or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Darren's Detailing Database

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Commodore   
Thu Oct 25 2012, 03:43pm
Member No: #21107
cooter wrote ...

Had a search & found 3 of them, Medium-Regular-Soft.
Is there much of a difference between them?

There is a noticeable difference, but in most cases, regular will be absolutely fine for the task.
cooter   
Fri Oct 26 2012, 10:51am
Member No: #25579
Thanks everyone, bilt hamber clay now ordered.
Just need to relax now until it arrives, then the work begins.
FakeConcern   
Tue Nov 06 2012, 04:59pm
Member No: #24127
Commodore wrote ...

FakeConcern wrote ...

Thanks again Commodore, I won't get a chance to try it till next week (half term) as this weekend we are going up to Norwich to see the kids, but will let you know the results (& show them!) when I do.

No problem - happy to help out. Look forward to seeing the interior pics once you've degreased it.

Finally got around to using the G101 Commodore sent me on the interior. What a difference! I hated the shiny look, give me the natural plastic every time!
Thank you again SO much Chris. Now thinking of all the other uses I can put it to.

Commodore   
Tue Nov 06 2012, 05:22pm
No problem. Happy to help.

The transformation is quite amazing - G101 is a superb cleaner.
1 User said Thank You to Commodore for this Post :
 FakeConcern (28 Nov 2012 : 10:21)
FakeConcern   
Sun Nov 11 2012, 01:42pm
A quick question. When cleaning the side windows & you need to wind them down a bit to get rid of the line of dirt at the top, it's really annoying when you just get " economy mode activated". Is there a work around or do you always have to start the car?
Commodore   
Sun Nov 11 2012, 01:49pm
FakeConcern wrote ...

A quick question. When cleaning the side windows & you need to wind them down a bit to get rid of the line of dirt at the top, it's really annoying when you just get " economy mode activated". Is there a work around or do you always have to start the car?

No workaround alas, if economy mode kicks in, you'll have to start the car to regain acces to electrical features such as the window controls.
1 User said Thank You to Commodore for this Post :
 FakeConcern (11 Nov 2012 : 13:55)
FakeConcern   
Sun Nov 11 2012, 01:55pm
thanks for the reply, I thought that must be the case, what a pain! Made it a pleasure to clean Daughter No. 1's Clio this afternoon as took a few seconds to do the top of the windows. Also I don't like starting the car if it's not going to be driven.
NiteSite   
Sun Nov 11 2012, 02:04pm
Member No: #293
Unless you just lock the car and hold down the lock button to automatically raise the windows. then unlock again?
FakeConcern   
Sun Nov 11 2012, 02:26pm
But is there a function to open them?
Rich_Eason   
Mon Nov 12 2012, 01:45am

Member No: #90
FakeConcern wrote ...

But is there a function to open them?

There is no global opening feature for the windows, only closing.

Its either clean the window before Economy Mode kicks in, or if it has already then you need to turn over the engine and either clean it with the engine running, or turn off and clean.
BigJohnD   
Mon Nov 12 2012, 05:27am

Member No: #82
Rich_Eason wrote ...

There is no global opening feature for the windows, only closing.

The current models have that facility via the key fob, provided all the doors and boot are shut.

Press and hold lock: Doors lock and windows close.
Press and hold unlock: Doors unlock and windows open.

The weakness of the system is that the windows only move while the button is held down - so it is easy to leave a window partially open when locking. A final visual check or holding the button down for a seemingly long time is needed to be sure the car is secure.

FakeConcern   
Wed Nov 28 2012, 10:32am
What product do members use for the black plastic trim? I always used Armor All, which gave a good finish, but never lasted as long as I wanted it to. Recently I tried the Meguiar's stuff - Click Here - I did both of my daughters Clios before they went off to Uni at the end of September. They are back for a few days, so I washed their cars. I was really disappointed when I saw that most of the trim had gone white! This happened after such a short time, much less time than it took the Armor All I had replaced. So as said, what do others use & how good is it?
Commodore   
Wed Nov 28 2012, 10:43am
For black trim and bumper pieces, I have previously use Simoniz Back to Black trim aerosol spray, and Wilkindson's own-brand Bumper & Trim Restorer aerosol spray.

However, both are difficult to apply evenly, can leave a lot of overspray (especially if there's a breeze blowing) and don't last very long at all.

I've recently switched to Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel, after trying some at the FrenchUK meet at Rutland Water. it lasts a good couple of weeks, and doesn't turn the trim white. I've been very impressed with it.

Have not yet tried the Megs trim gel, so can't comment on it I'm afraid.
PentlandC4   
Wed Nov 28 2012, 12:28pm
Member No: #13613
I think I posted a link last year to a chemical solution, which supposedly returns black plastic to something like its original colour.

I've actually sneaked temporarily away from house packing, so won't have time to look for the link, though...
cooter   
Wed Nov 28 2012, 01:08pm
Member No: #25579
FakeConcern wrote ...

Recently I tried the Meguiar's stuff - Click Here -

I used the previous version of this (Gold Class Trim Detailer) & never had any problems with white bits. Maybe the ingredients are different now which might be causing the problem.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member