or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Darren's Detailing Database

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Commodore   
Fri Sep 28 2012, 03:39pm
Member No: #21107
No trouble at all, ping me your details and I'll get some out to you.

G101 is an all purpose cleaner and degreaser from Autosmart. It's a professional trade product for valeters and detailers, but very popular among those in the know, and Autosmart reps are happy to sell products to the general public. However, G101 is sold in a minimum size of 5 Litres and up (though there are several sellers on eBay who decant it into smaller portions and sell it on).

I'm going to decant some concentrate from my 5 Litre bottle for you.

Dilute 1 part product to 30 parts water for interior use and general all round cleaning. 1:8 for heavy soiling on door shuts etc and engine degreasing, 1:5 for bug & ink removal, and for use on heavily soiled wheel rims.

For those who were at FCS this year, it was G101 at 1:30 dilution that I gave to Darren to clean up his engine bay at the Megs Top 25 display.
2 User said Thank You to Commodore for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (29 Sep 2012 : 00:31) , FakeConcern (29 Sep 2012 : 12:54)
Commodore   
Wed Oct 10 2012, 05:15pm
With winter hurtling towards us, it's a good time to talk about winter body prep and cleaning.

Surface prep: if you haven't already done so, now is a good time to clay your car, polish it at least twice and then apply 2-3 coats of a good wax, or sealant.

Waxing or using a synthetic sealant will not only lock in the shine, it will make it much much easier to rinse off dirt, and create a barrier between the corrosive road salt and your bodywork for longer.

For polish, I've had excellent results with both Megs Ultimate Polish and the new formula AutoGlym Super Resin Polish. The latter contains fillers that will partially mask some scratches and paint imperfections, and the new formula will no longer turn your black plastics white, so no need to tape up your trim. Hand application is absolutely fine for both products.

For Wax, which can be done to any colour of car but looks best on darker colours, consider Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, or Dodo Juice Purple Haze hard wax. Autosmart WAX (meant to be all in caps) is another excellent hard carnauba wax and is very economical price wise.

Waxes can also be used to seal alloy wheels to create a barrier between the alloy and brake dust, making it much easier to clean brake dust and grime off them with little more than a pressure washer.

For sealants, which look best on lighter coloured cars, AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection, in combination wi Super Resin Polish is hard to beat, and very easy to apply.

Washing: when it's cold and miserable out, you probably won't fancy going out with the hose, buckets etc and spending a couple of hours bathing your car and getting soaked with freezing cold water. However doing something to keep the road salt and other crud under control is a good idea, so think about investing in a bottle or two of waterless wash solution.

These products work a bit like a Quik Detailer, but pack a lot more cleaning power and contain synthetic polymers and surfactants that encapsulate the dirt, allowing you to wipe it off without scraping it along the bodywork surface.

Waterless wash products usually spray on, wipe off with a microfibre cloth and require a quick buff of the resulting surface with a dry cloth to bring up the shine.

Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere is a very good product, but a bit pricey at about £15 a bottle (good for cleaning about 3-4 cars). Darren used it on his car at FCS as part of his prep for the Megs Top 25, and I was so impressed with how it cleaned up his car, I bought a bottle and have been using it occasionally ever since. Effortless to use, leaves a good shine and takes about 15-20 mins to clean a whole C4.
I've also been using Triplewax Waterless Wash & Shine with very good results. A 1litre spray bottle can be found for 97p in selected large Tesco branches where they seem to be clearing it. I bought 6 bottles last month. Requires more buffing than the Megs product, but is equally good at cleaning.

Do remember that waterless products are not suitable for heavily soiled cars. These will still need a good blast with a strong hose or pressure washer to loosen and remove excess dirt.

For those preferring conventional washing, do consider snowfoaming. A strong PH Neutral Snowfoam like Valet Pro Advanced PH Neutral Snowfoam can help you tackle much of the dirt on your car, if used regularly, simply by snowfoaming, allowing to dwel, then pressure washing off (and drying to prevent the water freezing onto the car). This approach requires minimal effort and minimal touching of the car.

Hope that is useful.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Oct 11 2012, 01:36am

Member No: #1
Commodore wrote ...

Waterless wash products usually spray on, wipe off with a microfibre cloth and require a quick buff of the resulting surface with a dry cloth to bring up the shine.

Depenss on your definition of 'Heavily Soiled' and the actual product being used.

I have been using Onedrywash - Click Here - on the Morris (occasionally on the C6 but it's a big car to clean) for a year now with no problems Chris.

You just need a large supply of cloths for a very dirty car so you can keep changing them

Having said that, when there is a lot of salt about on the roads I use the local 'handwash' on the C6 as it's far faster and easier to get rid of the salt on the bodywork
Commodore   
Thu Oct 11 2012, 02:09am
C6 Dave wrote ...

Depenss on your definition of 'Heavily Soiled' and the actual product being used.

I have been using Onedrywash - Click Here - on the Morris (occasionally on the C6 but it's a big car to clean) for a year now with no problems Chris.

A very good point raised there. Waterless products do have a wide and varied definition of what 'heavily soiled' means to them, and thus what they can cope with.

Based on nothing more scientific than the advice of posters on the Eco forum on Detailing World, I work on the basis that if dirt is caked on and is thick enough that I can dig a fingernail into it, then it's probably too much for my chosen waterless products to cope with on their own. A bit of pressure washer action, either on the drive or down at the local garage if I cant be bothered to dig my own washer out of the shed, will help soften and dislodge most of the crud in that scenario.

A well-sealed/waxed car will often not get into that state unless you've been offroading in it, as a well sealed exterior will make it much harder for dirt and other contaminants to stick to the bodywork.

The key with waterless products is to experiment, be careful and have plenty of clean, dry Microfibre cloths on hand. Probably the one thing I have learned since I got into detailing is that you can never have too many Microfibre cloths
cooter   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 10:40am
Member No: #25579
Commodore wrote ...

With winter hurtling towards us, it's a good time to talk about winter body prep and cleaning.

Surface prep: if you haven't already done so, now is a good time to clay your car, polish it at least twice and then apply 2-3 coats of a good wax, or sealant.

What do you meen by "clay your car" ?
I woild usually just put a coat of polish on.
Commodore   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 11:00am
cooter wrote ...

Polishing a car without performing some form of surface decontamination will invariably embed or grind in any surface particulants that have become bonded to the paintwork surface, such as tar, tree sap, iron fallout and soot, to name a few.

A filler polish such as AutoGlym Super Resin Polish will sit over the top of these contaminants, trapping them in the surface and leaving an uneven, rough feel to the paintwork.

A cutting polish like Megs Ultimate Compound will just grind those particulates into the paint, like fine sandpaper - obviously not good for the paint or clear coat.

Using a clay bar and a lubricant (quick detailed usually), you can remove the vast majority of these particulates safely and without damaging the paintwork surface. Rub the clay bar lightly over the surface, using the QD to lubricate both surfaces, preventing friction.

Once done, then polish the car, then wax it for a much shinier, cleaner and resilient finish.

Meguiars UK has a good video on its website showing how to clay a car. I will link to it later as I'm on the train at the moment posting with an iPhone. Visit meguiars.co.uk and go through the video library in the meantime.

Also, while im sure you already do his, just to be clear for others, after polishing a coat or three of wax or sealant is still needed. Polish alone won't protect the surface.
wozza   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 11:57am

Member No: #2
cooter wrote ...

Commodore wrote ...

Easiest way to see what clay will do, when you clean your car. Run your finger over the paint. Feel any rough bumps etc?

If so claying will get rid of those. Not something you need to do every single time, probably once or twice a year.
cooter   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 12:49pm
Just watched the video, but they seem to spray quite a lot of the product on the bonnet of the car, is this what you have to do
If so, I will need a couple of bottles for my GP
wozza   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 01:17pm

The product is just a lubricant. You can get clay that just needs water.
cooter   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 01:35pm
But is it as good as the Meguiars?
FakeConcern   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 03:20pm
Member No: #24127
Commodore wrote ...

No trouble at all, ping me your details and I'll get some out to you.

G101 is an all purpose cleaner and degreaser from Autosmart. It's a professional trade product for valeters and detailers, but very popular among those in the know, and Autosmart reps are happy to sell products to the general public. However, G101 is sold in a minimum size of 5 Litres and up (though there are several sellers on eBay who decant it into smaller portions and sell it on).

I'm going to decant some concentrate from my 5 Litre bottle for you.

Dilute 1 part product to 30 parts water for interior use and general all round cleaning. 1:8 for heavy soiling on door shuts etc and engine degreasing, 1:5 for bug & ink removal, and for use on heavily soiled wheel rims.

For those who were at FCS this year, it was G101 at 1:30 dilution that I gave to Darren to clean up his engine bay at the Megs Top 25 display.

Thanks Commodore!
Talk about nothing is too much trouble.
Got in this evening and this had been delivered today.

I only have to mention that my car has been detailed to death inside & he sends me a pot of G101 with a measuring cup so I can accurately dilute it.
To save you looking back, this is what my interior looks like-shiny Yeuk!

Thanks again Commodore, I won't get a chance to try it till next week (half term) as this weekend we are going up to Norwich to see the kids, but will let you know the results (& show them!) when I do.
wozza   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 09:41pm

cooter wrote ...

The Megs stuff isn't the best, it's all right though. When I used mine I just mixed a little soap solution with water and used that rather than the quick detailer they use. No point wasting quick detailer for clay lube.

The Bilt Hamber clay you can just use water though, and it is very good. Little harder to find though. Have to order it online. Can't just go into Halfords and pick up a kit like you can with the Megs stuff.
Commodore   
Thu Oct 25 2012, 08:54am
wozza wrote ...

cooter wrote ...

The Megs stuff isn't the best, it's all right though. When I used mine I just mixed a little soap solution with water and used that rather than the quick detailer they use. No point wasting quick detailer for clay lube.

The Bilt Hamber clay you can just use water though, and it is very good. Little harder to find though. Have to order it online. Can't just go into Halfords and pick up a kit like you can with the Megs stuff.

To echo Wozza - the Megs clay and QD combo is OK, and I would add is a really good starting point for someone looking to clay a car for the first time. That said, having used a few different clays the Megs one is the clay I keep going back to. It's just the most comfortable to work with for me, but also the most expensive of the ones I've used.

The Bilt Hamber clay is very good, and as you can use water as lube works out very cost effective. I've also had good results with Dodo Juice clay, used with their Born Slippy clay lube. Both are mail order purchases, whereas the Megs stuff can also be found in branches of Halfords, A1 Motorstores etc.
Commodore   
Thu Oct 25 2012, 08:55am
FakeConcern wrote ...

Thanks again Commodore, I won't get a chance to try it till next week (half term) as this weekend we are going up to Norwich to see the kids, but will let you know the results (& show them!) when I do.

No problem - happy to help out. Look forward to seeing the interior pics once you've degreased it.
cooter   
Thu Oct 25 2012, 12:36pm
wozza wrote ...

Had a search & found 3 of them, Medium-Regular-Soft.
Is there much of a difference between them?
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member