04:08am
Member No: #1556
I'm getting the smell of exhaust fumes in my 1.6 HDi VTR + Coupe, and I've searched the forum and there is mention of injector seals.

Just to confirm if this is likely to bethe problem, I'm not getting diesel fumes but the exhaust fumes, would this still be they likely problem?
Thanks.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jul 31 2012, 10:05am

Member No: #1
Possibly or an exhaust joint blowing at the front.

If you pull the engine cover off Clive you should see if there is any leaks around the injectors
Gooner_Mike   
Tue Jul 31 2012, 10:42am
Member No: #18986
Could be injector seals. I had one fixed today. It smelled like it was sucking in exhaust fumes from cars in front of me and turning the aircon to recirculation mode got rid of it.

Pop the bonnet and lift the engine cover off with the engine running. You will see exhaust escaping from one of the injectors / cylinders if there is a leak. There may be deposits of oil / tar also.
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Tue Jul 31 2012, 03:00pm
Gooner_Mike wrote ...

Could be injector seals. I had one fixed today. It smelled like it was sucking in exhaust fumes from cars in front of me and turning the aircon to recirculation mode got rid of it.

Pop the bonnet and lift the engine cover off with the engine running. You will see exhaust escaping from one of the injectors / cylinders if there is a leak. There may be deposits of oil / tar also.

When you mean engine cover do you mean the square plastic thing with C4 on that pops on top of the engine that makes it look 'tidy'.
I'm assuming that as the exhaust sounds ok, still like a taxi tho, that the exhaust is ok.
I'll investigate tomorrow before it gives into the garage for a fix.
barrie   
Tue Jul 31 2012, 03:03pm
Clive, pour a bit of soapy water over the injector seals to see if it bubbles
If you have to change one do all four, the copper seals are very cheap its the labour that will cost but it is a job you can do yourself

Barrie
Gooner_Mike   
Tue Jul 31 2012, 03:44pm
Bin-The-L-Plates wrote ...

When you mean engine cover do you mean the square plastic thing with C4 on that pops on top of the engine that makes it look 'tidy'.

Yes, pop that off and you will be able to see the 4 injectors poking into the head. There might be some oil deposits around the blown seal. Like this:

Bin-The-L-Plates   
Tue Jul 31 2012, 04:56pm
Thanks Gooner_Mike, that picture looks yuk and a right mess.
Luckily I had already taken the day off to play golf with my son so in theory not lost a days work, let's hope it not too expensive.
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 05:21pm
Bit of a long wait but the diagnosis is leaking injection seal on No.3.

Last week they couldn't be sure it was and were not prepared to do something which wasn't required.

Booked it in for a week later, and today it was a positive diagnosis.

Unfortunately no parts available, so booked in for next Weds.

Luckily I've arranged every Weds off during school hols to play golf with my son, so no lost lessons as such.

They're going to do the faulty one and see how it comes out, then do the rest if its not too difficult.

I trust my garage but they would'nt give me an idea of the cost as its mainly a labour job and they don't want to rush it. I haven't a problem with this, as it needs doing correctly.

Anyone had it done recently, and what were they charged?
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Wed Aug 15 2012, 11:31am
Bin-The-L-Plates wrote ...

Bit of a long wait but the diagnosis is leaking injection seal on No.3.

Last week they couldn't be sure it was and were not prepared to do something which wasn't required.

Booked it in for a week later, and today it was a positive diagnosis.

Unfortunately no parts available, so booked in for next Weds.

Luckily I've arranged every Weds off during school hols to play golf with my son, so no lost lessons as such.

They're going to do the faulty one and see how it comes out, then do the rest if its not too difficult.

I trust my garage but they would'nt give me an idea of the cost as its mainly a labour job and they don't want to rush it. I haven't a problem with this, as it needs doing correctly.

Anyone had it done recently, and what were they charged?

Here's an update......
Managed to remove the leaking injector seal, but it was a struggle. They are not going to risk doing the others.
It has taken over 4 hrs, but luckily they are only going to charge me about 2 hrs, so fixed for £80.
Good result on my birthday too, happy days.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 15 2012, 11:49am

Member No: #1
Yes, once there leaking it causes all sorts of problems getting the injectors out.

Sounds like you have been lucky and it didn't snap off Clive
Gooner_Mike   
Wed Aug 15 2012, 01:41pm
Good work, glad its sorted!
PentlandC4   
Wed Aug 15 2012, 02:03pm
Member No: #13613
Mine may or may not have a slight whiff of diesel at the moment, so I'll lift the engine cover at the weekend and take a look.
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Wed Aug 15 2012, 05:16pm
PentlandC4 wrote ...

Mine may or may not have a slight whiff of diesel at the moment, so I'll lift the engine cover at the weekend and take a look.

There was no diesel smell, just exhaust gases.
The car was only really useable with the climate control set to re-circulate.
Suffered this for two weeks, as it played havoc with my contact lenses and caused a very dry throat.

On a side note, the car now appears quieter and seems to drive better.
Gogs33   
Fri Oct 18 2019, 08:29am
Member No: #54846
Hi, I think I have a leak from the injectors. I have the fumey smell in the interior and this has only started recently. There has been a little oil in the area previous ly but can anyone confirm from this pic. pls? Also how much does a replacement injector cost? Job sounds fiddly from the original posts but has anyone experience of doing it? Forget the picture it won't upload - I'm fairly certain that's the issue just debating on having a go myself or not.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member