or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 1.6 HDi clutch replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Zedd   
Fri Aug 10 2012, 07:10am
Member No: #19214
I been gone a while, I'm back. Couldn't find any useful info in the threads, so I decided to post this question.

Has anyone replaced the clutch on the C4 1.6 HDi themselves.

I have a failed clutch and the timing belt is also due for replacement.

Is it basically same as other vehicles or are there some niggles that I might come up against that can only be sorted in a properly rigged workshop.

I have done this on many other vehicles so I, do have experience in the field, however they were much older and most probably much easier to work on.

I would prefer to pull the engine rather than drop the box because of the timing belt replacement.

Is this possible?

Many thanks,

Zedd
gmerry   
Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:10am
Member No: #11625
Hi, I replaced a Citroen C4 Hatchback 1.6HDi Clutch and Flywheel.

I did post on this as well. (search my posts, it was August 2011).

The key learning for me was correct disconnection of the gearbox control cables. I posted specifically on this with a few photos. - Click Here -
I also gave the machining dimensions for a clutch plate centering drift.

Have a look at my posts under maintenance tips.

Regards
G
1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 Zedd (10 Aug 2012 : 10:09)
gmerry   
Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:28am
Hi Zedd, I lowered the engine and gearbox together and then split them apart on the ground under the car.

However it is less work to remove just the box.

Basically job envolves removal of bumper, front structural panel, mudguard plastic liner.

If you want to make the job much easier, I would remove the front radiator panel completely having first degassed the air conditioning condensor and plugged all the openings and hoses for that system.

The front exhaust catalytic convertor where it bolts to the turbocharger has to come off the front of the engine because some of the bolts holding the gearbox to the engine are hidden behind that.

The front exhaust pipes need to removed where they pass over the front subframe, above steering rack.

The starter motor is a bit of pig to remove but working from below, remove exhaust first and then vacuum reservoir to improve access a little. The 3rd bolt for the starter motor is accessed from above the gearbox (having removed the battery and battery tray) and is screwed into the starter motor.

I recommend getting the Sealey pliers for the exhaust clamps as access to the clamp is tricky above the steering rack.

If you have done this sort of job before, no reason why a C4 should pose any particular problems

I bent the gearshift cables hence had a poor gearshift afterwards. Ended up replacing both cables and gearlever as they come as a spare unit not available separately. The plastic bracket on the gearbox that nchors the outer ends of the cables (and has the copper clips) is very delicate and its hard to see what one is doing. This for me was trickiest part of the job.

Regards

G
gmerry   
Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:41am
Hi, this was my first post relating to clutch job. - Click Here -

There is a photo of the chewed up throw-out bearing which had disintegrated.

The clutch plate was ruined by the bearing fragments but otherwise would have lasted for years.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Aug 10 2012, 09:57am
Zedd, here is a link to a post showing Sealey exhaust clamp pliers

- Click Here -

I also recall posting that there are a lot of 16mm and 18mm across flats fasteners and so a ratcheting ring spanner covering those sizes is very useful. (lots of places where a scocket set cannot be used or is very ackward)

Regards
Zedd   
Fri Aug 10 2012, 10:15am
Many thanks Gmerry, youre always a great help!! Sounds like a great idea, to drop the whole thing and split it once out.
Ill go through your posts now that I have direction.

Kind regards

Zedd
Zedd   
Sat Aug 11 2012, 09:31pm
Its 4am and I can't sleep, thanks to Gmerry, I will now do the work myself. I will also take photo's and guide, of progress as I go along for future enthusiasts.
Don't really want to, but I just don't trust mechanics, in some workshop, I've seen some very shady things.
Any one know what brand citroen uses in clutch? I am in favour of SACHS, having used sachs for many years without problems, I just don't trust other brands.
But I'm old timer that is willing to see/install new products.
ImaginaryLight   
Sun Aug 12 2012, 04:22am
Member No: #19242
Citroen would only use original Citroen products.

If you take it on yourself, good luck
gmerry   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 03:33am
Hi Zedd, I replaced the clutch with a Sachs 3 piece kit as per original fitment. I also replaced the Dual Mass Flywheel with a Sachs unit.

DMF is very expensive, so I would probably be inclined to inspect the face of the old one first before fitting new. The new one makes the occasional chugging noise just like the original (which I had though was on it's way out due to chugging noise).

Regards
G
 Zedd (13 Aug 2012 : 03:58)
Zedd   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 04:02am
Hi Gmerry, Is it possible to skim the flywheel?
I have to get the original clutch kit, our local sachs supplier has no stock. They are waiting for shipment to arrive +- 3 weeks.
Cant wait that long.
gmerry   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 05:20am
Hi Zedd, the Sachs 3 piece kit(Pressure plate, friction plate, bearing) was exactly the same as per original fitment: I just purchased this from the aftermarket rather than a dealer.

In my experience, there is a good chance the DMF will be fine. Not sure if these can be machined (check with local engine machine shop) but I suspect the answer will be no.

What are your symptoms causing clutch replacement to be needed?

In RSA, is it possible to privately import spare parts, airfreight etc?

When you remove the old bearing, first take a photo showing how it sits. There are no clips or anything to hold the new bearing in place, it just sits there. I kind of doubted that I had done the job correctly until I tried it.

Regards
G
 Zedd (13 Aug 2012 : 05:24)
Zedd   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 05:50am
Hi Gmerry, wow you are a king.

The clutch started to judder and got so bad that I couldn't pull away.
guess the springs on the plate have expired. I noticed there was something going on because if you depress the pedal slightly you can feel an uneven pressure back at you.
I guess I could import but time is a factor.
I am realizing that starter pig, and think while its out I'm going to recondition it. Don't want to take it out in a hurry again.

Kind regards

Zedd
Zedd   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 08:37am
I don't find springs on the clutch plate??? wierd, anyway its out and what a mess. Not too bad a job other than that starter "pig"
And here it is!

And finally!

1 User said Thank You to Zedd for this Post :
 BigJohnD (14 Aug 2012 : 16:54)
gmerry   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 09:12am
Zedd, hi.

The friction plate doesn't need any springs because the torsional decoupling (between gearbox and engine) happens in the DMF rather than in thedriven plate itself.

Looks as though your clutch "failure" had the release bearing as the initiating event, rather than wear of the clutch plate itself.

The release bearing is mostly plastic, no thermal capacity whatsover. Not a good car to learn to drive on!!!.

Anyway you have obviously made a good start. Hopefully no problems with the gear shift cables.

Regards
G
Zedd   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 09:16am
meekstaaa wrote ...

Citroen would only use original citroen products.

If you take it on yourself, good luck

Hi Meekstaaa, my question here seems to be answered, the original is a SACHS, that is if it were never replaced before. vehicle has 200000km (120000m) on the odometer. So not 100% sure.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member