or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Darren's Detailing Database

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Commodore   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 08:01am
Member No: #21107
lincsflier wrote ...

Thanks for the tips so far. Just getting a detailing kit together for our new C4GP and wondered what you would class as an essentials kit if you know what I mean.

Essential products for a basic detailing kit:

* Prewash - ValetPro PH Neutral Snowfoam (can be used either with a Snowfoam lance, or as a liquid prewash with a manual pressure sprayer)

* De-Tar - Autosmart Tardis

* Shampoo - I recommend Megs Ultimate Wash & Wax - 4 capfuls in a 14litre bucket does the job perfectly. In very hard water areas, consider Megs NXT Cars Wash

* Rims - ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner

* Tyres - Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel (get a good applicator, it can get a bit messy)

* Polish - AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (the new 2012 formula doesn't turn plastics white)

* Wax/Sealant - Currently using GardX Stage 1&2 Sealant. Also had good results with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax

* General purpose cleaning - Autosmart G101 concentrate. Dilute to 1:30 for general cleaning (inc interior plastics and exterior badges), 1:5 for engine degreasing and wheel liners

* Interior fabrics - ArmorAll Interior Wipes for general maintenance and small marks

* Air Freshener - Chemical Guys Stripper Scent or your preferred California Scents tin

Hardware

* Microfibre cloths - Get lots of them. Costco sell a good pack of 36 large, good quality MF cloths for about £11

* Drying towel - Recommend you have at least two. I use a mixture of Meguiars Water Magnet waffle weave towels and Simonize waffle weave towels. The Meguiars ones are better, but are twice the price. Dodo Juice willy mammoth towel is also extremely good, as are the £3 ones from Asda.

* Brushes - Get a large soft wheel face brush, I use the £2 one from Asda. Also get the ValetPro detailing brushes for badges, keyholes, fuel filler cap and fine detailing work

* Wash Mitts - Get at least two, one for the top half of the car, one for the grimier bottom half and lower sills (don't mix them up). A third one just for wheels is also advisable. I use the 4pk of Noodle mitts from Costco (they cost a fiver a pack). Also, the Chenille Super Mitt from Wilkinson is very good (£2.50 each), and has a mesh back that can be used for dislodging bug splatter without scratching.

lincsflier wrote ...

Would you suggest hand or machine polishing etc.

Machine polishing, with a good DA or a rotary, can produce superior results, but I would recommend you start with hand polishing before moving up to a DA such as the DAS6.

lincsflier wrote ...

got the grit guard and bucket for £7 .

Not bad - where did you get that and what combo of bucket & guard did you go for?

I use two £1 14 litre buckets from Wilkinson, along with two ScratchShield universal adjustable grit guards. I also have a third bucket, without grit guard, that I use for rinsing brushes in.
ImaginaryLight   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 08:53am
Member No: #19242
How much does all this stuff come to?
Commodore   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 09:03am
For all the chemicals I've listed, you are looking at around £100-£120. Less if you do some thorough online deal hunting and/or take advantage of the regular Halfords 3for2 offer on car cleaning chemicals.

For hardware (cloths, brushes etc), £30-£50, depending on quantity of cloths you invest in.

My buckets were £1 each, and I paid £5 each for the ScratchShields.

A DAS6 DA polisher will cost between £60-£80.
wozza   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 09:40am

Member No: #2
Forgot to mention that one they buy all the extra needed pads and the compounds they are probably looking at closer to £200 for the polisher and the needed bits.

That is about the lowest you will spend on one as well, in all fairness you could spend more than that. It's the pads that cost a small fortune.
Commodore   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 11:31am
wozza wrote ...

Forgot to mention that one they buy all the extra needed pads and the compounds they are probably looking at closer to £200 for the polisher and the needed bits.

I would have to disagree a bit - you can get started with a good DA, backing plate and a good, small selection of pads and get change out of £100 (My pricing above was just for the DA itself, as choice and quantity of pads needed is highly subjective).

However, you can get seriously out of control on pads very quickly, and even good ones can be shot after a single use, depending on the severity of the cutting compound being used. There's also more cost involved if you are going to be a regular machine polisher as you'll really need a pad washer, which can cost you anything from £30 to £100.
wozza   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 12:01pm

Member No: #2
You could start with 1 or 2 pads, but doing a full car would be very difficult with just a cutting and finishing pad.

You ideally need at least a couple spot pads as well which also means another backing plate. It all soon adds up.

Just starting with the 3 basic 6" pads if you went for megs ones that's £30+. Thankfully they will work with the original backing plate. For smaller pads you need a new one which is around another £10-£15.

I know my own kit cost upwards of £200 when I picked it up. With me needing to order new pads again which is likely going to run me around another £60+
ImaginaryLight   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 12:23pm
Member No: #19242
Damn thats expensive!
Commodore   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 12:33pm
Detailing isn't a cheap hobby alas, but the results you can get are very satisfying.

As an aside, last week I bought a portable 12v power washer. Not as powerful as a proper mains-fed pressure washer, but it's completely portable with a self-contained water tank so I can do a half-decent car wash in the office car park or when I don't have access to my water supply and Nilfisk:

Untitled by Chris Green, on Flickr
Commodore   
Sun Sep 09 2012, 09:06am
As a quick aside (and couldn't think of a better place to post this), my C4 is currently one of the featured September cars on the Meguiars Shining Stars website - Click Here -

The pic is from the big inside and out detail I did last month.
FakeConcern   
Sun Sep 09 2012, 11:48am
Member No: #24127
Commodore wrote ...

As a quick aside (and couldn't think of a better place to post this), my C4 is currently one of the featured September cars on the Meguiars Shining Stars website - Click Here -

The pic is from the big inside and out detail I did last month.

I'm impressed! Looks great. How about some more pics for us?
Commodore   
Sun Sep 09 2012, 08:33pm
FakeConcern wrote ...

I'm impressed! Looks great. How about some more pics for us?

Sure thing - here you go, a few more pics of the car after the big detail:

3a by Chris Green, on Flickr

FakeConcern   
Mon Sep 10 2012, 02:00pm
Thanks for that, it looks great! Resolfens are so nice when they are really clean & how about that for a beading shot!
FakeConcern   
Fri Sep 28 2012, 02:34pm
OK this is a bit of an anti detailing question! The trader who sold me my new VTS has sprayed the whole interior with some kind of really shiny dressing which I hate. I like the interior to be really clean & NOT shiny! I used to use Armorall low gloss when it was available. Anyway the question is how can I get rid of this? It is everywhere and even in pools in the door handles & various cubby holes! (see pics)

Commodore   
Fri Sep 28 2012, 03:04pm
You need the degreasing power of G101 diluted to 1:30. PM me your address and I'll send you some.

If you can't wait - go to Tesco, get some Flash APC (get the one with Febreze built-in if you can) and dilute it with water 1 part product to 10 parts water. Won't be as good as G101, but it will shift a fair amount of that greasy dressing.
1 User said Thank You to Commodore for this Post :
 FakeConcern (28 Sep 2012 : 15:21)
FakeConcern   
Fri Sep 28 2012, 03:23pm
Never heard of G101! Thanks I willl send my details if you really don't mind.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member